Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Geo-tagging videos and photographs

I just have the 4K though not the Typhoon H. Is there anyway to geotag my pictures? Or will Yuneec come out with software soon to do so?
Hi Colin

I feel your pain. Did you manage to find a solution yet??? I would have never but a 4K if i realized i could not map. Cheers Kevin

Hi all
Its Eddie Spagetti again with no answers to geo-tagging. As mentioned above and as eluded to by Doc, it IS very complicated to geo-reference Q photos. Doc was going to lay out a solution that he has used many times with success , but I haven't seen anything yet.

Well, I am thinking hard about this. I might be able to create some tool if i can get a handle on the workflow. The part I am stuck at is how to sync the flight log with the video/images and then how to embed metadata in the images. ideally i would like to shoot a survey video, then splice that video into images with ffmpeg and finally, sync those images up with their position on the flight log and somehow embed all the flight data columns in the spreadsheet as metadata per image. i am still working on this concept and will continue to report my progress. the closest i am to a solution so far is utilize DashWare somehow, but instead of creating an overlay with gauges it will instead embed that info as metadata. it seems very possible to me, since it is displaying log file data in an overlay currently, there must be a way to have that data also embedded in the frame. then when the video is cut into images each image retains its metadata. i don't know. maybe i am crazy. it just seems the closest answer to me at the moment. i welcome all ideas. i am determined to solve this and with your help we will ;o) cheers kevin

Greetings. I have been following this thread regarding geo-tagging stills taken by the Yuneec Typhoon 500, 500+, and G (I have a couple of each in my fleet). If everyone is still anxious to do this, then I have this resolved. I have been putting together and testing a 'work flow' to batch process my Typhoon imagery to geo-tag the images so they can be used in Pix4D. My process is not trivial, nor is it difficult, it simply uses a couple of intermediate steps to batch-process the Yuneec ST10 flight logs to generate a synthetic .GPX file, then uses the GPX file to geo-tag the images. two already-existing software applications are used for these steps, so the solution is readily available. I have completed several tests using a few dozen 16 MP images captured at 400 ft AGL with probably excessive over-lap. The images get correctly geo-tagged, and they become input to Pix4D Mapper just fine. I am completing my final test introducing some ground control points captured following the flight (using my android galaxy running Mobile Topographer).
If the Yuneec Typhoon Pilots want this, I have been carefully documenting my workflow, with screen captures, so everyone can learn how to do this and relax, confident that they CAN use the Typhoon for aerial mapping. But I gotta hear from people or I'll keep this in-house.

Michael 'Doc' Vogt

Hi Doc,
Am desperately looking for a solution to geotag photos with the Yuneec platforms, either Typhoon H or Tornado 920, apparently will happen at sometime with an update but can no longer wait so have to find a solution. So if you are going to release a documented workflow with screen captures I would be very interested and grateful.
Many thanks

Reactions: Marty Westguard
Hi
Greetings. I have been following this thread regarding geo-tagging stills taken by the Yuneec Typhoon 500, 500+, and G (I have a couple of each in my fleet). If everyone is still anxious to do this, then I have this resolved. I have been putting together and testing a 'work flow' to batch process my Typhoon imagery to geo-tag the images so they can be used in Pix4D. My process is not trivial, nor is it difficult, it simply uses a couple of intermediate steps to batch-process the Yuneec ST10 flight logs to generate a synthetic .GPX file, then uses the GPX file to geo-tag the images. two already-existing software applications are used for these steps, so the solution is readily available. I have completed several tests using a few dozen 16 MP images captured at 400 ft AGL with probably excessive over-lap. The images get correctly geo-tagged, and they become input to Pix4D Mapper just fine. I am completing my final test introducing some ground control points captured following the flight (using my android galaxy running Mobile Topographer).
If the Yuneec Typhoon Pilots want this, I have been carefully documenting my workflow, with screen captures, so everyone can learn how to do this and relax, confident that they CAN use the Typhoon for aerial mapping. But I gotta hear from people or I'll keep this in-house.

Michael 'Doc' Vogt

Hi , can you please share your geo tagging workflow [email protected] many thanks

Hi

Hi , can you please share your geo tagging workflow [email protected] many thanks

Hi Janmichael
I absolutely love my Q500. And Maps made Easy works great after you get used to flying lawn mower style and triggering photos once every 3 to 5 seconds. I would stretch a white plastic table cover(the kind you can get on a roll) 20 feet out on the ground for scale. After receiving my map back from MME I would take the map into Photoshop and expand the 20 foot "scale" to 100 feet by copy pasting it 5 times, put a title and north arrow on it and done. MME doesn't need geotagged images for this and it has been very useful to me for sketch layouts for commercial and residential and park and rec sites. That being said my peeps here at the "firm" want topographical mapping with contour lines for design. LikeI said before,I love my Q500. 16 mp images with geotagging would be perfect with this bird but it doesn't have it. The orange commercial H looks promising but will it do autonomous flight, render geotagged images and have at least 16 to 20 mp images? We will find out soon.

Michael 'Doc' Vogt
Hi, Doc!
I’m very interested in your process.
Would you share it with me.
Best regards-
Tom Mitchell, Sr
“FLDirector19”

Greetings.

Michael 'Doc' Vogt

Yes I am interested in this Michael.

Reactions: WernerJB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval