Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Getting Established As A Pro

Reaction score
Hi All:
I own a Q500 4K & plan to take the part 107 soon (within a few weeks not months).
My dilemma is should I make my next move getting a backup Q500 4K & some batteries (I just have the one for now) or should I wait a little longer and get the Typhoon H?
One side of my brain screams to have a backup & more batteries, while the other side screams to upgrade and have more flight capabilities to offer in the Spring and beyond.
After this next purchase, I will have to let my fledgling business finance any additional purchases. I love my Q500 but it does have limits.

I would try and match my tools to the type of work I intend to do. The Typhoon H is a solid platform now, and as a beginner photography drone, fills that job quite nicely, the DNG's can make wonderful shots. I have no experience with the Q except I have seen them fly and they look very solid though I know they cannot handle as much wind as an H, so that is one downside. As for spares? I would always like to have batteries and other consumables but as far as an extra aircraft I think it depends on the kind of workload you have.

I found that for the past two and a half years doing real estate photography, first with my H and then later with the Plus, my philosophy has always been to put the money away for a new drone should I ever lose my main aircraft and the reason I did this is because of the life cycle of a given platform. Newer and better models are constantly being produced, company's have peaks and valleys and we never know what is around the corner. If you purchase a back-up (especially one at or near the end of it's life cycle) and you never need to use it, then you may miss the opportunity to get a newer and better platform and stay ahead of the technological curve that is always advancing rapidly.

I have had my Plus for nearly a year and a half and looking back I am glad I did not by a spare H Plus. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about the H Plus but by not buying a spare, I can now asses the current market and my needs and pick and choose the best drone for me, at the time I choose. Now obviously if you're doing four or five jobs a day, well then yeah, you will want to have a spare but I am guessing you are not at that point yet.

And lastly, whatever work you end up doing with a drone, keep in mind that this work will be achieved by a camera that was put, or held; in position by a drone - a drone is just another tool in a photographers or videographers toolbox, no different than a tripod or motorized glide - it simply is there to hold or move a camera in a manner prescribed by whoever is operating it.

The Q-500 is not the latest and greatest but the camera is good and the platform, although not fast, is stable. It’s also reliable so at this stage of the game save your money until you have enough to make a large step up instead of a small one. Batteries are almost always a good investment as long as you don’t buy you many of them.

Your selection of projects and the quality of your product will set the stage for everything else.

Last edited:
I have decided to go with the DJI Magic Mini Flymore Combo. I gave the Mantis G a serious look but the Mini just has better specs and gimbal. I will earn & save for an H3 this summer. Again, thanks for the feedback.
Be sure to checkout the MavicPilots forum. There is a lot of good info going on in the Mavic Mini section of the forum.

The one factor for the Mantis G over the DJI is being able to get rid of the NFZ’s when you have your 107 cert. With DJI there is no permanent bypass of there NFZ geofencing, where Yuneec has that on all but the Breeze.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlgebraMan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterfantastic