Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Gimbal mounts

Phew, My 'H' is an 'Amazon Warehouse Deal' return (bargain), and noting it had just the two gimbal mounting screws, I was worried...

Add some fishing line tied in a loop loosely through the rubber bushing mounts. Or some very small zip ties. Keeps things from spreading too far in event of a crash.

Hi Ron, I like the Haunting reference, are you thinking of scaring everyone off?
I have called mine Phœnix, waiting for the inevitable.
But at least if it happens, I have a good selection of engines to strap on the front to get me out of the desert.

That belt and braces idea is a no-brainer and as soon as the weather breaks i'll be back in the air.
The RealSense you have is also a must, but the price over the pond is prohibitive. Rats.
Regards, Brian.

:)

Brian, I now have 2 TH480 aircraft. This was the first one. My wife named it “Beetlejuice” with the hope that if it went AWOL we could say it’s name 3 times and it would appear. :D

I named my newer TH480 “Asimov” in honor of my life long favorite sci-fi author.

I got the RS on this one because as a beginner I didn’t know enough about RS and thought it would save me from stupid pilot errors. It can’t and didn’t. It’s only useful for 2 flight modes that I’ve not used but a couple times in over a year. The down facing sonar on the RS module will save you from landing with gear up though and that could be a boon for beginners.

rdonson,

Might it be possible to remove the zip ties you are using and employ some that are smaller in width and cinched a bit looser? My thoughts are what you have are on there a little tight and likely impacting gimbal performance. They sell some very thing ones at hardware stores about 4" long that work pretty well.

Good thoughts and thanks for commenting, PatR.

On my choice of cable ties: my wife had exhausted my supply of slightly thinner black ties prior to my installing these. My replacement order of cable ties were delayed and so I went ahead with these. @Steve Carr suggested black ties as they are more resistant to UV deterioration.

These are what I was waiting on and they arrived about a week after my mod:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MXTKKN6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They would have been ideal and if I feel the need, I will replace the ones in the photo with these.

I believe I thoroughly tested these ties and was looking closely to see if they restricted the movement of the dampers. I tightened them up a bit at a time until I was happy with the results. If you look close there are two things I did to improve how they work. First, I crimped the cable ties at the top with needle nose pliers so what passed through the dampers were more of a straight vertical line. Second, there is a bit slack at the bottom.

After a few dozen flights with both of my TH480s set up this way I've seen nothing in the 4K videos that causes me any alarm.

P.S. I did try some 4" ties but they didn't work well for me. A 5.5" or 6" tie made the task a lot easier and excess nylon is easily clipped.

My error on the 4” length. There are some 8” ties out there the same width as 4”. I had forgot those were what I first used. I use Dacron fishing line now.

OK, no problem. Just curious, do you think dacron fishing line is a better solution? What weight line would you recommend? I'm not a fisherman so I also have a question about tying fishing line for this kind of use.

Back in the day fishing for sharks was legal I used 80lb. Dacron and a 3’ wire leader so I had a lot of it stored in the shed. So that’s what I use. 80lb line in massive overkill . I would think anywhere from 25lb to 35lb would be more than adequate.

I like the Dacron line because it’s easier to set a knot than monofilament and weighs almost nothing.

I wondered about tying fishing line and as I hadn't 'fished' since wearing short trousers with a home made bamboo rod in the cut (canal), it seems there are two options that doesn't include a hook ~

Blood.JPG Surgeons.JPG

I think I will try learning the double surgeon's knot, then if I miss-catch the H I can sew myself up... Regards, Brian.

Reactions: rdonson
Too much work;) I just tie the two loose ends together in a simple double overhand knot. It’s plenty secure for this purpose.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frida Gold