Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

GPS Acquiring Problem

Reaction score
I have not used my drone in over a year, and now I cannot get a GPS lock which is resulting in the in 3 flashing green lights in safe flight mode. I have tried the following fixes, but my drone still isn't getting a GPS Lock. Any thoughts?
  1. Updated the firmware of the ST 16 to v03.01.b30
  2. Updated Drone firmware to Autopilot V1.16, Gimbal V1.25, Camera V3.3.34(A), RealSense Version NA
  3. Made sure my batteries are fully charged
  4. Left the drone and St16 in open area for over 5+ hours to make sure the Satellite almanac updates (over 18 satellites connect to both drone and ST-16)
  5. charged the unit so that the GPS battery is full. Operating voltage is 2.75 volts and when I turn off the drone power it drops to 2.72 volts
  6. Recalibrated the Compass
  7. Turned on and off the GPS option under "setting calibration"
I don't have any other possible solutions other than reading about replacing the flight control board.

Very likely trouble with the Flight Controller. I would suggest doing a remove and reseat of the FC before replacing it.

Their is a small battery in the GPS unit that will discharge over time. When the main battery is inserted this will recharge the GPS battery but it will take maybe one full battery to completely charge it. (You must insert a fully charged battery and let the drone sit). Replace the battery with a freshly charged one and switch on. Hopefully the GPS battery wasn't damaged and now holds the charge. The ST16 should now find the your H and bind. If the battery was damaged you can replace it, you can find the information on the site as to how to go about this.
Cheers.
Mike

Their is a small battery in the GPS unit that will discharge over time. When the main battery is inserted this will recharge the GPS battery but it will take maybe one full battery to completely charge it. (You must insert a fully charged battery and let the drone sit). Replace the battery with a freshly charged one and switch on. Hopefully the GPS battery wasn't damaged and now holds the charge. The ST16 should now find the your H and bind. If the battery was damaged you can replace it, you can find the information on the site as to how to go about this.
Cheers.
Mike
My s16 and H bind no problem, it just won't get a gps lock and will not start the props. I let the H sit for 5+ hours and now I have removed the FC Board and reset it and let's see if that works.

Reactions: Mike Irish
My s16 and H bind no problem, it just won't get a gps lock and will not start the props. I let the H sit for 5+ hours and now I have removed the FC Board and reset it and let's see if that works.
Yeah. Most of the Flight controller stays working. But the GPS part of it is a really common cause of "GPS not acquiring". After you run out of the easier fixes, like sitting it outside forever, ensuring the GPS battery is good, making sure the GPS connector and the FC board connectors are all clean, and any other "home remedies" you can find, then it's time to start changing things. The "things" would most likely be the GPS unit itself or the FC board. Almost ALL previous cases turned out to be the FC board. If you happen to have a second TH available, you could swap boards to see if the problem follows the board in question to the new TH.

Reactions: johnnyb57
I wonder what could cause this problem. I read it so often now that after no power for a longer time the FC board may cause the lack of GPS fix. I have no idea what process could cause that? Filter capacitors going dry? Or is it enough to disconnect/connect the MCU board (possibly clean the pins)? Very mysterious!
In the beginning as the first cases appeared in the flight logs was visible missing controller GPS flag. So, what makes the FC to "forget" the controller GPS information? All looks good so far, the number sats is OK, it records the coordinates and those looking plausible, GPS sensor and compass are shown as visible and healthy. A very intresting effect. Unfortunately I have never seen this and never had a MCU board in my hands that has had this problem.

Another question that came in my mind: What MCU boards are affected? Only the older one with SD-card slot assembled or also newer one or only newer one?

br HE

I wonder what could cause this problem. I read it so often now that after no power for a longer time the FC board may cause the lack of GPS fix. I have no idea what process could cause that? Filter capacitors going dry? Or is it enough to disconnect/connect the MCU board (possibly clean the pins)? Very mysterious!
In the beginning as the first cases appeared in the flight logs was visible missing controller GPS flag. So, what makes the FC to "forget" the controller GPS information? All looks good so far, the number sats is OK, it records the coordinates and those looking plausible, GPS sensor and compass are shown as visible and healthy. A very intresting effect. Unfortunately I have never seen this and never had a MCU board in my hands that has had this problem.

Another question that came in my mind: What MCU boards are affected? Only the older one with SD-card slot assembled or also newer one or only newer one?

br HE
Old & New F/C's have this issue, and it does seem to be after the Typhoon H has been in storage for some time, I wonder if Powering on the H every couple of months would stop this. I also wonder if these F/C's can be salvaged/Re-Flashed somehow, I don't think they are Bad.......

Yeah. Most of the Flight controller stays working. But the GPS part of it is a really common cause of "GPS not acquiring". After you run out of the easier fixes, like sitting it outside forever, ensuring the GPS battery is good, making sure the GPS connector and the FC board connectors are all clean, and any other "home remedies" you can find, then it's time to start changing things. The "things" would most likely be the GPS unit itself or the FC board. Almost ALL previous cases turned out to be the FC board. If you happen to have a second TH available, you could swap boards to see if the problem follows the board in question to the new TH.
I have tried swapping them to a working H, but it just has the same outcome.

So I take it the drone will be ok sitting on the kitchen table while just letting the GPS battery charge as should not need satalites as your only charging the battery I have just put 2 batteries on charge was going to go fly but weather has beat me so will just use the batteries to charge the GPS battery and has anyone done a test to know for definite that just 1 battery will fully charge it

So I take it the drone will be ok sitting on the kitchen table while just letting the GPS battery charge as should not need satalites as your only charging the battery
Correct, don't need the ST16 On for this either....;)

This answers the question if remove and reseat helps or not.
I don't believe that flash memory lost programming. If there bad cells why it is always the GPS fix?
All in all - mysterious...

br HE
Maybe it's the initial Voltage Surge when you Power it on after it's been Stored for a Long Period of Time......I think it's a Software issue Rather than a Bad Component, it's Baffling.

Maybe it's the initial Voltage Surge when you Power it on after it's been Stored for a Long Period of Time......I think it's a Software issue Rather than a Bad Component, it's Baffling.
Has anyone tried downgrading the firmware on the aircraft and then reloading up-to-date firmware to see if flashing cures the problem?

Does anyone have older versions of the TH firmware so this could be attempted?

Update to the group:

I replaced the FC and now I do get a GPS Lock, however it only stays locked for 45 seconds or so and then goes back to GPS acquiring. It states "GPS Lost! (Maintain Manual Flight). I am also running into an issue the OBS Avoidance has failed. How do I fix these?

Update to the group:

I replaced the FC and now I do get a GPS Lock, however it only stays locked for 45 seconds or so and then goes back to GPS acquiring. It states "GPS Lost! (Maintain Manual Flight). I am also running into an issue the OBS Avoidance has failed. How do I fix these?
"I replaced the FC and now I do get a GPS Lock, however it only stays locked for 45 seconds or so and then goes back to GPS acquiring."
You mentioned in the original post you were in an open area and let it sit for a long time (5 hours). Were you also in an open area for awhile in this case?
You also mentioned you getting more than 18 satellites. Are you still getting more than 10 consistently?

"I am also running into an issue the OBS Avoidance has failed"
That's normal until the aircraft is in flight. Were you still on the ground?

Update to the group:

Describe what the area is like where you are getting this type of GPS reception. Mine acts that way at my home in Michigan where there are a lot of tall trees on the property. What sat count are you getting on the aircraft and the controller? At this point, since you are now getting GPS Ready again make sure your ST16 has a good open view of the sky.

For the OBS are you on the ground or airborne with an altitude of at least 5 meters? Do you just have the sonar sensors or is RealSense installed?

Does anybody have a flight controller that has the GPS acquiring error that they want to sell cheap? It sounds like people have already tried to troubleshoot or fix boards with this error and I have no reason to think that I can to better, but I'm curious enough to want to give it a try.

Dylan

Reactions: Yuneec Skins
Does anybody have a flight controller that has the GPS acquiring error that they want to sell cheap? It sounds like people have already tried to troubleshoot or fix boards with this error and I have no reason to think that I can to better, but I'm curious enough to want to give it a try.

Dylan
Hi Dylan, email me I have many F/C's with this problem.

I have the same problem "GPS acquiring....................................." I just buy a Typhoon H used, this seller show me loggbook and flights was 24 after that drone have been stored in the hardcase in garage for abou 8 months, I went to summer cottage charged the batterys and then problem starts I updated latest firmware in to aircraft and ST16 OK, but left it outdoor for gps to lock but nop nop no luck cant fly this acquairing all the time locked green ready for about 5 sec started again to acquare, tested with a friends gps worked for 5 minutes then stoped, ordered a new GPS module but no luck....... same Sh..t again my question is what to do and are this so unreliable, Im volontary in SAR team and have also a FLIR Vue Pro on yuneec gimball, whats hapend in search mission in midle of flight GPS start to acquaire ???? is this + 1000€ drone a joke ???

I have a Phantom 3 advance and one Mavic Pro never any problems to fly only to expensive gimbals / batterys.

Please some sollutions or tips/trix I live in Finland Helsinki nearest service ???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval