Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H 520 organge due to birds of prey?

I always start reducing altitude when i hear a plane .i live on a big hill and when they are flying they dont gain altitude for elevation change i am probly 50 ft higher than were they are taking off from and with the trees around the area you just cant see or tell where they are coming from

Last edited:
Why not use red and white reflective tape?

Sure, I guess I could tape her Yorkie to the ground with it so the birds can't take him and get me in trouble. I'll just tell her the little dumb a$$ got himself tangled in it somehow. Plus I get the joy of watching her take it off of him.
Oh wait, you weren't telling me to use the tape...Oh well, I'm still blaming you if she catches me.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
well went flying today the birds of pray stayed their distance but i was at 140 ft up and suddenly i heard a plane i pulled left stick all the way down till drone was at 70 ft still in downward flight . then all of a sudden a plane zoomed over my drone and me at about 150ft i could see the people in it what the heck do we have faa rules for if a plane wont fly where its supposed to be

If you were able to obtain the tail numbers you could report it. If it was in an area where radar/transponder coverage was available one could call the area en route control authority to have them pull tapes to obtain the I.D. That has to be done quickly after the observation though.

That's been my big worry is the buzzards in East Texas

These Etex buzzards are just curious. They'll come along to take a look but they will not attack a drone and you can easily chase them away. They are a protected species.
Raptors are another matter.

Reactions: Jester
Thank you. Good to know. I've been worried about putting it up around my property, which is where I'd like to fly most often.

Ha ha good point Photo, am married to one and you are correct.

Getting back to the original post, has anyone painted their drone as I am considering that with the Typhoon H. Okay, granted it sounds nutty, but this would not be done with a paint brush and a gallon bucket of paint from Home Depot, more like a good quality spray paint.

Have looked for "skins" for the Typhoon H but appears there are none out there, perhaps someone knows more.

My drone mentor warned me not to do this, would add weight to the drone. Surely as I result could never re-sell it, maybe void the warranty, etc. But I was never one to listen. Thanks!
Here in Arkansas, there are several crows at times where I fly, they, seem to avoid mine before and after painting. I think it is the noise.

Just stumbled across this thread tonight, and had myself a very good laugh. Darn near wet the carpet!

Birds of prey are not prejudiced. They’ll attack and eat prey of any color.

And if they were prejudiced, they'd go after the H first, and would never touch a Breeze... there, I said it... :p

I have been lucky with the Breeze, it's so quiet compared to most that it doesn't appear threatening. I did have a near miss with a Great Blue Heron in Florida as I was hovering over a small stream. It saw my Breeze in time and veered left. If it had veered right I would have had a screen full of Heron on video.

That's. What I do when the hawks fly after it I slide the speed control to rabbit and floor it backwards and up and they get the point that they can't out maneuver the drone and leave it alone .I haven't flown the 920 much but they would have to be out of their minds to go after that thing

Paint that Breeze up to look like a frog and you’ll say goodbye the next time that Heron is around:)

That's. What I do when the hawks fly after it I slide the speed control to rabbit and floor it backwards and up and they get the point that they can't out maneuver the drone and leave it alone .I haven't flown the 920 much but they would have to be out of their minds to go after that thing

Buzzards avoid it, big time.

I have seen videos on youtube where large raptors have been trained to take down a drone. They do it instantly, no fear of the noise or blades at all!!

I have seen videos on youtube where large raptors have been trained to take down a drone. They do it instantly, no fear of the noise or blades at all!!

I could see these trained raptors get "retired" soon after one encounter with a drone. The spinning props can obliterate their legs.

I was watching the news where raptors are trained to intercept drones. I thought to myself, it is so inhumane.

They take them from below, its a common move often used by raptors to 'snatch' birds who are mobbing them. Buzzards do it all the time.
Their legs are nothing but bone and sinew literally, virtually no circulation. You could easily put a 'sock' of some sort on the bird.

I had a red tailed hawk as a pet before, he would dive bomb anything from above if it looks appetizing lol.

Now I have a cockatoo who would scream bloody murder when his nails are trimmed. They do bleed when done incorrectly and with birds, blood loss is a major thing because of their size.

Its a major thing because they have next to no blood at all, blood is heavy so an undesirable component of a bird!
I had a friend who's parrot, beautiful blue & gold Macaw nipped off a few feathers and bled to death overnight! Apparently if they pull a feather by the root a small valve closes but if the feather shaft is broken then they can bleed out.

They take them from below, its a common move often used by raptors to 'snatch' birds who are mobbing them. Buzzards do it all the time.
Their legs are nothing but bone and sinew literally, virtually no circulation. You could easily put a 'sock' of some sort on the bird.

The 920 props will chip and split a little bit when encountering non insulated power lines... They'll cut a bird's leg or head off if either were placed in the blade arc. Those 17" carbon props are nothing less than lethal around people.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mathewthomasmt