Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H 520 organge due to birds of prey?

Hawks seem to stay clear but buzzards will circle it and have actual dived at it but i noticed if i power it up to climb fast they take off and get far away

Hawks seem to stay clear but buzzards will circle it and have actual dived at it but i noticed if i power it up to climb fast they take off and get far away
That's been my big worry is the buzzards in East Texas. I had a close call with two of them last time I flew, but I just came back to me and dropped altitude as quickly as possible, but they were in pursuit until it got close to me and my presence seemed to deter further predatory action. Now I'm scared to go back up, and my selfish wife won't let me put her Yorkie out in the yard as an easier food supply than my H. Then again, there's more money invested in that **** things hair cuts over the years than there is in an H Pro.
I'm going to have to test the evasive maneuver you mentioned because I have too many trees on my property to stay low enough to avoid them but they are everywhere out here.

Jester, I like the diversionary tactic you mention, :D my wife has a little lhasa apso I could start taking with me when flying - for his exercise of course. We have the Turkey Buzzards all over down here too, and I have found that turning towards them is all it takes to make them a little less curious. Guess a little combat maneuvering triggers fight or flight in them and so far its been the latter.

Pat

Reactions: Jester
Jester, I like the diversionary tactic you mention, :D my wife has a little lhasa apso I could start taking with me when flying - for his exercise of course. We have the Turkey Buzzards all over down here too, and I have found that turning towards them is all it takes to make them a little less curious. Guess a little combat maneuvering triggers fight or flight in them and so far its been the latter.

Pat
Maybe that's where I blew it. I shouldn't have mentioned the "buzzard bait" thing. Shoulda just let him out to pee while I flew. I say you take the lhasa apso out. ;)
I wonder if the same rules apply to her and her dog as they do me..."If that thing flies away, don't ask for another one."
If her dog has a fly away, no more codependent little lap dogs. I like it.

Reactions: ThunderChicken
Maybe that's where I blew it. I shouldn't have mentioned the "buzzard bait" thing. Shoulda just let him out to pee while I flew. I say you take the lhasa apso out. ;)
I wonder if the same rules apply to her and her dog as they do me..."If that thing flies away, don't ask for another one."
If her dog has a fly away, no more codependent little lap dogs. I like it.
That's pretty cold for your wife to compare an "H" to a carpet peeing critter. Besides can the dog hover?

Surfers found some study that suggests bright color wide stripes deter sharks. Perhaps that would work with birds. Red and yellow?

Make it look like a huge stinging insect and just might have something.YELLOW JACKET or maybe KILLER BEES?

Last edited:
That's pretty cold for your wife to compare an "H" to a carpet peeing critter. Besides can the dog hover?
Nope, just tried. He fell like a rock when I dropped him off my dock. Useless little yapper can barely even swim. Maybe if I tie him to the ground while I fly I use him as bait to keep the H of the menu.

Nope, just tried. He fell like a rock when I dropped him off my dock. Useless little yapper can barely even swim. Maybe if I tie him to the ground while I fly I use him as bait to keep the H of the menu.
Was his battery fully charged and inserted?

638152fe9f55e9a3b921e8d585c470c4.jpg

Maybe he needs a firmware update?

Sorry couldn't resist:)
He needs a firm something...not sure about a firmware update. I think she got a bad unit that doesn't respond to commands.
I'm really thinking he would keep the buzzards away though. Not even a buzzard could stand that yappy little bark. I wish he had batteries. I'd remove them.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Doesn't respond to commands? Yep thats the same issues we're have with our little miserable mutt too, I think they're from the same batch. Sad thing is I think mine is gonna out live me, he just keeps on going like an energizer bunny.

Hello never had any bird problems but sure made a great visual assistance just using some good old colored Duct tape, I haven't noticed any deal with extra weight so I'm sure a little paint may only cost you a few seconds flight time. Also put colored duct tape on the battery flap door which you can tell the back of the "H" at quite a distance. This might deter a bird of prey or at least help your visual assistant tell you when you might be under ATTACK lol
Why not use red and white reflective tape?

well went flying today the birds of pray stayed their distance but i was at 140 ft up and suddenly i heard a plane i pulled left stick all the way down till drone was at 70 ft still in downward flight . then all of a sudden a plane zoomed over my drone and me at about 150ft i could see the people in it what the heck do we have faa rules for if a plane wont fly where its supposed to be

Tell you what my black Solo sure attracts a lot of attention here in the desert. I'm not sure what these birds are but they're quite large, maybe 6 to 7 foot wingspan, and they have circled my solo many times. They're not aggressive they seem more curious than anything.

well went flying today the birds of pray stayed their distance but i was at 140 ft up and suddenly i heard a plane i pulled left stick all the way down till drone was at 70 ft still in downward flight . then all of a sudden a plane zoomed over my drone and me at about 150ft i could see the people in it what the heck do we have faa rules for if a plane wont fly where its supposed to be
General Aviation pilots frequently break the rules, as do drone pilots. The only thing that helps prevent accidents is common sense and cooperation by both parties.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerfectPlanqa