Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H dropped out of the sky

Channel 3 (Yaw) is most definitely mixed with Channel 0 (Throttle)
It is clear in the Remote log when left Yaw was applied, the throttle channel dropped to zero. After 3 seconds the motors shut down. There are several instances in the log which show channel 0 dropping to zero as yaw is applied, but they were all less than 3 seconds.

The Yaw gets mixed with the throttle channel when the operator adjusts the rates for rudder control but does so by selecting J2 on the opening screen. The proper method of adjusting the rudder is to select the rudder from the right side of the screen before selecting J2. The opening screen is always the throttle channel.

If you open channel settings, your opening screen will look like this:

1562905449152.png Screenshot_2017-06-22-21-19-07.png

It is clear in the Remote log when left Yaw was applied, the throttle channel dropped to zero. After 3 seconds the motors shut down. There are several instances in the log which show channel 0 dropping to zero as yaw is applied, but they were all less than 3 seconds.

The Yaw gets mixed with the throttle channel when the operator adjusts the rates for rudder control but does so by selecting J2 on the opening screen. The proper method of adjusting the rudder is to select the rudder from the right side of the screen before selecting J2. The opening screen is always the throttle channel.

View attachment 17511 View attachment 17512

Yep that happened to me once.
Not fun. Keith Kuhn

Reactions: Sully53
Yep that happened to me once.
Not fun. Keith Kuhn
You should really delete your video on Youtube because it demonstrates how to do this exactly the wrong way. Anyone who watches and tries it will crash their H. I would feel a sense of guilt knowing that I mislead someone who watched it and crashed.

View attachment 17511 View attachment 17512

It makes sense now once you break it down like this. I noticed when I took off from the ground, when I yawed to the left I noticed the throttle increased or decreased. I didn’t think much about it at the time because earlier that day and my right stick was sticking and I sprayed some electric cleaner in there to clean the contacts and I must’ve hit one of those buttons that you talked about mixing the command inputs up on accident.

What should that input area look like?

So since this was my error, how screwed am I? Will Yuneec do anything for me?
Try an online chat with Yuneec and see what they say. Many of the members here are more experienced and more thorough than the techs at Yuneec. It's a flip of the coin whether or not it will be covered.

Since it’s so clearly depicted in the telemetry I doubt Yuneec will cover it. However, if the are approached with humility and admission of fault they’ve been known to do the work well below their standard rates.

I buggered a camera during an an attempted lens swap once. Admitting fault up front instead of seeking warranty work brought me a new replacement camera for the cost of their assessment time. $118.00 instead of over $500.00.

Since it’s so clearly depicted in the telemetry I doubt Yuneec will cover it. However, if the are approached with humility and admission of fault they’ve been known to do the work well below their standard rates.

I buggered a camera during an an attempted lens swap once. Admitting fault up front instead of seeking warranty work brought me a new replacement camera for the cost of their assessment time. $118.00 instead of over $500.00.
I suspect that will all change soon with the availabilty of parts possibly drying up. "We'd like to help but were unable too"

Steve when you have time can you open up B1 and take a picture of it? And is it on priority level 2?
I don't understand your request. Are you referring to Channel Settings? You can check B1 in Hardware Monitor. Also you can open Channel settings and press B1 and the graph will drop to zero.

Steve when you have time can you open up B1 and take a picture of it? And is it on priority level 2?

The priority level of B1 is 1.

I have entered this thread a little late, but am here to verify the conclusion of @WTFDproject concerning mixing of Yaw into the Channel 1 output from your ST-16. This was not present in telemetry from the end of 2018, but there was some evidence of it during the connection to the aircraft earlier in the day.

Note: neutral stick position gives a value of 2048. The channel numbering in the program used to analyze the telemetry is one less than the corresponding channel in the Channel Settings of the ST-16 (programming is easier many times with counters starting at 0 instead of 1).

Alt vs Thr vs Yaw 00024.png

The altitude reading is insubstantial in this screen capture as the TH is sitting on the ground. The thing to note here is the correlation of Yaw and Throttle being the exact opposite but in perfect sync. This would require moving the stick on a perfect angle without any jiggle in the process. This is the exact opposite of what we see in the same data comparison during the fatal flight a couple of hours later.

Altitude vs Throttle vs Yaw.png

In this screen capture of the duration from just before arming of the motors to the end of the telemetry there is a direct correlation of lower Yaw values causing a drop in Throttle values and a drop in altitude. More positive Yaw values also cause an increase in Throttle values and a rise in altitude. There are several instances where the Throttle value dropped to zero, but the duration being less than a sustained 3 seconds did not cause a disarming of the motors. At just past the 34:30 mark there is a 3+ second negative Yaw input that causes the motors to disarm and the catastrophic loss of altitude.

Great job catching the mixing of channels @WTFDproject!

I am not sure if the motors can be re-armed while in the air, but if so B1 would have to be activated for a minimum of three seconds. @Sully53, your attempt to restart that way was just over one second in length, but you didn't have enough altitude to accomplish the task. You were at 50 meters when the motors disarmed and it takes 3.1 seconds to fall from that altitude.

.......earlier that day and my right stick was sticking and I sprayed some electric cleaner in there to clean the contacts and I must’ve hit one of those buttons that you talked about mixing the command inputs up on accident......

How would Channel 3 and Channel 0 get mixed? That would have to be a deliberate change made in a specific settings screen on the controller? I don’t see how just spraying CRC to clean the contacts and accidentally hitting a button would do it.....

Reactions: Dougcjohn
It would not. Creating that mix required a conscious effort. It’s why I tell people to steer clear of those settings until they understand what they do and what could happen.

What happened here is, sadly, a perfect example of “chit happens”.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fred Garvin
As was said, check your ST16 channel settings.
Anything mixed on the throttle channel beside J1 & B1 is BAD!
Here is a demonstration:

Last edited:
The Red button and the throttle are on the same channel. There is some indication that you have another channel mixed with throttle. I think I see a correlation between Throttle activity and Yaw activity.
Check your channel settings. Especially if you've been working with them recently. In any case, look to see if you have Throttle (J1) mixed with Yaw(J2). It would show under the "properties" of one of the channels, probably Yaw.
@WTFDproject Excellent catch in examining the telemetry flightlog data! A great example & gained experience in examining and interpreting the data and the clarification it provided! A skill I personally lack, and never examined.

With it determined... or suggested as only method to produce the outcome, has that been accepted or acknowledged. No negative toward Owner, more of a learning for all. If performed by Owner, what was the intention, motivation and how should it have been performed? @Sully53 has indicated he pressed the red button in attempt to recover, and indicated spaying electronic cleaner, but hasn’t indicated he made / attempted making any adjustments in servo mix section.

The end result was Diagnosed & determined, I’d be interested in how it was created to avoid. Was it an instructional video or an article that encouraged or suggested better behavior of craft or was it some other motivation... if neither acknowledged what other possibilities? The most probable cause has been determined, and it’s assumed there was software interaction by Owner, what if that wasn’t performed, is there an alternative cause that could effect to be aware of and for Others worth understanding?

In some cases I think folks aren't going to admit they were fooling with the internal software. I just cannot see how software changes itself just out of the blue? The H as far as I can determine can only be done manually and does not have the ability to change itself internally?

Reactions: PatR

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis