Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H Gone Swimming

Reaction score
Recently took my Typhoon H out to get some nice shots of the bay on a beautiful sunny day in south Florida only to end up having it go for a deep swim. Every thing seemed to have been going fine up until the last few seconds of the flight. The whole flight lasted a little more then 6 minutes and never had any battery warnings . I realized with the drone about 50 yards in front of me and at about 75 feet of altitude that i was not getting any response from my inputs to the ST16. It felt like within the last few seconds the H and the ST16 where having trouble communicating until it loss all contact and would not respond. Once the drone stoped responding it began to move further away from me and losing altitude until it crashed into the water. I was unable to recover the H.

ive attached the telemetry for that flight if anyone can tell what happened please do.

Attachments

• Telemetry_00034.csv.txt
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
Doggone Roly. bad luck for sure.
I hope someone here can help you. Are you with Landing Gear Tech Company?

Lucky guess. You are where the real action happens.
I'm not as good at telemetry as several members who will be glad to look at it for you. Did you think about RF interference?

It looks like there were a bunch of warnings at the end of the flight, the only warnings listed in the log are Compass Cal.

You can see the errors at the end of the flight, they are the square waves at the end.

Attachments

• Inkednewplot_LI.jpg
    Inkednewplot_LI.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: Quagmire LXIX
Boy that does stink. How old is your battery? It looks like you took off after 5 minutes and the battery at that point was at 16.6v or around 95%, 7 minutes later your battery had fallen to 14.7 to 14.6v or 35-40%, still above LVC (low voltage cutoff) so either way you shouldn't have lost control but it looks like the battery really started to fall off at the last 1.5 minutes of flight.

How deep is the water way? I wonder if you might be able to net it if you drag back and forth a few passes or do you have any friends who are divers? At least it wasn't in the Ocean.

Then again, maybe Yuneec will look at the logs and send you a replacement.

upload_2017-7-18_15-25-49.png

Reactions: Quagmire LXIX
Lucky guess. You are where the real action happens.
I'm not as good at telemetry as several members who will be glad to look at it for you. Did you think about RF interference?
I guess I can't rule that out but I have flown this area a few times previously without any type of issue.

nechsproject said:
It looks like there were a bunch of warnings at the end of the flight, the only warnings listed in the log are Compass Cal.
You can see the errors at the end of the flight, they are the square waves at the end.

As far as warnings I did not receive any on the ST16 or at least I do not recall seeing any.

Boy that does stink. How old is your battery? It looks like you took off after 5 minutes and the battery at that point was at 16.6v or around 95%, 7 minutes later your battery had fallen to 14.7 to 14.6v or 35-40%, still above LVC (low voltage cutoff) so either way you shouldn't have lost control but it looks like the battery really started to fall off at the last 1.5 minutes of flight.
How deep is the water way? I wonder if you might be able to net it if you drag back and forth a few passes or do you have any friends who are divers? At least it wasn't in the Ocean.

Then again, maybe Yuneec will look at the logs and send you a replacement.
View attachment 6701

To be honest I did not attempt to recover it as I was extremely upset at the moment and had no way to recover it. I could almost guarantee it would be a total loss since the H is not waterproof and salt water wreaks havoc on electronics. Not sure the depth of the waterway but should be between 15-25 feet as some mega yachts pass through there daily.

OK, Roly, do this now if you have not already.

Call Yuneec in CA on the repair hotline, 1-844-343-9770. Leave a callback number if necessary. Their time is PT, 3 hours earlier than you, right?

Tell whoever answers exactly what you said in your first post. No use to mention any replies here. Say you do have the telemetry. You may need the serial number. Starts with "YU.......".

My guess is that Yuneec will take care of you. If you run into a roadblock, PM me or another Mod.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently took my Typhoon H out to get some nice shots of the bay on a beautiful sunny day in south Florida only to end up having it go for a deep swim. Every thing seemed to have been going fine up until the last few seconds of the flight. The whole flight lasted a little more then 6 minutes and never had any battery warnings . I realized with the drone about 50 yards in front of me and at about 75 feet of altitude that i was not getting any response from my inputs to the ST16. It felt like within the last few seconds the H and the ST16 where having trouble communicating until it loss all contact and would not respond. Once the drone stoped responding it began to move further away from me and losing altitude until it crashed into the water. I was unable to recover the H.
ive attached the telemetry for that flight if anyone can tell what happened please do.
I have looked at the telemetry and I don't see anything in particular that should have been a problem.
Can you upload the Remote_00034.csv

OK, Roly, do this now if you have not already.

Cal Yuneec in CA on the repair hotline, 1-844-343-9770. Leave a callback number if necessary. Their time is PT, 3 hours earlier than you, right?

Tell whoever answers exactly what you said in your first post. No use to mention any replies here. Say you do have the telemetry. You may need the serial number. Starts with "YU.......".

My guess is that Yuneec will take care of you. If you run into a roadblock, PM me or another Mod.

Ray thanks, I have already been in contact with Yuneec and they have reviewed the telemetry data and will be replacing the H under warranty. Their customer support was great especially that I could not confirm the serial number of the H since it is currently at the bottom of the bay ( I'm surprised the ST16 does not record the SN of the H it's linked to).

The reason I posted here was to see if anyone with an understanding of the telemetry data can explain in more detail what could have happened as Yuneec only stated there was a loss of contact and that it would be covered under warranty.

I have looked at the telemetry and I don't see anything in particular that should have been a problem.

Thanks for taking a look Steve, I've attached the remote log.

Attachments

• Remote_00034.csv.txt
    439.6 KB · Views: 15
Hey Steve, does the compass errors at the end of flight log mean anything? It looks like they were not occurring throughout the flight and at about the last 1/8 of the flight there were a handful. Kinda curious because I only get those errors when I being the H near my truck and it is on.

Their customer support was great especially that I could not confirm the serial number of the H since it is currently at the bottom of the bay

OK, being old and forgetful I make it a habit to record all valuable product s/n's upon receipt. (The seller probably has the s/n)
Wish you had said to start with that you had already contacted Y.

Hey Steve, does the compass errors at the end of flight log mean anything? It looks like they were not occurring throughout the flight and at about the last 1/8 of the flight there were a handful. Kinda curious because I only get those errors when I being the H near my truck and it is on.
I don't believe the compass errors were significant. They were likely associated with the landing gear being lowered.

Thanks for taking a look Steve, I've attached the remote log.
I can see in the remote log where you were reducing throttle for descent. The last 6 seconds the throttle went back to center but it appears the H kept descending. I presume this is what Yuneec was looking at as a possible fault.

Now this thread read like a good drama, started real low and then rise to victory!

Well done. Flight controller the culprit?

Now this thread read like a good drama, started real low and then rise to victory!
Well done. Flight controller the culprit?
Can't really say for sure. All we can determine is the H should have gone to hover when the left stick was released. We will not get any definitive information from Yuneec so this is the best we can do.

Thank you for taking a look Steve, I remember after beginning to bring it down I let off the stick expecting it to hover like you stated but it continued to drop altitude so I tried to give it throttle up but received no response and it eventually dropped into the water.

Last edited:
Sometimes I have similar problems , loosing contact getting contact again and so on. It can be at a distance of 30m or 500m. In this time my typhoon h is doing strange things. What helped in my case was: calibration of compass once at a flight day. Second, if something get strange, I start running and change my position. This looks funny, but helped me several times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop