Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H3 gimbal not functional

Reaction score
Hello,

After a lot of issues, and trial and error of not having the controller connected to the aircraft, fate has smiled on me and I can now fly the drone!
Unfortunately, I am unable to control the gimbal. It hangs there all “willynilly” and does not stay straight and level, but more cockeyed.
I do have video on the camera streaming to the controller, but when using the pan/tilt controls for the gimble…. Nothing.. any advice?

Not sure how long you have had it, but if it is still under the one year warranty you need to get a replacement. Unfortunately it may be a rough ride unless things have changed with Team Yuneec in the USA.
41E6DCD7-3229-4E24-B96F-3297EECEF5CC.png
Here is a screenshot from the US website showing the H3 being eligible for a 1 year warranty that I just captured this morning. Here is the link Warranty Information – Yuneec

Reactions: WTFDproject
I pretty much agree with @DoomMeister. If the camera is hanging loose and there are no beep codes sounding during start-up, this is probably corrupted gimbal firmware, a bad gimbal board or possible bad ribbons. Replacing the board or ribbons will require a shop repair, whether warranty or paid.

This is the gimbal firmware:

The image below appears to show camera reset buttons similar to many other Yuneec Cameras. It might be a good idea to at least try a reset of the camera. The two buttons are near the SD card.
ION L1 Reset Buttons.jpg

Reactions: DoomMeister
I pretty much agree with @DoomMeister. If the camera is hanging loose and there are no beep codes sounding during start-up, this is probably corrupted gimbal firmware, a bad gimbal board or possible bad ribbons. Replacing the board or ribbons will require a shop repair, whether warranty or paid.

This is the gimbal firmware:

The image below appears to show camera reset buttons similar to many other Yuneec Cameras. It might be a good idea to at least try a reset of the camera. The two buttons are near the SD card.
View attachment 28343
I have attempted to reset the camera to no avail. However, I will give the gimbal firmware a try. What would you suggest the best way to update the firmware? Via sd card? If so, how do you go about that?

I have attempted to reset the camera to no avail. However, I will give the gimbal firmware a try. What would you suggest the best way to update the firmware? Via sd card? If so, how do you go about that?
1.) Ensure drone and controller are both OFF.
2.) Format an SD card in FAT 32.
3.) Download the zip file (gimbal.zip).
4.) Extract the zip file to the SD card.
5.) Verify the file on the SD card is the extracted file (gimbal.yuneec)
6.) Put the SD card in the camera.
7.) Mount the camera on the drone.
8.) Start the drone.

Note: If the camera goes completely crazy and continues to go crazy for more than a couple of seconds, power off the drone quickly. Allowing any violent movement to continue will jeopardize the camera ribbons. If violent movement happens, firmware update is not going to work.

Assuming things go normally, give it plenty of time. It may try to initialize, go loose again, and repeat a couple of times. If it has not finished within ~5 minutes, it is not going to work.

1.) Ensure drone and controller are both OFF.
2.) Format an SD card in FAT 32.
3.) Download the zip file (gimbal.zip).
4.) Extract the zip file to the SD card.
5.) Verify the file on the SD card is the extracted file (gimbal.yuneec)
6.) Put the SD card in the camera.
7.) Mount the camera on the drone.
8.) Start the drone.

Note: If the camera goes completely crazy and continues to go crazy for more than a couple of seconds, power off the drone quickly. Allowing any violent movement to continue will jeopardize the camera ribbons. If violent movement happens, firmware update is not going to work.

Assuming things go normally, give it plenty of time. It may try to initialize, go loose again, and repeat a couple of times. If it has not finished within ~5 minutes, it is not going to work.
Sorry for the delayed response, I have been traveling and haven’t been able to work through the steps you provided until now.
After extracting the gimble.Yuneec file, mourning the camera/gimbal back on the drone, and turning it on, it doesn’t seem to be doing anything.
The drone starts up and does the ascending tone and flashing lights, but the camera and gimbal lie limp and hang there.

Sad to hear.
Parts are seldom available for the ribbons, and without knowing which ribbon is causing the problem it would be expensive to buy both.
Replacing the gimbal board requires proprietary software that is not likely to ever be released to the public.
It looks like this camera will need to go to a Yuneec Authorized Service Center.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval