Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 DataPilot (TM) Pics

The H520 has a completely different architecture to the Typhoon H, and Yuneec are clear that this is a commercial drone, and is distinct from the 'consumer' line up. The ST-16S is an upgrade from the standard ST-16, and the H520 has a new flight controller that supports much more sophisticated autonomous modes. So it's very unlikely that DataPilot will ever work with the Typhoon H.

I'm assuming we'll get additional announcements at InterDrone next week regarding software support for mapping and image stitching... watch this space :D

Yes Tuna, so I've heard, but as I said to Patr, Yuneec was very silent about hardware improvements on both H520 and ST16S, that is why I hoped that the DataPilot will be available for the basic H. What you've said is pretty much what I expect for a decent answer on the subject instead of saying "no it won't be available because this drone is more expensive than the other one" - without any valid info to back it up.

Logic would suggest the higher end developments will remain associated with the higher end products. From a personal perspective I truly hope that is the case. It would assist keeping the children out of the adult areas.

Reactions: AH-1G
Yes Tuna, so I've heard, but as I said to Patr, Yuneec was very silent about hardware improvements on both H520 and ST16S, that is why I hoped that the DataPilot will be available for the basic H. What you've said is pretty much what I expect for a decent answer on the subject instead of saying "no it won't be available because this drone is more expensive than the other one" - without any valid info to back it up.

Now that the embargo is lifted, I'm happy to talk openly about DataPilot™, as I have been actively involved in its development, featureset, GUI.
First; it will in no way be compatible with the Typhoon H. The flightstack on the H and the 520 are as different as Windows and Apple.
DataPilot is heavily rested on the SDK features of the Px4 flight stack that cannot communicate with the Typhoon H. Think of it as open loop vs closed loop development.

The ST16S can run the software, but it cannot run software for both applications installed. The hope of running both an H and a 520 on the same ST16S isn't going to be possible.
Non-square missions are very quick to build. Polygons with external turnarounds, 90 degree/crosshatch, etc all easy to build. The application automatically calculates battery swaps and manages battery swaps flawlessly. I've flown missions of up to 8 batteries.

Here is an image of a mission that is generated on the desktop version of DataPilot™ and emailed to the pilot directly to the ST16S, so that he can fly it while someone else designed the mission in another city/location.
upload_2017-9-1_18-31-53.png

Now that the embargo is lifted, I'm happy to talk openly about DataPilot™, as I have been actively involved in its development, featureset, GUI.
First; it will in no way be compatible with the Typhoon H. The flightstack on the H and the 520 are as different as Windows and Apple.
DataPilot is heavily rested on the SDK features of the Px4 flight stack that cannot communicate with the Typhoon H. Think of it as open loop vs closed loop development.

The ST16S can run the software, but it cannot run software for both applications installed. The hope of running both an H and a 520 on the same ST16S isn't going to be possible.
Non-square missions are very quick to build. Polygons with external turnarounds, 90 degree/crosshatch, etc all easy to build. The application automatically calculates battery swaps and manages battery swaps flawlessly. I've flown missions of up to 8 batteries.

Here is an image of a mission that is generated on the desktop version of DataPilot™ and emailed to the pilot directly to the ST16S, so that he can fly it while someone else designed the mission in another city/location.
View attachment 7095

Hi Eyewingsuit

Thank you for sharing information with us.

Do I have any questions. Rolling shutter effect? The DataPilot calculates the shooting rate of the images, but counting that for photogrammetry the camera would be the E90, what is the shooting rate of the E90? Can the flight speed of the H520 be modified to perform missions?

Thanks

Reactions: Jason Hagon
They need to have something for the H in the map area to compete with DJI and attract people to Yuneec!!!! You are not going to be an international competitor without providing what the consumer base is asking for??????

Hi Eyewingsuit

Thank you for sharing information with us.

Do I have any questions. Rolling shutter effect? The DataPilot calculates the shooting rate of the images, but counting that for photogrammetry the camera would be the E90, what is the shooting rate of the E90? Can the flight speed of the H520 be modified to perform missions?

Thanks

Arruntus,

Short answer: Yes! The rate of the H520 will adjust as needed.

The details will be forthcoming to confirm, especially when more of our colleagues take ownership.

The longer answer your questions, specifically about flight speed, shooting rates, all that... we have to assume those bases are covered. Looking at the screen shots provided so far, there is a lot taken into consideration already:

• Camera model - determines field of view, frame rate, et al.
  • overlap (front and side) - how far to move before taking another capture
  • altitude
All these are used to calculate the speed of the craft, taking into consideration the frame rate of the camera, the field of view, how far the craft has to move before taking another shot. Once the parameters are known as far as field of view and overlap, the DataPilot will calculate the width of the grid (parallel flight paths) and the speed the H520 will need to maintain in order to accomplish the programmed task.

Personally, I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Reactions: zandoli
upload_2017-9-2_11-53-54.png

This is a pre-construction survey of an airport in Utah. The jog on the left/west is due to the property owners there having concerns of the UAS over their property (easy to accommodate, but odd that they live next to an airport with skydivers, and they are concerned about aircraft on their side of the fence at 300'?)

Note the speed control. Again, this is the DESKTOP version of the app that also runs on the ST16S, but looks a little different on the ground control.

I'll posts some video shortly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayray and zandoli
The questions come because I'm used to calculating all the parameters. Using Mission Planner, which is designed to be used with all types of aircraft, it is necessary to know all the parameters of your drone and camera in order to carry out the missions without problems. In this case, DataPilot is designed to always use the same aircraft, many parameters do not change, the only thing that changes would be the cameras whose characteristics are already known. Much simpler.

Thank you both :)

The questions come because I'm used to calculating all the parameters. Using Mission Planner, which is designed to be used with all types of aircraft, it is necessary to know all the parameters of your drone and camera in order to carry out the missions without problems. In this case, DataPilot is designed to always use the same aircraft, many parameters do not change, the only thing that changes would be the cameras whose characteristics are already known. Much simpler.

Thank you both :)
DataPilot™ also allows for manually determining camera parameters, grid preferred parameters in the event you choose to use different lenses. For example, those that might modify their camera lenses for various purposes, may create their own profiles for missions.

DataPilot™ also allows for manually determining camera parameters, grid preferred parameters in the event you choose to use different lenses. For example, those that might modify their camera lenses for various purposes, may create their own profiles for missions.

Being able to create a profile of the changes you make to the lens is a great advantage as well. The desktop version is also a great advantage, creating missions on a computer allows you to do it with much more comfort and accuracy so you can then send them. In the field, connecting the radio controler doing tethering by cell phone, having internet connection and being able to download the missions directly is also a good advance by eliminating intermediate steps.

Many advances, increasingly satisfied with the features of the platform. If you know more features and want to share them with us, please don't stop :D

Thank you very much :)

If you know more features and want to share them with us, please don't stop :D

Thank you very much :)

Happy continue to answer questions about DataPilot™; it's been my consuming work/development for the past 6 months.

Hello Eyewingsuit,

There are a few other questions regarding DataPilot™ that I am interested in knowing the answer to.

As shown above, you are able to alter the flight speed. Does DataPilot automatically adjust the flight speed taking into account the flight altitude and image overlap setting? For example, as flight altitude decreases and image overlap increases flight speed will decrease in an attempt to reduce rolling shutter and motion blur effects.

I noticed there also seemed to be an option to ‘Hover and capture images’, is this feature designed mainly for very poor light conditions where movement would cause motion blur?

Is it possible to change many of these parameters during the mission, or are they uploaded and saved to the bird for the mission duration?

Does the system provide feedback for estimated motion blur in real time, or provide a ground image footprint similar to that of DJI map pilot?

When completing the survey is it possible to have a live view from the camera, as well as displaying the locational/ position of the bird along the survey route?

Finally, is it possible to load other data sources such as SRTM data to get the system to ‘follow’ the terrain to keep a consistent GSD when covering areas of differing elevations?

Thanks in advance, Jason.

Reactions: arruntus
Hello Eyewingsuit,

There are a few other questions regarding DataPilot[emoji769] that I am interested in knowing the answer to.

As shown above, you are able to alter the flight speed. Does DataPilot automatically adjust the flight speed taking into account the flight altitude and image overlap setting? For example, as flight altitude decreases and image overlap increases flight speed will decrease in an attempt to reduce rolling shutter and motion blur effects.

I noticed there also seemed to be an option to ‘Hover and capture images’, is this feature designed mainly for very poor light conditions where movement would cause motion blur?

Is it possible to change many of these parameters during the mission, or are they uploaded and saved to the bird for the mission duration?

Does the system provide feedback for estimated motion blur in real time, or provide a ground image footprint similar to that of DJI map pilot?

When completing the survey is it possible to have a live view from the camera, as well as displaying the locational/ position of the bird along the survey route?

Finally, is it possible to load other data sources such as SRTM data to get the system to ‘follow’ the terrain to keep a consistent GSD when covering areas of differing elevations?

Thanks in advance, Jason.
I'll grab a few and let eyewingsuit finish it up.

Hover and capture is used to get a better image. The 520 will stop and take the image along the survey route. This adds a little time to the mission, but you do get a better image since the camera and airframe are both stationary when the image is captured.

Changing mission parameters while the bird is on a mission is not doable. The mission is saved to the bird and executed to start by the DataPilot.

Yes, you can view where the bird is located in the mission and camera live view. You can toggle between the screens. One will be the larger screen and the other will be a smaller one in the lower left hand corner.

As @Eyewingsuit has shown, there are a number of people on the forums who are working closely with Yuneec on the new machine, and who can comment on these things. However, it is up to Yuneec when some of the details are released - this is a competitive industry, and no-one wants to damage a product launch by giving away information they may have received in confidence. Please don't give people a hard time if they're a little cagey.

Once InterDrone has passed, I hope that we'll be in a position to talk in more detail about some of the possibilities the H520 opens up. DataPilot is looking like an industry leading choice, and I know that @Eyewingsuit is dedicated to producing something that really moves the game on from the existing mission control tools. The H520 is a ground up new machine, and the ST-16S and DataPilot are a key part of that.

Reactions: BroVari and AH-1G
there are a number of people on the forums who are working closely with Yuneec on the new machine, and who can comment on these things. However, it is up to Yuneec when some of the details are released

Tuna is correct. However, I can assure members in this thread that you are getting correct info "from the horses' mouth", as it were.:cool:
The craft is officially released, and info embargoes are no more.:D

Let me personally add that it serves no purpose to try putting the Typhoon H into the same picture as the 520. The 520 internal design and guts (pardon my language) are completely different. I'd be the first to want my THs to have the 520 attributes; it ain't gonna happen. Yes, a few things may criss-cross, but very few.

Happy flying.:)

Well said, Tuna and Ray.
There will continue to be developments around the aircraft; the testing team identified several opportunities that time did not permit features to be incorporated (yet). With the SDK, don't be surprised if several applications don't start jumping out of the woodwork.

To give an idea of testing, here is a music video where the H520 was used, and the first "public" testing of DataPilot™. It was a nerve-wracking moment, using a pre-beta unit on an actual shoot. You can see Typhoon H in the background as standby aircraft. Look closely at the first shot and you can see DataPilot™ on the old ST16.
The cameras are what have become the E50 camera.

(Kap G and Chris Brown).
This project was shot in the first week of June. Enjoy!

upload_2017-9-4_9-19-56.png

upload_2017-9-4_9-21-57.png

upload_2017-9-4_9-22-44.png

Last edited:
Reactions: zandoli and Bob520
Ah, great work.
In the final pic, who's the dude in the middle? Looks familiar somehow....:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig