Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

h520 gimbal and flight info plus other items

Reaction score
according to the h520 manual page 46 you have to have the camera attached to get full flight status. without the camera gimbal you have no info on gps, battery ,speed, direction and other critical info. So far this pretty much means you need the camera to use this aircraft. the question is can the camera head (part the provides the video) be disabled with the rest of the gimbal full working and get full telemetry data to the st16s controller. what part of the gimbal enables the telemetry to be sent to the h520 st16s controller? Also hot swap cameras is out of the question as well page 4. On the maintenance guide what list of work is done for TBO or time between overhaul at the 500 hour in service mark? Is the annual flight maintenance same as the overhaul service. If not what work is done to the h520 for the overhaul service.

I'm not sure why you'd want to disable the camera, but the gimbal basically maintains a (wifi, 5.2Ghz) data link to the ST-16, which is used for transmitting telemetry, as distinct from the (2.4GHz) radio control link which is used for transmitting manual control from the ST-16. I've not had a chance to run detailed tests, but there is some complication about switching links if one goes down on the Typhoon H. However, the core message is data (telemetry) goes over the data link. That doesn't prevent you hot swapping a camera (telemetry whilst you're doing so will basically be reporting nothing of interest), but without testing this on a live machine I can't confirm. Not having the camera may also prevent you from running waypoint missions - again, I can't confirm this without a machine to test.

As for your other questions, I suggest you speak directly to Yuneec.

Reactions: PatR
I am very interested in the resolution of this question.

I am evaluating the H520 for my next platform. And, I need something that can carry my sensors of choice, not just the few that the manufacturer sells. (for example, my multi-spectral sensor) If carrying my own sensor means no telemetry, then this is a deal breaker. If every gimbal and mounting bracket must include an antenna, this becomes expensive and very limiting for a "professional" platform.

Thanks for any information you can provide about these telemetry limitations and potential modifications /solutions.

Reactions: arruntus
I'm not sure why you'd want to disable the camera, but the gimbal basically maintains a (wifi, 5.2Ghz) data link to the ST-16, which is used for transmitting telemetry, as distinct from the (2.4GHz) radio control link which is used for transmitting manual control from the ST-16. I've not had a chance to run detailed tests, but there is some complication about switching links if one goes down on the Typhoon H. However, the core message is data (telemetry) goes over the data link. That doesn't prevent you hot swapping a camera (telemetry whilst you're doing so will basically be reporting nothing of interest), but without testing this on a live machine I can't confirm. Not having the camera may also prevent you from running waypoint missions - again, I can't confirm this without a machine to test.

As for your other questions, I suggest you speak directly to Yuneec.

I'll try to understand. On the ST16S we have three antennas. One in 2.4 Ghz is used to control the aircraft. Another in 5.8 Ghz is the video link. So far, so good. The remaining antenna is not the telemetry antenna? Normally at 433Mhz or 915Mhz depending on the geographical area? Maybe it uses another frequency but in the end, it's not the telemetry antenna?

If this is so, I don't know but in principle the logic says it is. Not having no video signal available, or not having a camera connected which is the same, should not influence the reception of telemetry.

I don't think it's a link switching problem. The hardware supports it without any problem, remember that the hardware it is different from the H480 that I don't know how it worked. Some systems only send endebite telemetry in the video signal but then it makes no sense to have 3 antennas.

Based on my poor knowledge and after giving it a lot of thought I only find an explanation. Yuneec does not want third party payloads to be used to avoid compromising the integrity of the aircraft's flight characteristics. I believe that it is rather a business decision.

I am very interested in the resolution of this question.

I am evaluating the H520 for my next platform. And, I need something that can carry my sensors of choice, not just the few that the manufacturer sells. (for example, my multi-spectral sensor) If carrying my own sensor means no telemetry, then this is a deal breaker. If every gimbal and mounting bracket must include an antenna, this becomes expensive and very limiting for a "professional" platform.

Thanks for any information you can provide about these telemetry limitations and potential modifications /solutions.

Carriage of custom payloads requires a custom airframe. If you need a payload adaptable platform take a look at Aerial Alchemy. Not cheap, but **** good.

Carriage of custom payloads requires a custom airframe. If you need a payload adaptable platform take a look at Aerial Alchemy. Not cheap, but **** good.

I don't want to hijack this thread - the OP is about the need to have a Yuneec camera & gimbal attached in order to receive full telemetry from the H520.

This appears to be true. If you look at the drawing on page 5 of the manual, the 5.8GHz antenna is mounted on the bottom of the gimbal.

This design precludes flying without a camera (for example, if you want to practice in a new environment without risking your camera) or carrying your preferred sensor (for example, my multi-spectral sensor) AND also monitor battery status, etc.

This is a real shortcoming for a platform that is being marketed as a "professional" tool.

[A "custom" payload does not _require_ a custom airframe. The manufacturer of my bird provides flexibility so that each professional customer can readily integrate the sensors of choice. I don't expect Yuneec to have an integration package for every possible sensor on day 1. My misgivings are about the decision to marry the telemetry antenna to their few available cameras/gimbals, making it more difficult/expensive for independent developers to create novel solutions.]

I waiting to Monday and contacting terrestrial imaging they have a knack of find way to get things to work . example they successful with making a custom gimbal for cgo3+ and cgo et for h920 as well a dual cam setup as in two different camera heads working in fixed front the other 360 control for h920. they were also able to get teamwork on the st16 on the cgo3+ and cgo et but not on cgo4 though. granted that on the h920 plus. to figure this out I need to know how the 520 camera work at the circuit level. do I have to have the camera head or can I remove the camera head and get the info needed.it be easier to not need the camera head so I can figure out how to mod with a plug in solution off of mainboard cable to the h520 gimbal. if it can be done along the line of the cgo3 non + found q500 gimbal. I do not want to rely on the gimbal rails of all possible.

I mistyped the area of (I have to have the camera) should be do I need to have the camera head. the reason for the plugin mod is when using camera you remove plug that contains custom gimbal circuit from socket that is hard wired to the gimbal. and then attach the camera of your choice to the gimbal. you can not have both at the same time. bascialy you have a ghost camera setup.

the other way and not risk the warrenty is make a dummy gimbal from a camera. as in remove the lens and place tape over the sensor.

either way going to require a working camera to hack the camera circuitry. but one way won't also require direct drone body hacking as well. just a additional part that has to be placed on and off the drone like a fully working camera.

good news after veritgodrones is shipping my drone and camera today (yes I did get e90 to use this unit a compatible camera is all but mandatory) they finally got it in. looks like I be able test this weekend sept 30 and oct1st if the weather holds out. got my electrical multimeter ,solder iron, solder, and a ec3 lead (got a ec3 to ec2 no wire adapters) ready to modify the st16s power port to take either st16 battery. Since the batteries are same voltage and amps just have to find the main power rails and make 2 solder connections. plus a small plastic box to hold the h480 st16+ battery.

You still haven't explained what you're trying to achieve? It would really help us to help you if you told us why you want to disable the camera in this way.

The change in the gimbal arrangement between the CGO3+ and E90 is interesting. Having a separate data PCB means that it should be easier to develop new cameras, or even non-camera payloads. I don't know if that's the case, but certainly it's an improvement on having the 'all in one' solution of the CGO3+

the ability to get the fly the h520 and get all data need for flight but no video without risking the payload on the h520 if a mishap happens.

I blew 2 cgo3+ cameras in mishaps and with this new aircraft. I want to fly it by hand and know what my gps , speed , aircraft battery life ,compass heading are. and get to know the h520 very well and this forces me to fly strict line of visual sight operation no more than 750ft from controller location. before even using the camera.

the st16s controller battery mod is whats good of having 12 or more charged batteries for the h520 if the controller battery which only comes with one and no way of getting more for atleast 2 months last only for 3 to 4 of the h480 batteries 1hour and 20 min flight time then to continue on it takes 5 hours to recharge and can be only recharged though the controller not a separate battery charger. if the st16 and st16s are equal voltage and amps just different connectors keeping from be able to use all 12 h480 batteries in near constant flight. Also in tether system what good is it if the controller has a severe limited on power duration.

side note going to contact terrestrial imaging and see how much the dual h920 camera gimbal is and see if I can adapt it to the h480 gimbal plate on the h480. well if a Samsung 360 camera was installed by others on the roof of the h480 and working. with a little additional wire mod could have a poor man dji matrice 210

I blew 2 cgo3+ cameras in mishaps and with this new aircraft. I want to fly it by hand and know what my gps , speed , aircraft battery life ,compass heading are. and get to know the h520 very well and this forces me to fly strict line of visual sight operation no more than 750ft from controller location. before even using the camera.

I believe the answer to this and to your original post is that although you can bind a 520 without cam present, and can fly it manually, there will be no info collected or displayed. Not even the battery voltages. Please do not do this, use the 520 in accordance with the Owners Manual.

Go slow, get a dozen short easy flights in an open area to orient yourself with the 520 flying characteristics, the screen display including icons that open up with details, etc. Do the calibrations before you fly (camera must be attached in calibrations).

Good luck...

Reactions: Tuna and AH-1G
I agree with Ray. Going to great lengths to modify your H520 will not help you build confidence flying an unmodified H520.

Short regular flights are a good first step - don't underestimate how much an extended flight will tire you and decrease your attention and ability to fly safely.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marcojanson67