Welcome to YuneecPilots.com!

1. ArltTech

Does Yuneec indicate a maximum wind speed that is deemed operable/safe for the 520 for tower inspections? This would be for AGL wind speed, and since most turbines provide wind readings it would be useful information for both parties involved. So how close is safe and at what wind rating...maybe too many variables for a clear answer.

Has anyone performed an E90 vs E50 for inspection quality? I have seen others but not these two head to head.

These two topics are closely related.

2. PatR

I don't know wind limitations, have heard about flying in 30+ mph wind but can't verify. The few images I've seen thus far comparing the 50 to the 90 in an inspection type application has me convinced the 50 is the better choice for that type of work.

#2 PatR, Oct 12, 2017 at 1:23 AM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 1:36 AM
  3. gwhuntoon

Here is a test and video Uwe Loewer did with the H520 on a beach in France with wind gusts up to 50mph.

4. PatR

For Beaufort Scale reference, the following:
    Beaufort Wind Scale

The video shows some pretty strong wind gusts but the ocean's white caps suggest the constant wind was between 15 and 25mph, which is consistent with the way the camera strap on the tripod is reacting to the wind. The blowing sand in the beginning was a clear indication of wind speed above 30mph for that period. The video certainly demonstrated the 520 will perform well and remain controllable in strong winds. I still love his landing:)

#4 PatR, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:35 AM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 10:42 AM
  5. ArltTech

No doubt a hex like the 520 is the way to go over a quad for wind. The decision to make for me is whether you can safely get close enough to a tower in wind conditions you routinely encounter at inspection heights, and if so is there a benefit for the E90 over E50 or vv. For example would the 90 outperform the 50 significantly at 5-15 meter range, or when does the focal length of the 50 add benefit over the resolution of the 90?

It would be great to see a chart of wind speed against GPS drift radius, maybe someone wants to do some testing that likes flying in wind

6. FlyaDrone

Her is a much more detailed high wind test flight with comparison of H520 vs. DJI P4 and Inspire 1. Recorded 35mph sustained with video recording of 50mph gust.