Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

H520 - Payload Drop (from skids)

I recall following you on Commercial Drone Pilots, but it became another DJI forum.
Glad to see you over here!

I bounce around several forums (I have a sUAS addiction LOL) but spend most of my time here, Phantom, and Commercial Drone pilots.

I do agree the majority of users there are using DJI products simply because they have such a large market share. I'm doing my best to talk Yuneec H520 as often as i can over there LOL.

Commercial Drone Pilots Forum is a good place to learn ideas and techniques to use in other business ventures.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
I bounce around several forums (I have a sUAS addiction LOL) but spend most of my time here, Phantom, and Commercial Drone pilots.

I do agree the majority of users there are using DJI products simply because they have such a large market share. I'm doing my best to talk Yuneec H520 as often as i can over there LOL.

Commercial Drone Pilots Forum is a good place to learn ideas and techniques to use in other business ventures.
I was over there for several months when it first started, it was fine and I did learn a bit.

Ok I made (4) test drops this evening.

1. 2-way radio, PEX rod, with a 3' string (lots of wobble/rotation of payload) dropped from 10'
  2. 2-way radio, PEX rod, solid mount to PEX dropped from 10'
  3. 2-way radio, PEX rod, solid mount to PEX dropped from 60' and using a "target" for the drop area
  4. 2X-Large Full Rain Suit (aprox 2lbs), PEX rod, solid mount dropped from 15'

Here's a video we slammed together showing today's testing:

Ok I made (4) test drops this evening.

1. 2-way radio, PEX rod, with a 3' string (lots of wobble/rotation of payload) dropped from 10'
  2. 2-way radio, PEX rod, solid mount to PEX dropped from 10'
  3. 2-way radio, PEX rod, solid mount to PEX dropped from 60' and using a "target" for the drop area
  4. 2X-Large Full Rain Suit (aprox 2lbs), PEX rod, solid mount dropped from 15'

Here's a video we slammed together showing today's testing:

Nice, BigA!

Two things...

if you’re getting rid of your Inspire, time to change your intro clip, especially when highlighting your H520! (This is intended as “tongue in cheek”... just a good natured jab.)

Dropping the transmitter... is it in a “cushioned” protective bag? Is see you state “protective” but wondering as to weather only or impact as well.

Thanks for the demo and spurring on more ideas.

Jeff

Reactions: BigAl07
Good aim, you've hit the bull's-eye (This expression didn't know)
See you learned something new,

We all know it means to aim for the centre of the target, but why is it called a "bulls eye?"

BULL'S EYE - "There are many plausible ways to explain this term, all of them based on a bull's eye, which is about the same size as the small black spot at the dead center of a target. Bull's-eye targets were not used in ancient archery contests, as in commonly thought, but were introduced in England as targets in rifle and handgun competition. Perhaps the bull's-eyes in them were simply named for their resemblance to a bull's eye. But it is possible that bull's-eyes take their name from a British coin called the bull's-eye, which was worth a crown, or five shillings. This coin was in circulation in the early 1800s, about the time bull's-eye targets were introduced, and it would seem more logical to name the target centers after flat coins than after the round eye of a bull. As for the coin, it was so named in the late 17th century, possibly because the one-crown piece was often bet on the outcome of a bull-baiting contest; when one put money 'one the bull's eye' one was betting on the bull, just as today we are said to put a bet on a horse's nose." From the "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

Good aim, you've hit the bull's-eye (This expression didn't know)

Thank you sir. It was partially luck (it was the first attempt but not very high) but also I've practiced doing this hundreds (or more) times with the Inspire so I have a general feel for what the site picture looks like from the camera to help get close.

Nice, BigA!
if you’re getting rid of your Inspire, time to change your intro clip, especially when highlighting your H520! (This is intended as “tongue in cheek”... just a good natured jab.)

Yes I agree. I may have to do exactly this in the future. The problem is I have so many sUAS how do I pick which one to feature LOL! Maybe I should make an intro with all of them in the video :)

Dropping the transmitter... is it in a “cushioned” protective bag? Is see you state “protective” but wondering as to weather only or impact as well.

Thanks for the demo and spurring on more ideas.

It's wrapped in several layers of Bubble Wrap and this is placed inside a water tight diving bag (made for phone/camera when snorkeling etc). This is a DEMO radio (non-operational) that we use from testing and when teaching Emergency Services. No sense in dropping a working radio over and over and over again if you have a "Dummy" to practice with.

It's my pleasure. I'm going to refine my equipment and make it look more presentable before I go teach next week on the state (SC) level using it.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
See you learned something new,

We all know it means to aim for the centre of the target, but why is it called a "bulls eye?"

BULL'S EYE - "There are many plausible ways to explain this term, all of them based on a bull's eye, which is about the same size as the small black spot at the dead center of a target. Bull's-eye targets were not used in ancient archery contests, as in commonly thought, but were introduced in England as targets in rifle and handgun competition. Perhaps the bull's-eyes in them were simply named for their resemblance to a bull's eye. But it is possible that bull's-eyes take their name from a British coin called the bull's-eye, which was worth a crown, or five shillings. This coin was in circulation in the early 1800s, about the time bull's-eye targets were introduced, and it would seem more logical to name the target centers after flat coins than after the round eye of a bull. As for the coin, it was so named in the late 17th century, possibly because the one-crown piece was often bet on the outcome of a bull-baiting contest; when one put money 'one the bull's eye' one was betting on the bull, just as today we are said to put a bet on a horse's nose." From the "Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins" by Robert Hendrickson (Facts on File, New York, 1997)

It's never too late to learn something new every day :)

Thank you for the history lesson, I found the expression very curious but I didn't think to look where it came from :eek:

The translator I use, apart from to drive you crazy many times as I don't review what it translate, seems to serve for more things :p

I like this system better, not only because of its simplicity, but also because of how light it is. It should also take into account the length of the cord of the payload, the shorter the better, or even non-existent, that the payload sways creates instability in the aircraft.

Reactions: AH-1G and BigAl07
I like this system better, not only because of its simplicity, but also because of how light it is. It should also take into account the length of the cord of the payload, the shorter the better, or even non-existent, that the payload sways creates instability in the aircraft.
Well said sir.

In a previous system we utilized a stiff "Drop Rod" because we had to move the Payload away from the aircraft for launch reasons. With this system we should be able to eliminate any cable/cord all together and only the first flight (I think) used the cord. Going forward I don't anticipate any cord needed at all.

Reactions: arruntus
I have GUESSED the weight of the rain suit to be around 2lbs. I took it to the post office and weighed it on their scales this morning and it came in at ....

3lbs 2oz. DANG!!!

I have GUESSED the weight of the rain suit to be around 2lbs. I took it to the post office and weighed it on their scales this morning and it came in at ....

3lbs 2oz. DANG!!!
cut the sleeves off, remove the hood and you're good to go.

Here's a video from the CGOET on the H520:

Reactions: arruntus
There may be much easier DIY solution to it. Almost nothing to do to get it working. Definitely it does not require to invent anything or touch any electronics.

We are always forgetting that we have legs retraction mechanism and this can be used to make a payload drop. All you need is some forks that are sitting on the legs running from one leg to the other. Fly up and to a rescued person with legs down and when you need to drop a payload retract the legs releasing whatever is sitting on these forks between the legs.

There may be some obstruction for a camera looking down because they will be something under it but it depends where you put these forks and how big is a payload.

If it is just a blue case as shown in the video here earlier it should not be a problem for the camera.

The original landing gear has a plastic lug on the bottom which was used as a convenient way to to drop an object. Something as simple as a cardboard paper towel roll placed on the lugs could support a light weight load and would drop when the gear is retracted.

View attachment 14314

I did not see it. My idea is almost like this but they have forks sitting on a vertical part of each leg while I am offering to do a fork for the lowest horizontal parts of each leg. If there is some kind of open clamp that is sitting on these parts of the leg they will go free and drop whatever is sitting on them when legs start retracting making a space between them wider.

A clamp can be made from a plastic tube that is similar in diameter that tubing on legs. You just need to cut out open close to be in half. Or they can be 3d printed. Then you need some tubing that will go from one leg to another with one clamp on each end of a tube. You can replace the tube with some rope but you are running into a risk that payload will be swinging during a flight and it can unstabilize your drone.

or similar to it but with closed clamps and tubing cut in half and hold together as a whole tube by a smaller tube sitting inside them. This way you do not have to drop your paypload with the forks. When legs are retracted each tube goes in opposite direction coming of the smaller tube that is holding two tubes together and releasing whatever is sitting on these tubes.

Kind of feel stupid offering the same you are discussing and testing already.

Not stupid at all. We encourage more input and thoughts.

This is simply a piece of tubing that's 3/4" ID and cut to a length that is "snug" between the "lugs" on the landing gear but not putting any pressure on them laterally. I have then drilled a small hole in the center of the tubing and snaked a plastic Zip Tie loosely through the hole and secured it. Now a hook/loop/clamp/carabiner can then be slipped through this Zip Tie loop to secure a payload to the tubing. Costs mere pennies, can be reused but if it's not recovered on the scene it's of no consequence what so ever. I made 18 of them for less than $3(US) total and about 15 minutes of my time.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I have also used a 7018 welding rod for the diff rod across the botton landing gear.
Well said sir.

In a previous system we utilized a stiff "Drop Rod" because we had to move the Payload away from the aircraft for launch reasons. With this system we should be able to eliminate any cable/cord all together and only the first flight (I think) used the cord. Going forward I don't anticipate any cord needed at all.

Not stupid at all. We encourage more input and thoughts.

This is simply a piece of tubing that's 3/4" ID and cut to a length that is "snug" between the "lugs" on the landing gear but not putting any pressure on them laterally. I have then drilled a small hole in the center of the tubing and snaked a plastic Zip Tie loosely through the hole and secured it. Now a hook/loop/clamp/carabiner can then be slipped through this Zip Tie loop to secure a payload to the tubing. Costs mere pennies, can be reused but if it's not recovered on the scene it's of no consequence what so ever. I made 18 of them for less than $3(US) total and about 15 minutes of my time.
I love the simplicity of utilising the landing gear for a drop system. Is there any disadvantage over the other commercially available systems that have all the added complications of needing to receive a signal etc? I assume there are some performance issues with regards to changing the centre of gravity etc? Cheers for the inspiration on this one.

I love the simplicity of utilising the landing gear for a drop system. Is there any disadvantage over the other commercially available systems that have all the added complications of needing to receive a signal etc? I assume there are some performance issues with regards to changing the centre of gravity etc? Cheers for the inspiration on this one.

I have not seen any disadvantages what so ever. Also, as best as I can tell, this method keeps the load under the COG at least until it starts swinging and the UAS starts trying to compensate.

We've used this method to drop a 2-way, an emergency blanket, communication cards, and a flashlight so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430