Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Ham operation and Drone interference???

Reaction score
Just read a post by ‘bud’. He stated his Breeze crashed for no apparent reason but mentioned his neighbor is a Ham operator and linked the two instances together.

“My breeze has periodically become uncontrollable & crashed for apparently NO REASON. I am a skilled pilot of 5 years, with 6 other drones. Recently i discovered that my neighbor is a Ham Radio operator & some friends (a computer engineer & an electrical engineer) who were visiting, advised me that the radio waves from the neighbors ham radio broadcasting, were likely hijacking my drone!!! Hopefully this info may help others to understand the bizarre behaviour of THEIR Breezes that crash for seemingly no reason & perhaps find ways to combat it. Fly safe, have fun!!!”

I tried to post the below but that link is ‘closed’?? So I’ll post my reply here. (Below)

As a Ham operator and an electrical engineer it would be interesting to get more detail on this. What ‘class’ of license does your neighbor have; Technician?, General?, Amateur Extra? Does he have a large antenna sitting in his backyard? (If you just recently discovered your neighbor is a Ham, I’d have to guess there is no large antenna outside his house - else you would have noticed this long ago). Do you notice TV interference? (You should not). Any cell phone issues when you are making calls? Were you flying close to one of his antennas? Have you noticed issues with your other drones? Ham operators are very aware of frequency interference and place filters, chokes, and other devices in-line to prevent spurious emissions. We measure S/N ratios (signal to noise) carefully.

Do you think your GPS signal was ‘jammed’? Did you lose your video link? Do you use a 2.4/5.8 network in your home? If so, any issues?

There are many more questions that could be ask and we’d need answers to in order to determine some issue.

In general we can say, don’t fly close to any antenna or potential interference source.

Last edited:
I am a ham operator most rigs run at 100 watts for HF i have a yaesu ft 450 but some run legal limits at 1500 watts that's a lot of power especially when band condition are not that great.vhf and uhf mostly 50 watts or more especially they are operating satellites or SSB on vhf uhf some more than 100 Watts.If you live close by you may encounter some interference.

I have been flying my H in and around my antennas with no issues.
Even tried 500 watts into a stacked 13B2 on 2 meteres (144Mhz) and saw no issues. Balanced my H on my HF dipole (flying) while a friend transmitted on 20 meters (100 watts), could not tell he was doing anything.
The breeze is operating on the 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz bands if memory serves. There really should not be an issue with a ham radio operator, UNLESS they are operating near full legal limit, or they have very poor antenna feeds. (High SWR high loss in the cables) Then maybe a front end overload on the breeze receiver. Now if there is a Wifi tower in the area near where he was flying, could be a different issue.
I have used my H to inspect friends towers and antennas, but they were not operating at the time.

Good info Bob and more along the lines I would expect. Every Ham operator I know would never even think about an unbalanced antenna feed (high SWR) as too much loss in transmission power. Suppose there might be a few but we all shoot for 1:1 and work hard to achieve close to this. Anyway, unless the antenna is transmitting at high power (lets call that >100 watts) at the exact time the Breeze is within 20 feet (rough guess) of the Ham antenna I would expect no issue.

I believe (relying on years old memory) cell towers up/down convert input signals for transmission which MIGHT cause problems ONLY if you are close (again 20’ guess) to the antenna.

I think I might of had the FT450 also - many years back. A nice rig. I still have a Yaesu 530 HT which is still a nice radio and I keep with me when fishing in remote Colorado locations.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Reactions: monchito

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TroyBoy