Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to get GREAT looking VIDEO out of the CGO3+

Reaction score
I finally had some time to edit together a long overdue video showing how to get great looking video out of the CGO3+ camera. With a little knowledge, the CGO3+ can take videos as good as the P4 camera.

I couldn't cover everything or else it would have been an hour long video. I hope some of you find it helpful!

Have fun with your Typhoon!

I think the H does a fine job with color, exposure, etc. Especially when choosing a manual white balance. I too prefer the "natural" setting. But it is the sharpness or lack thereof in the distance that bugs me.

Thanks CD. I quickly found that locking WB was the best way to go, but forget to do it! Your explanation on what WB to set helped a lot. Post processing can be frustrating, especially without a very good monitor. Today I did some video in raw and each time forgot to lock WB.

Now, maybe pt 2 could be about FPS, resolution, using filters, and the correct shutter speed to use depending on those factors? That's where it gets deep for me. For example, an FPS of 30 is best with 1/60 shutter speed, is that correct? It hurts, it hurts.

This video was done in raw ISO 100 with ND4 and of course forgot to lock WB, but the camera stayed in the same position and angle so maybe post processing will give good results. I've been trying to use Corel Video Studio X9 but it doesn't seem to work that well (for me anyway) in post processing. I will try the Devinci Resolve.

Last edited:
Very Nice video CD,
I have been trying a lot of settings for my videos by watching others on YouTube and here in the forum, but this is great.
I will try some white balance tomorrow, as this is where I am lacking experience. Hope you do more vids
and thanks for your knowledge.

I think the H does a fine job with color, exposure, etc. Especially when choosing a manual white balance. I too prefer the "natural" setting. But it is the sharpness or lack thereof in the distance that bugs me.

If I have no plans to make a quality video and I'm just flying around filming nothing exciting then I use Gorgeous image mode. If I'm filming something nice, I then use Natural image mode and later run it through post processing.

Thanks CD. I quickly found that locking WB was the best way to go, but forget to do it! Your explanation on what WB to set helped a lot. Post processing can be frustrating, especially without a very good monitor. Today I did some video in raw and each time forgot to lock WB.

Now, maybe pt 2 could be about FPS, resolution, using filters, and the correct shutter speed to use depending on those factors? That's where it gets deep for me. For example, an FPS of 30 is best with 1/60 shutter speed, is that correct? It hurts, it hurts.

This video was done in raw ISO 100 with ND4 and of course forgot to lock WB, but the camera stayed in the same position and angle so maybe post processing will give good results. I've been trying to use Corel Video Studio X9 but it doesn't seem to work that well (for me anyway) in post processing. I will try the Devinci Resolve.
The video looks fine to me. The WB does seem to change slightly and the beach & water are similar in color (lack of color definition). Easily adjusted in post processing.

The goal of ND filters is to use a dark one with bright light (ND16) and then to set the ISO low. Set the FPS at whatever you like (such as 24, 25, 30, 60 FPS), then just double it.... the result is what you set the shutter at. So 30 FPS would be 1/60th of a second shutter speed. Then the next trick is to fly in turtle mode and make slow turns. What you end up with by using an ND filter and moving is a cinematic look causing motion blur vice a perfect video camera look. Either you move or the object you are filming moves. If you use an ND filter to film non moving objects or you are not moving, then there is no gain by using an ND filter.

Very Nice video CD,
I have been trying a lot of settings for my videos by watching others on YouTube and here in the forum, but this is great.
I will try some white balance tomorrow, as this is where I am lacking experience. Hope you do more vids
and thanks for your knowledge.
You're welcome and happy filming.

OK. Embarrassment time, but I've always wanted to ask this.

You say "white balance on the water" but there's no white on the water. So HOW? It looks GREAT, but I don't have a clue what setting you used, or more importantly, WHY!

WB is based on 80% (or something like that) gray? Or am I in over my head?

Yes, that was well done!! I subscribed to your channel so I will have great video editing skills as well. I'm ready for class to begin... as soon as I get the "H", maybe next week.

OK. Embarrassment time, but I've always wanted to ask this.

You say "white balance on the water" but there's no white on the water. So HOW? It looks GREAT, but I don't have a clue what setting you used, or more importantly, WHY!

WB is based on 80% (or something like that) gray? Or am I in over my head?
Right. The best way to white balance is to fill 75% of the screen with white. Can't really do that in the air so you have no choice but to point the camera at the next best thing with a color that fills much of the screen... a beach or water or grass or trees, etc. If the colors look correct on the ST16, then lock them in. If not, then select one of the preset White Balance settings. Sunrise Sunset is the most common one I use on most sunny days.

I'm getting the hang of it now

Davinci Resolve is really powerful, but the video I posted above without locking WB didn't color as I thought; locking WB is a must. Also, I rendered to 1080P for Vimeo and it looks pretty bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval