Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to get GREAT looking VIDEO out of the CGO3+

OK. Embarrassment time, but I've always wanted to ask this.

You say "white balance on the water" but there's no white on the water. So HOW? It looks GREAT, but I don't have a clue what setting you used, or more importantly, WHY!

WB is based on 80% (or something like that) gray? Or am I in over my head?

I think you're thinking of 18% grey which is the reference brightness that simple auto exposure is based upon.

Basically, the camera *assumes* that every scene is an average scene and an average scene is assumed to be one that looks good when exposed to reproduce 18% grey subject as 18% grey in the output. If your subject is far from average (white cat in snow or black cat on a dark background), then exposure will be off--unless the user compensates.

The autoexposure system assumes that 'all cats are grey'. So the white cat on snow will turn out a muddy (18%) grey if you don't compensate. Since you 'know' the cat and snow are white, you know that more light needs to get to the sensor for proper exposure. In our flying cameras the lens aperture is fixed so you either decrease shutter speed or increase sensitivity (ISO). Some systems also allow an EV (exposure value) adjustment which accomplishes the same thing. With an appropriate exposure adjustment, your white cat on snow looks white.

While small image adjustments to an improperly exposed original can be made, it's best to capture photos or video at the correct exposure from the start. This is all basic photography/videography (i.e. has nothing to do with flying cameras) so any basic photo or video tutorial will cover these concepts.

Reactions: Artman1
I finally had some time to edit together a long overdue video showing how to get great looking video out of the CGO3+ camera. With a little knowledge, the CGO3+ can take videos as good as the P4 camera.

I couldn't cover everything or else it would have been an hour long video. I hope some of you find it helpful!

Have fun with your Typhoon!

In ref. CAPTAINDRONE VIDEO - Thank you for taking the time and for doing the excellent work of producing this video. I see that you have the ability to do more "instructional" video's and I would very much like to see and hear more from you.
You are an excellent "guide", and presenter. I'd like to see another on the subject of shutter speed and slo-mo or near slo-mo recording with the Typhoon. I have both the 500+ and the 4K Typhoon and I'm pretty well satisfied with them and I'm not in the financial position to continue trying to keep up with the latest in technology, so there won't be any new quads being added to my "fleet". Thanks again!
jw

I finally had some time to edit together a long overdue video showing how to get great looking video out of the CGO3+ camera. With a little knowledge, the CGO3+ can take videos as good as the P4 camera.

I couldn't cover everything or else it would have been an hour long video. I hope some of you find it helpful!

Awesome video with excellent explanation of the TH video controls. Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Two thumbs up! Subscribed!

Nice!, confirms what i have been doing with my ND filters. Thanks for taking the time.

Reactions: Ricky
Wow, thanks! :) Glad it was of help.

I had downloaded the video from YT to save it as reference. Finally watched it today, and now understand the kudos.

Since I have a new Pro, my focus has been the craft and not the camera, but after running on Auto and Gorgeous till now, it is finally dawning on my hard head that this Auto is very poor. Anywho, thanks for a clear and concise explanation.

Tongue in cheek, maybe I'll take an old sheet and tack it to a wall outside, use it for my white balance.
Hey, best wishes, keep up the good work, Cap.

Excellent share CD. I do a lot of video and am just starting with the drones and appreciate the time you took to put this together, especially the DaVinci Resolve piece and which LUT to use. I haven't tried DaVinci yet since Premiere has improved their color tools. After seeing your video will definitely try it.
Thanks! Please note that if you do use Davinci Resolve you only need to apply the LUT if you're color correcting RAW video. For video taken in NATURAL you can get away with just selecting AUTO color and then add a touch of sharpness.

Have fun!

Please help Is it a problem or hardware settings?

agentmajky | 100MEDIA – rajce.net

100MEDIA

Reactions: horizontal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval