Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

How to hand catch an H520

Yes, one more time. I hand catch my Plus almost every flight. Hold the red button down for 2 or 3 seconds and the motors stop. No tap 3 times, or anything else needed. Hold the button, motors stop.

@Phaedrus, good to know on the Plus.
And... the H520's ST16S behaves the same? I'd assume so, anybody with 520 confirm?

If holding down for 3-4 seconds kills the motors, what is the 3 Taps doing differently?

I've just been outside testing with the H520..... unless it's a timing issue I can tell you this much:

FW 1.5.01 H520, STS16S

A) Holding the red button down does NOT kill the motors. We held it down for 9 seconds and nothing happened what so ever.

B) Pressing the red button 3x (or 6 or 9) does NOT kill the H520 motors.

C) Holding the Throttle Power stick down and holding the red button down does NOT kill the H520 motors

D) The only combination we could get to work is holding the throttle/power DOWN and pressing the Red Button 3x initiates the "Emergency Power Down" procedure and kills the motors.

Can someone else with a H520 confirm my findings to help eliminate possible errors in my tests?

I've just been outside testing with the H520..... unless it's a timing issue I can tell you this much:

FW 1.5.01 H520, STS16S

A) Holding the red button down does NOT kill the motors. We held it down for 9 seconds and nothing happened what so ever.

B) Pressing the red button 3x (or 6 or 9) does NOT kill the H520 motors.

C) Holding the Throttle Power stick down and holding the red button down does NOT kill the H520 motors

D) The only combination we could get to work is holding the throttle/power DOWN and pressing the Red Button 3x initiates the "Emergency Power Down" procedure and kills the motors.

Can someone else with a H520 confirm my findings to help eliminate possible errors in my tests?
Great info... different than Plus ST16S.
On normal landings, once landed what kills / stops the motors... holding Throttle Down for a interval of time?

Great info... different than Plus ST16S.
On normal landings, once landed what kills / stops the motors... holding Throttle Down for a interval of time?

Once landed a single push of the red button initiates the DisArmed function

with the latest firmware you cannot stop the motors by holding the red button or put the stick down. what my surprise when I did it as usual on a boat, a real freak!

with the latest firmware you cannot stop the motors by holding the red button or put the stick down. what my surprise when I did it as usual on a boat, a real freak!
You're meaning hand-catch correct, the kill button & stick down still function when landing?
Regarding hand catch... if holding kill button doesn't stop motors what method are you using?

When you take it by hand and lower the throttle, the engines stop automatically. Doesn't it?

I would not recommend hand-catching the H520. While it is a very reliable machine, the IMU can get confused (magnetic interference) and software can misfunction. This tends to be ignored if you see the H520 working correctly many times. Keep in mind that this is still basically a flying lawnmower. (You might want to google drone propeller injuries...)

Cell phones are dangerous too!
Nothing wrong with hand catching. yes you do have to be careful, but at times this may be the only alternative?

To confirm... without having a H520 (Yet), and the new FW mentioned above. Is there a conclusion in method to stop motors on a hand catch? Didn't realize it was so involved... the H480 hand catches easily stick down & kill button held.

It's probably overkill (pun intended), don't all kill when tipped over 60 degrees or so... has any one tried to tip it over to it's side after hand catching?

Certainly if you are not comfortable doing so, then you should not. I've been hand catching since my Phantom Vision. It is the only way I will land in sandy, windy, etc. environments.

I've been doing it for many years, which doesn't take away his reason. Taking it by hand is a procedure that can be dangerous, that in no safety plan can appear because otherwise it would not be approved.

Another thing is that to us as pilots, common sense often tells us that to avoid damage, it is better to take it by the hand. Obviously, if it is not necessary it is better not to do it. Don't do it out of habit. A lot of wind and can tip over, the terrain is uneven and can tip over and little more because we have to have the takeoff or landing area clear to avoid these problems.

Here we have two issues, what is the procedure for in case of need and I do it even if it is not necessary. I believe that in case of need we should know how to do it but avoid doing it at all costs because it is a procedure, which is not safe.

Reactions: Dougcjohn
You're meaning hand-catch correct, the kill button & stick down still function when landing?
Regarding hand catch... if holding kill button doesn't stop motors what method are you using?
Sorry for the delay, yes hand catch, all old way to stop motors doesn't work anymore. (only the kill process stick down and 3 times red button)

I would not recommend hand-catching the H520. While it is a very reliable machine, the IMU can get confused (magnetic interference) and software can misfunction. This tends to be ignored if you see the H520 working correctly many times. Keep in mind that this is still basically a flying lawnmower. (You might want to google drone propeller injuries...)
Yes doesn't recommand hand catch but when you're on a catamaran with 3 meters swell, just try to land on the bridge, it's totaly impossible, the only way it's hand catch.

Reactions: AH-1G
Sorry for the delay, yes hand catch, all old way to stop motors doesn't work anymore. (only the kill process stick down and 3 times red button)

Thanks! That's what I was gathering from the thread... which makes it a bit more challenging... pretty much makes it a requirement to have RC on neck strap or on table... or 2nd person. It's relatively easy to "1 hand" hold with stick down or kill button down but to do both 1 handed while holding RC and H520 in other hand. Without RC supported against chest or table, would be difficult to hold stick down & tap 3 on kill while confidently watching & holding H520. I have large hands, but reaching up to kill button while holding stick down and maintaining a firm grasp on RC would be a bit tough, RC hanging off neck would make it much easier. Just adds to the caution & awareness.

Which brings up my previous question, the "over 60 degree tilt". I've personally never tried this maneuver. I've seen hand catches on very windy gusty days where the Pilot grabs the drone, with drone on the down wind side of pilot; and quickly roll drone over to side, pointing blade dish down wind & motors quickly stop. This Pilot indicates that the amount of time waiting for motors to to stop with kill button in high wind gusts can be challenging compared to allowing drone to essentially roll over in wind and stopping motors while keeping blade dish away from him. To clarify, this wasn't a H520, but I've read somewhere Yuneec's will stop motors if over a 60 degree roll.

On the safety of hand catch, agree it's not considered a safe maneuver and no drone company recommends due to safety and legal. I've seen the results of blade vs skin, often results in stitches or reattachment. Somethings require a higher degree of risk: A boat deck would be one place to apply, other times: extreme wind gusts, rocky or uneven surface or a very contaminated (loose dirt, sand, muddy marsh, etc) surface. In humorous comparison, building a skyscraper & walking beams...I'll hand catch any day, it's cleaner in the shorts!

Reactions: digicrea
I've hand launched and hand caught on my boat, but not in 2 to 3 foot swells. Hand launching is easier though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmsmindspace