Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

In over my head?

Reaction score
After having had my Typhoon H for a couple months and getting a few hours air time on it, I'm coming to the conclusion it's not what I really want. It's a great rig and the footage and snaps are terrific, but I long for something a bit sportier.
I'm giving serious thought to disposing the H and getting into something smaller and easier to transport and, most important, more fun to fly, while being photo capable. Maybe a Phantom 3 or 4. Any thoughts?

I have a Phantom 2 and can honestly say it is not nearly as 'Sporty' as my standard H. While being somewhat smaller, the hard case that I use to carry my Phantom is certainly not any more portable than a Typhoon in it's backpack so I would say a Phantom would be the wrong way to go if things like speed and ease of transportation are the main concerns. Now of course the later Phantoms are faster so there is that.

When you say 'Fun' I guess that is a personal thing and I can understand if your not having fun then thats that. You might also want to consider something along the lines of a Mantis Q, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro and so forth. Those things will almost go in your pocket, are very light and portable.

Reactions: thoneter
I have a Phantom 2 and can honestly say it is not nearly as 'Sporty' as my standard H. While being somewhat smaller, the hard case that I use to carry my Phantom is certainly not any more portable than a Typhoon in it's backpack so I would say a Phantom would be the wrong way to go if things like speed and ease of transportation are the main concerns. Now of course the later Phantoms are faster so there is that.

When you say 'Fun' I guess that is a personal thing and I can understand if your not having fun then thats that. You might also want to consider something along the lines of a Mantis Q, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro and so forth. Those things will almost go in your pocket, are very light and portable.

That's a good observation, thanks for that! I'm leaning pretty hard to a Phantom 3 Pro, mostly because I don't think I can get enough out of my H for a Phantom 4 Pro. I've flown one (P4) owned by one of my flying cohorts and I really like it. A Mavic would be nice, but then they're pricey as well. Thanks again for the insight!

If you want sporty start flying FPV racing quads. Doesn't get much more sporty than that.
With respect to the Typhoon and other similar sUAS you have to keep in mind that their primary function is to get a camera airborne. Period. They are meant to be boring/easy to fly so that you can concentrate on what they are intended to do, take aerial photographs and videos.

Of course I have no point of reference to the H for comparison but one of the quads in my stable is the Parrot Anafi, which I find to be plenty sporty for my tastes when I'm in that mood. Reasonably priced, very portable and still a great cinematic photo drone.

I hear the Walkera F210 3D is a fun sporty racer. Looks more like flying a Trex 450 than a drone.

Of course I have no point of reference to the H for comparison but one of the quads in my stable is the Parrot Anafi, which I find to be plenty sporty for my tastes when I'm in that mood. Reasonably priced, very portable and still a great cinematic photo drone.
ParrotAnafi 4K Portable Drone $549

I hear the Walkera F210 3D is a fun sporty racer. Looks more like flying a Trex 450 than a drone.
Had the Walkera 500. Great drone but absolutely no tech support or customer service. At the time they made DJI look like a king when it comes to customer service! Maybe they've changed recently.

Hi, I also have a phantom 3 until I got my H. I use both for real estate images but must admit I prefer the H. The phantom is good easy to fly but I would worry you might get bored quickly. However that said as you mentioned the 3 does get off the mark and can get into smaller areas. I fly mine off the upstairs veranda and land there as well so it fits into a vertical space of 2.5 m. I keep both as I enjoy flying both.

That makes a lot of sense. But, after a lot of soul-searching and hand-wringing I've come to the conclusion that with all the fixed wing craft I have and other hobbies, there's not really room in the hangar for two high end photo drones. So, my plan is to acquire a Phantom and dispose of the Typhoon soon as I can find an outlet for it. Nice craft and all, but just more than I want.
Thanks for the adviso!

Hope it works out for you. I fly both Phantom 4 and Typhoon H. Yep, there are differences but I find them to be generally the same... one is not more sporty, or more challenging, than the other. If you want sporty, suggest a racing drone; maybe even one you build yourself. Best of luck and keep flying.

That makes sense too. Hopefully I won't have "seller's remorse" once it's all done. I likely will build a drone, already have a nice carbon chassis and a couple dead 350 qx's to pick parts from.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval