Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Indoor Flying 2017

Tree could you please post some video of your flight / indoor tests...thanks, I've removed my Real Sense as I found it useless for smooth video since it's always halting and stuttering...

I have a client enquiry for filming inside a very large warehouse. I realise they say 'no GPS, no Power' but am I able to just disable GPS before starting, and fly it manually?

Also, if that's possible, will it avoid the annoying Lost GPS error message and vibrating ST-16 when flying?

Or can I just not fly it indoors, especially now they've binned the indoor positioning module (doesn't inspire confidence!)

Many thanks!
Read the manual and watch the videos !

Hi all and thanks for the input; really interesting to hear your different experiences and advice. Here's what I have derived, and decided...

I believe the IPS has been discontinued, as it's no longer available on the Yuneec website. I suspect this is because IPS is now part of the RealSense module. Mine does not have the RealSense module, so my only option is Manual for indoor flying. After speaking with Yuneec, it would seem the process is as follows:
  • Always do a compass calibration first
  • Disable GPS
  • Fly in Manual Mode
Yuneec stated, having flown the Typhoon H many times indoors at exhibitions etc. that it will operate normally in this Mode. Drift should be minimal (assuming there is no wind) and the Turtle/Hare controllers 'should adjust responsiveness just the same as if flying in any other Mode'. So, all the RealSense module will do in this scenario is just hold the bird's position steady and essentially remove any drift. Nothing more.

I think there is a (understandable) hesitancy/stigma attached to flying indoors. It almost seems unnatural I guess, and because there are no easy 'escapes' if things go a bit awry it means a mistake can cost you the craft. However, I think if you:
  • respect the limitations that unaided flight will inevitably produce (and tell your client this)
  • consequently, agree there will be no fancy flying!
  • keep the stick movements slow, fluid and deliberate
  • focus on the craft and subject matter, and not the ceiling or wall 50ft away
  • remember you can always just stop, bring it down and regroup if feeling the pressure
Nowadays as pilots, frankly we're used to a bit of help! But flying indoors is one of those occasions where the gizmos are all off and it's all on you as the pilot if it goes wrong. It might be the ultimate test, so it's bound to get the blood rushing a bit. I for one am going to pitch for the indoor project I've been asked about. If I get it, and complete it without trashing the H, it might open up a new area of possibilities!

Again, thanks very much for the input and ideas. Hopefully I'll be able to let you know how it goes (we might even film it!)

Thanks for the information I would also add to use prop guards, I've done quite a bit of flying indoors (on other platforms not Yuneec) and those have come in handy. The pilot should also be aware of both the height of flying from the ground and of course ceiling and proximity to walls to protect from the effects of prop wash...for example flying too close to a wall can generate quite a bit of prop wash back onto the craft and the same can be said for flying too close to the ground or ceiling indoors. In a controlled area flying indoors can produce fabulous results.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahorelaptop