Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Intel RealSense Module Addition Specs

Reaction score
Ok I'm interested in purchasing the RS Module for my H but 1st I wanted to see if anyone was able to answer a few of my questions. First does anyone know what the weight of the entire RS Module is in Grams (Only the RS Module). 2nd what all gets removed from the H when Installing the RS & approx how much does that weigh? I'm wanting to know how much weight the RS Module would add to the H when installed, But when this is calculated you must remember to subtract the parts that are removed off the H & their weight, & then add the RS weight!! Then IDK if anyone might be able to answer this but; does anyone know approx how much power the RS uses. Then I've seen a few reports on lower flight times with the RS but first what is the approx flight time difference between the H without the RS & it with the RS but the RS is NOT being used Therefore not requiring quite as much power draw & then the last comparison is between the H with the RS without using it & the with the RS while also using it for what its made for? Hopefully there aren't too many questions here, I'm just right on the Tipping point on whether or not to Buy the RS Module or not & any of your answers could push me to one side or the other. Thank you to anyone that helps me with these questions I have here, I've tried asking them many times before but I guess I keep asking them in the incorrect sections idk. Thanks Tom C.

Here you go -

Realsense Module weight about 70g
Plastic cover you take off is 4g

So your adding about 66 or so g of weight to the H

In my testing with it, I actually lost flight time and I would say its anywhere from 2-4 minutes total time that I lost with adding it on.

I spoke to Yuneec about this today while talking to them on another call, they asked how I liked it and what I thought about it so brought up the lost flight time with the added weight didn't make me happy and was thinking about removing it for now. They said they had hear similar things about the reduced flight time and took some information from me and said it could be addressed at a future update possibly.

For me personally, am I really going to use it enough to warrant it, not sure yet. I fly out in the desert with not much around me so not to worried about hitting something. Around my house I fly between 125-250 feet so well above anything there. The loss of speed when having everything enabled is enough that I always fly in angle mode. I can just enough reasons that I may just take it off, for now its still on and if I need to stay up longer I fly my Phantom.

My decisions should not make up your mind, these are what I noticed and your mileage may very based on what your looking for.

Awesome thank you for the detailed info. No I'm not basing my decision solely on one person info i try to use critical thinking & collect alot more information to put all together & then make my decision. When Yuneec said that the flight time decrease may be addressed soon, what exactly could you even imagine them doing? Because I could see them address that issue if when the RealSense is installed on the H that it was always turn ON & there was no way of turning it off so they put a way to be able to shut it off but being that it already has that ability to be turned off therefore not using extra battery for processing etc & so only being a bit of an extra weight, I'll be racking my brain for sometime now trying to think of any way they may possibly be able to do that with only a mere firmware update unless they may have meant update as to say in product offerings & soon will release a larger mAh battery to compensate for the lost time but other then that I have no current ideas. But thank you again for your info. Tom C

Reactions: Snagglesworth
+ 1 to what AZPILOT has said...I'm taking mine off. I lost a couple minutes off flight time in the test I did yesterday with it on. I would rather have the extra time for flying missions. The way it does avoidance makes the video I would shoot with it unuseable because of it's halting nature. I think the dramatic price decrease indicates improvements are on the way with a ver. 2. Follow me is something I don't ever plan to use since why would I want to stick myself into a clients video. Those who need the plastic cover for conversion from RealSense can purchase them directly from Yuneec for $1.99 which is what I've done. I can get much better results flying with GPS turned off, your mileage may vary but I just don't see this as much more than unnecessary weight and cost the way I use my H.

Once the RS Module is installed its always on period. They could do something through software updates to have IPS work when the H is on and the actual realsense work only when in obstacle avoidance mode something like this i would imagine. I don't know just repeating what they said

Once the RS Module is installed its always on period. They could do something through software updates to have (310)890-0285 on and the actual realsense work only when in obstacle avoidance mode something like this i would imagine. I don't know just repeating what they said

Unless they have an electronic switch already built into the electrical components of the RS module, there's no way to have software 'turn it on' only when using it. They would have to redesign the module if it isn't designed that way.

Kind of like plugging in a light into a wall socket and telling it to shut off without actually have something turning the power off to it.

Software can't fix everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is also discussion about loss flight time with realsense in this thread:
7000 mah battery
I would love to know how much flight time is loss with realsense installed but NOT plugged in. Then you would know just how much of a flight time penalty you are paying to just lug it around.
Would not be too hard to probe the connection and find the power pins and hook up an on/off switch, but again more weight and you would have to mod the aircraft.
I have only seen a few videos of realsense in action, and would love to see more from you guys that have it. Does it really work like it is shown in Yuneec's videos.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I have only seen a few videos of realsense in action, and would love to see more from you guys that have it. Does it really work like it is shown in Yuneec's videos.

I'm waiting for the Scottish weather to let me fly a bit more! Probably Thursday, by the looks of things.

My first instinct is that without modding, there's no point in disconnecting RS. To do that as standard you'd need to remove the entire thing, disconnect it, and then refit it; you may as well just refit the original LED cover.

My plan for Thursday is to build a repeatable CCC route, then fly it until a nominated voltage with RS fitted and OBS switched on. Then repeat the same route with RS removed and the standard cover restored.

Alternatively, I might just leave it in the hover in angle mode until it hits something like 15.5v, and see how that goes; at least I know for sure that RS will be powered then! I'll put some details up when I get it done.

Reactions: abinder
That is the advantage of having real sense as an ad on and not built in to the pro. It takes approximately 10 minutes to install the module in approximately 10 minutes to uninstall the module. So this debate can be ended very quickly by someone who has the ad on module run and do a flight test for us. Any volunteers?

I was going to buy the RS mod and got talked out of it by the man at Carolina DRONZ. He had it on the shelf but once we discussed the good verses the bad I decided I would never use it. Reading here I'm glad I did.

I have been flying in 'angle' mode with obstacle avoidance off lately to learn how to better fly the drone. For the heck of it I turned 'obstacle avoidance' on yesterday to see if it would avoid a small leafless tree. (Which it did nicely) However, I noticed that it slowed the drone down to a crawl even when it didn't see an obstacle. I couldn't help but wonder if it works differently in the 'follow' or 'watch me' mode where I have seen it tracking at in excess of 40 MPH and only slowing down to avoid obstacles. Anyone have any input on that?

I realize this is a little off topic but that speed reduction would cause me to not have interest in using the RealSense regardless of any flight time reduction.

well i have the real sense on my TH it came with it and it dose work as advised as far as battery life i really can't
give you a answer weather it shortens flight times as i never time my flights i only take two 5 min vids watch battery
volts and land

I was going to buy the RS mod and got talked out of it by the man at Carolina DRONZ. He had it on the shelf but once we discussed the good verses the bad I decided I would never use it. Reading here I'm glad I did.

Out of interest, what did he think were the negatives?

Can you tell us how the conversation went? What did the guy say the good and bad points were about the RS?

I have been flying in 'angle' mode with obstacle avoidance off lately to learn how to better fly the drone. For the heck of it I turned 'obstacle avoidance' on yesterday to see if it would avoid a small leafless tree. (Which it did nicely) However, I noticed that it slowed the drone down to a crawl even when it didn't see an obstacle. I couldn't help but wonder if it works differently in the 'follow' or 'watch me' mode where I have seen it tracking at in excess of 40 MPH and only slowing down to avoid obstacles. Anyone have any input on that?

I realize this is a little off topic but that speed reduction would cause me to not have interest in using the RealSense regardless of any flight time reduction.
Turbo... In follow/watch, the thing will go 40+ but that is with obstacle avoidance turned off. When it is on, it will go along at 12mph and avoid and fly around things. Works great! I've not tried running it into anything with obs off,but folks say that the realsense is still active. Not sure I want to try! Hope this helps. Cheers. Chris.

So basically you're saying that real sense is on all the time and obstacle avoidance is only on when you turn it on is that correct?

So basically you're saying that real sense is on all the time and obstacle avoidance is only on when you turn it on is that correct?

What people mean by it still being active is that when OA is turned off the realsense module still has power. Therefore still "active" but this information is ignored by the rest of the drone as it takes time to slow it down and it would not be able to react as fast as it needs to. So it's active all the time but does not work all the time.

Sent from my Giant Robot Suit using Tapatalk Mech Edition

Reactions: abinder
Apparently, from what I've read in here. I've not tried it in the off position mind. Although, it does register objects on the screen graph thingies even when it is turned off. In on, I think that the sonar joins in the game! Jim Bowers made a good video about it.

That's probably why every time I've seen it following someone at high speed there were never obstacles around.

Come to think of it the Eyesight crash avoidance in my Subaru will only prevent a crash up to I think 35 MPH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariarussii11