Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

IPS First time would not land...

CraigCam

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I finally got the real sense and tried the IPS indoors. It was great flying but I could not land at all and started climbing slowly and I had no descent. The sticks are fine. I had to use the stop button and do a drop. I broke a landing gear motor. I’ve searched for this answer and I don’t understand why I couldn’t land. Does IPS have to be off? And how do I do that? Turn back on GPS? I noticed the sensor view goes away when switching the OBS switch but comes back quickly so I’m assuming that’s a screen view anomaly and IPS is still engaged. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have not seen that before, I have landed with IPS on many times. I have seen that behavior while the landing gear are up but no other scenario. I have a video out there on turning on IPS, but you will not be able to turn off while in the air, at least I have never tried.

Hmmm...I’m going to calibrate accelerometer and try again.

Typically you shouldn't fly in your house with a beast like that. I don't know how you couldn't land. I flew in the basement of my home. We have a lines in the carpet. The IPS kicked in when it could find a gps. The H tried to fly straight like following the lines. All the drift from the motors made it very hard to control. I didn't do it again after that.

Typically you shouldn't fly in your house with a beast like that. I don't know how you couldn't land. I flew in the basement of my home. We have a lines in the carpet. The IPS kicked in when it could find a gps. The H tried to fly straight like following the lines. All the drift from the motors made it very hard to control. I didn't do it again after that.
Lol, I tried the same in my crowded garage, lucky I decided to move behind my workbench before lift off. It lifted off an headed straight towards my Mustang, I started making it toilet bowl just to keep it in a place until I could power the motors down. I got lucky no crash or hits.

Reactions: RaeThrills
I finally got the real sense and tried the IPS indoors. It was great flying but I could not land at all and started climbing slowly and I had no descent. The sticks are fine. I had to use the stop button and do a drop. I broke a landing gear motor. I’ve searched for this answer and I don’t understand why I couldn’t land. Does IPS have to be off? And how do I do that? Turn back on GPS? I noticed the sensor view goes away when switching the OBS switch but comes back quickly so I’m assuming that’s a screen view anomaly and IPS is still engaged. Thanks in advance for the help.

I had a similar experience (not indoors though) while flying IPS mode; I definitely noticed the H ascending and pulling down on THR had little effect.. Upon reviewing the telemetry it apparently has more to to with the barometer (during the first seconds after take off altitude starts going down to -15m only to get back to normal after a while)

This some times happens even after I completely removed the RS module. I got used to it but at first it is very unsetteling. I haven't found the cause, most of the times my aircraft performs as usual. If this happens just switch all the way to Hare and pull down.

This is the elevation graph from a time I experienced this issue:

Captura2.jpg

Greetings!

I did not do that. I was in turtle as I was being super stick cautious. My Breeze did the exact same thing first time in same area so part of it was my choice of location. Fortunately, because of the Breeze incident, I was pretty calm and while I did not like doing an emergency shut down, the drop damage was less then a ceiling strike and subsequent crash would have netted. It occurred to me Barometer could be the culpript and it was colder then usual. I’m still curious if I could have reacted quick enough to get GPS on ( really wish that aux button was gps enable and disable) if that would give me back proper stick. I’ll review that file since this ones idle till post Christmas parts show up. I did have the gear down also as once it started slowly ascending and not responding to left stick down, I lowered the gear to protect camera. In hindsight, I could have probably moved in and hand caught but I was distracted by the new display data. I do a lot of indoor work and I’m pretty good with GPS off. I’m hoping to understand the IPS quirks as I’m more interested in the hold that offers more than using real sense to follow me around cactus. Thanks for this info.

Two thoughts, is there a sensor to verify that landing gear is down? Maybe toggle the landing gear quickly a couple of times to reset. Also, would it not descend if you pulsed the red button instead of holding to cause a shutdown?

When you turn the gps off does the bird automatically go into IPS mode? Conversely does it come out of IPS mode when you enable gps? How does Real Sense help/contribute to indoor flying? Thanks.

Indoor flying with all the electrical interference can have devastating results.

Indoor flying with all the electrical interference can have devastating results.

This is true. I only had lights on overhead as my floor needs light for the cameras to map. I can fly indoors with no GPS and often do to run out batteries and practice patient hover holding. It’s good practice to concentrate on holding your 480 steady for over 15 minutes and learn to breathe slower and relax on the sticks. I have over 16’ ceilings and keep an area around 20 square feet free of ground obstacles. The biggest issue is the rugs want to lift up on the down wash so I’m careful not to land on them as they can be moving. I do small FPV flying in and out of my rooms so I know my obstacles well. With the H, I enjoy observing the flight control changes relative to battery drain and monitor the motor pitch change sounds during the voltage moves. Of course I get good duration as it’s just a hover. I usually land at 14.5 volts. I’m trying very hard to not hit LVC anymore to keep battery life and this also helps me understand what batteries are good and which are suspect.

CC. For those of us who are still somewhat new to the sport, what does LVC stand for? thanks

Low voltage cutoff. Nothing kills LiPo batteries like flying to the flashing lights. On a single cell battery like for the Nano QX or any small quad, my experience is you cut the flight time in half after about 4 times of flying to LVC. Of course those little quads have no other system of warning but you can tell it’s coming because throttle and thrust start decreasing. I’ve paid the price with the 480 batteries as well by pushing into warnings to keep shooting a sunset as of course the color is the most vibrant towards the end of your flight. The problem is a four cell is very unforgiving when one of the cells gets weird. It’s not always evident as puffing and keep track of individual cell resistance pre and post charging is the best way to know if a battery is trustworthy for full missions of that never seen 22mins of flight time. 18 to 19 minutes is pretty much it and even that much time pushed for on the same battery will reduce its service life. Best rule for me is start getting back towards landing after dropping below 15v and I’m comfortable with the first ten minutes of flying and work on fishing during last 5 minutes. That’s 3 video files and more then enough footage typically. It’s kind of like hiking out here. If you set out and drink half your water, you need to turn around or risk dying of dehydration. Happens all the time here with tourists visiting Phoenix or Tucson and getting out for what looks like easy hikes. The internet is full of power loss crashes from pilots not understanding this basic concept of fuel vs time relative to distance and environment. The solution to more flying time unfortunately is by more batteries.

Oh and when I dropped my H in July at Ironwood monument, I did take my water bottle in the search and was about to abandon that search because I passed half my water. I also ventured out into the wilderness without telling anyone and that was dumber then my crash. Plus it was getting dark. That strobon I put on my gimbal saved the day and I scrambled back to my car about an hour and half later. My wife did not like my explanation of why I had to venture down a mountain and back to retrieve my broken bird.

Reactions: Dr Delta
From manual.
NOTICE: When using IPS without GPS locked, make sure that the indoor
illumination is sufficient. The IPS may not be able to position when the aircraft is
flying over highly reflective surfaces or over highly repeated surface texture
(such as the same color).

Reactions: RaeThrills

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval