Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Is it the camera or the settings ? (whitewash)

Reaction score
It seems like my camera stills are getting worse over time. I went up yesterday to shoot some fall skys and after reviewing my pics I'm all but done considering this camera will ever meet my requirements for a decent picture to edit. I'm not a professional Photographer so I'm not gonna blame the camera but it sure seems like the pictures are getting more and more blown out with whitewash.
The posted pic below was shot in auto about 4pm with the sun at its back.

Anyone have some insight into my quality issues.

Thanks

Attachments

• Samplefallsky.jpg
    Samplefallsky.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 91
It seems like my camera stills are getting worse over time. I went up yesterday to shoot some fall skys and after reviewing my pics I'm all but done considering this camera will ever meet my requirements for a decent picture to edit. I'm not a professional Photographer so I'm not gonna blame the camera but it sure seems like the pictures are getting more and more blown out with whitewash.

Thanks
If you are using auto then this can happen easily. Start playing with the manual settings. Also with the new camera features in the newest fw update use the spot metering and select the brightess area and it should adjust so that it is not blown out. Just play with yhe settings. If you dont know what they do then research what each one is for.

Bill W.

Reactions: Rayray

Thanks

Never use Auto settings on the CGO3+
Use Manual settings
Do some searching on youtube, there are enough of clips explaining the usage of manual mode on the CGO3+.

Marnix

@Onthebrinc
I had simular problems. What I found that worked best:
Pick a subject that you want to take stills of. Just hover, have a note book handy. Use manual settings and write down the settings you use. Take 2 photos, Note the numbers of the photos. Try some different settings, write them down and take 2 more. Repeat the process for other settings.
When you land, you can check the photos on your computer against your notes and see what setting gave you the best results. It helped me to learn more about what the settings actually did, and my results are much better now.

edit
This was an oops on my part....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Thanks

The image looks processed as in over-sharpened... was it run through a program after you took it out of the camera? I can see plenty of shadows which tells me the sun was low on the horizon but yet the image is missing all the dark contrast. If that was an auto setting, something went wrong (i.e., the camera thought the image was dark and over compensated). If it was a manual setting then either the exposure value is set to +1 or +2 (i.e., the left D-PAD was pressed) or the ISO and or shutter speed is incorrect.

I typically shoot Natural mode at -.05 EV and get good results. I set white balance with a grey card before taking off.

Onthebrink,

I'm guessing you may be fairly new to photography, and aerial photography adds a new dimension to what one needs to learn. We can read all the books and watch lots of videos on the subject but everyone starts at the bottom and has to work their way up once the shutter starts getting pressed.

Most of what you need will come from lots of practice and experimentation under different lighting conditions. Something great about digital photography is we don't have to spend a lot of time and money in film processing to see the results of our efforts. Just download the card and review, deleting what we don't like. As mentioned earlier, take a notebook with you and try to make notes with conditions in light and what you tried with ISO, shutter speed, filters, and angles. Review the images while reviewing your notes to learn what works and what doesn't. Auto modes don't do anything for me, with most looking washed out. With practice over time you can end up shooting great images and videos, but time has to be spent really getting to know your equipment. It can be a very satisfying process, always presenting challenges that will improve your creativity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You have to realize you bought a sophisticated digital camera (focus issues not withstanding). you have to learn it to get the performance. The fact that it fly's so well is a bonus.

I use auto unless in extreme conditions. I follow up with ACDSee Pro 9 hit the dehaze button for 30 % and they look good to me. Just a bit of post processing instead of fidgiting with it outdoors.

I do use the camera settings to adjust white balance as the sun sets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval