Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

IS IT TRUE WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT.......LOSS OF SIGNAL

Reaction score
As I am just getting back into flying again after three years away I am retraining myself with a Breeze. but have always wanted the H My plan is to get one next spring when the weather is flyable.Photography is the main thing Not chucking it about the sky. Slow and Steady for me.
So now I am seeing several reports that the H just goes insane when either the video or the GPS link is lost.
I was given to understand that if either of those thigns happened it would just RTF and land , I would do all the pre flight stuff very carefully AND let it sit ready to go for about 30 seconds so that it got a proper FIX on its HOME spot. and also let it hover after take off to make sure it was holding station etc.
So please tell me which of the scenarios is correct.
I appreciate that if the RTF is done while all is well then it will RTH . It is this other option that now concerns me.
Regards
Drew.

While I have not experienced complete loss of video I did have extreme lag. At that point I increased altitude because I knew that was the only safe direction to fly. ( there were trees blocking line of site, flying low) Video was restored and I continued to fly. Always remember to set your return to home altitude above the highest object that you will be flying around. Also DO NOT fly so far away that you run you battery down to the critical low limit during the flight home, because the H will start an auto land procedure. You may end up landing in a tree or lake.

I haven't flown so far away that signal loss or link has ever been a concern but did accidentally switch into Pad mode while in flight, which cuts the control link. It came straight back after climbing to about 30 feet of altitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Drew Herdman
I haven't flown so far away that signal loss or link has ever been a concern but did accidentally switch into Pad mode while in flight, which cuts the control link. It came straight back after climbing to about 30 feet of altitude.

Thanks guys, that was FAST, and it helps to ease my mind. I am waiting until the spring also to see IF they do a camera upgrade on the factory products then, and hopefully they will have sorted out all these firmware horror stories we are seeing now, I would be using and iPAdPro linked via the HDMI port for viewing, the screen on the TX is a bit too small for me. I am an OAP right now and the sight is not as good as it used to be. My wife is my spotter, and we would seldom if ever put the H more thna a hudred yardsaway from base. I can understand the long range FPV guys but I am not up to that.

As I am just getting back into flying again after three years away I am retraining myself with a Breeze. but have always wanted the H My plan is to get one next spring when the weather is flyable.Photogra[hy is the main thing Not chucking it about the sky. Slow and Steady for me.
So now I am seeing several reports that the H just goes insane when either the video or the GPS link is lost.
I was given to understand that if either of those thigns happened it would just RTF and land , I would do all the pre flight stuff very carefully AND let it sit ready to go for about 30 seconds so that it got a proper FIX on its HOME spot. and also let it hover after take off to make sure it was holding station etc.
I appreciate that if the RTF is done while all is well then it will RTH . It is this other option that now concerns me.
Regards
Drew.
I have experienced loss of video, more in relation to my position and the Typhoon H. I've never experienced a fly away and I seldom allow the drone to leave my sight. There have been times when I wanted to shoot the topography of the roads, lakes and farms and I loss sight of it as it flew over trees, then I lost the video signal. I hit return to home and within minutes...there it was. I seldom allow it to travel outside of my sight, but there are times when you really have no choice. But the RTF has always worked well for me.

I have had loss of video when way down range (2500 feet or better) too far for my eyes to track the H.
Reorienting the mushroom antenna on the H helped to regain connection. I have had my ST-16 die mid-flight. The aircraft rose to RTH height, flew back to where I was, ( it will fly to the last known position of the st-16) lowered the landing gear and hovered about 15 feet up. If left alone, it would have auto landed when the battery reached critical low voltage. I was able to plug my ST-16 into my cars USB port and power it back up, regain control and land. Oh yes... I was puckered to the max the whole time.

Let us know where you've heard those reports - because someone's lying to you.

The furthest I've been was over 4000 ft at which point I was right at the limit of line of sight. At that point, video was a little twitchy, but I had full control of the craft. The new firmware now shows signal strength for both 2.4 and 5.8 Ghz links, and switches between them automatically (though I've not experimented with that yet). Flyaways seem to be pretty rare.

Reactions: yuneec53
Something for people to consider that fly long distances down range. Personal LOS and radio LOS are two different things. Although you might be able to see it at 3000'-4000' (distances I have issues with) if anything obstructs the signal between the H and transmitter you can lose one or both signals. Both 2.4 and 5.8 are short wavelength,and with the H, low power. It requires very little to disrupt the signal. Tree tops here and there is enough.

With enough power both frequencies can be and have been used for extremely long range work but all the antennas have to maintain a clear signal path. At a couple watts 2.4 can get out over 100 miles but the antennas have to be stellar, with the directional high enough to clear everything when the aircraft is also at a suitably functional altitude.

One of the things you will notice is that the breeze is not as stable as the larger quads are. The Typhoon H does really well in the wind better than almost all quads and that includes DJI and Autel all of the quads. Good luck in the purchase of your TH.

Tuna:

"The furthest I've been was over 4000 ft at which point I was right at the limit of line of sight .."

This is not about 4000ff, but 'at the limit of line of sight'. I want your bionic eyes! Dang!

I fly either LOS pretty close, or full FPV. So, second issue is I can't this beast past 2500 ft. Other FPV drones I have built are 1+ miles. I don't mind the limited distance that much as the creative aspects of video and photography are so good with the H that I spend most of the battery in LOS just getting shots. Interesting I don't push the distance that much. When I do, I am simply exploring the sea caves along the coast we never ever see.

Question: Does the H need to be hooked up to the GUI to set the return to home altitude or is there another way from the controller?

Question: Does the H need to be hooked up to the GUI to set the return to home altitude or is there another way from the controller?
It can be set with the ST16. I just can't remember which icon. Play around and you'll find it. A slider bar should popup for the adjustment.

Thanks guys, that was FAST, and it helps to ease my mind. I am waiting until the spring also to see IF they do a camera upgrade on the factory products then, and hopefully they will have sorted out all these firmware horror stories we are seeing now, I would be using and iPAdPro linked via the HDMI port for viewing, the screen on the TX is a bit too small for me. I am an OAP right now and the sight is not as good as it used to be. My wife is my spotter, and we would seldom if ever put the H more thna a hudred yardsaway from base. I can understand the long range FPV guys but I am not up to that.
You may be putting too much weight on the firmware and camera issues. With the most recent updates the camera seems to be improved considerably and I am extremely please with the results. There are much fewer reports of flying issues as well. There will always be some problems but keep in mind there are likely a million H's in use by now. It's the problems that get the attention but statistically they are few.

This is not about 4000ff, but 'at the limit of line of sight'. I want your bionic eyes! Dang!

I'll confess that was pushing it, and the only time I've gone anywhere near that far. I have the advantage that around here we have completely open, flat fields with no obstructions. For that flight, the nearest man made object was about a mile away.

Have a quick look at this video from RC Models it explains some of the issues you may be having with the signal loss on both 2.4 and 5.8.
He also covers a lot of other topics in great detail which I have found to be of great use.

I have flown 3000+ft before video started twitching. This was over land around a big trail with lots of trees and houses on the side. Yes i did loose LOS as the H flew behind the houses and into the area with trees. Flying at 190' altitude.
Inwas able to fly 4000+ ft over water (sea) close to the shore (<100') and never lost signal but LOS is questionable.
Nothing ever happened to H.

And before anyone starts bashing me for LOS issues. I dont fly out of VLOS. These were test flights I had to run.

You can see my videos here

Aso like to mention that I fly in angle mode with obstacle avoidance turned off. I have the RS module and it still works (I can see thenindicators when I fly close to an object) and I still get 17 mins before the first low voltage alarm. This is on the yuneec battery.

As I am just getting back into flying again after three years away I am retraining myself with a Breeze. but have always wanted the H My plan is to get one next spring when the weather is flyable.Photography is the main thing Not chucking it about the sky. Slow and Steady for me.
Regards
Drew.
I cannot really comment on this as I've never experienced a fly away. Once I lost video, but it popped back as soon as I adjusted the video receiver.

Regards
Drew.
Hi Drew,
I have one of the early TH's in the UK and it has been my experience that I lost down link (FPV) from the H after take off and about 100 yards away. Still with the bird well in visual I flew the H back towards me, once it got back within 20 yards down link was restored and all was well with the rest of the flight. 'Touch wood' the problem seems to have gone away since the October updates. Don't forget, with the H you can program your 'return to home' altitude, I have set mine to 150 ft. just to make certain it clears all the tall trees in the area. I have also on 2 occasions activated RTH when I have lost the down link and the bird has just gone up to 150 ft. and come home. As soon as I have re- established 'down link' I have resumed normal flight. I hope that this helps you in making your decision vis a vis the purchase of an TH.
Kind regards, Michael.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval