Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

J4 Won't Calibrate

Reaction score
Many thanks to all of you who posted the way to calibrate the sticks - it worked great except for J4. J4 is very sluggish even in rabbit mode. I got a can of compressed air, tried using that moving the stick in all different directions, no joy.

Anybody else have suggestions of what I could do?

I think it's time to get it professionally evaluated and fixed. Doh! :mad:

Many thanks to all of you who posted the way to calibrate the sticks - it worked great except for J4. J4 is very sluggish even in rabbit mode. I got a can of compressed air, tried using that moving the stick in all different directions, no joy.
Anybody else have suggestions of what I could do?
I think it's time to get it professionally evaluated and fixed. Doh! :mad:
Compressed air won't get inside the J4 pot. The only way to clean it is using Electrical Contact Cleaner.
See this thread: ST 16 Calibration issue with J2

Hot hokey puppy poop! That did it! Thank you so much for this information!

What I did after purchasing CRC electrical contact cleaner:

1. Fired up the ST16S
  2. Tapped the menu icon 5X fast
  3. Said OK to the prompt on the screen
  4. Went to the RC Monitor mode
  5. Started spraying the CRC while moving the stick around - left/right; up/down, all around.
  6. I did this for about five minutes, observing the numerical indicators.
  7. Finally, after five minutes of spraying and manipulating the sticks, I got 100% movement both ways!

I then went down to the next item - RC calibration.

SUCCESS!!! All green boxes this time!

I wrote this out, hoping it helps someone else.

Than you again!

Reactions: Steve Carr
So I checked the sticks calibration earlier today and J4 was acting up again.

I pulled out the CRC, rolled the sticks around and got a lot of fluid in.

I did the calibration and everything came up green.

I had to wait a couple hours to go flying, but when I launched and was doing my pre-flight checklist (bird in the air about 14'), I moved J4 and it was really perky this time.

The take away from this is to use that CRC regularly. I had very normal flights, with all controls operating smoothly.

Again, many thanks for the advice and keeping me from throwing away $$ on a non-issue.

So I checked the sticks calibration earlier today and J4 was acting up again.
It's possible there is another problem with that stick. It's uncommon, but on some sticks the wiring connector can come lose or even move around when the stick is moved. The only way to confirm is to open the controller and inspect it very carefully. It's tiny and even slight movement is not good. Most of the connectors have a dab of black silicone to prevent them form coming lose, but not all.

If you have difficulty with it while flying, you can switch to Home to bring the H back and let it land. Sliding to Turtle position will minimize it's effect when landing if needed. To use Home you need to stay in an area that is clear of any obstacles and be sure to set your RTH altitude high enough.

It's possible there is another problem with that stick. It's uncommon, but on some sticks the wiring connector can come lose or even move around when the stick is moved. The only way to confirm is to open the controller and inspect it very carefully. It's tiny and even slight movement is not good. Most of the connectors have a dab of black silicone to prevent them form coming lose, but not all.

If you have difficulty with it while flying, you can switch to Home to bring the H back and let it land. Sliding to Turtle position will minimize it's effect when landing if needed. To use Home you need to stay in an area that is clear of any obstacles and be sure to set your RTH altitude high enough.
The second application seems to be working well. I did talk to Yuneec Support today, and the guy told me they could ship me new sticks and if I'm comfortable with it, to swap them out. I might yet do that, but I'm going to give the CRC a couple chances to see if there's just something stubborn in there to knock loose.

I always set and check my RTH parameters depending upon where I'm flying. It would be the **** to fly into something.

Reactions: Steve Carr
I did talk to Yuneec Support today, and the guy told me they could ship me new sticks and if I'm comfortable with it, to swap them out.
Were they going to ship them under warranty? If so, you should accept their offer. The sticks are not difficult to replace. I can make a short video if needed.

OK, let me ping you back on this when I order them. It's probably inevitable that I'll need to do this.

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bech