Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Possible reason for many issues with the Typhoon H, the ST16

talk about 16, had a camera problem still after ny, and Ontario they sent new camera went to bind no cando 16 right toggle bad. tried to bind with teck finally had to send every thing back them to get fixed. have had h since jan. only 5 hrs of flight time. because of a number of problems, and does not count ups loosing it for three weeks if this fix does not work may have to ask for a new drone. Ontario did not fix camera sent to Ontario they said bad antenna, sent to new York bad lense no help. the problem was had problem with pan stop and go, and pixelling, so do not understand their fixs????
well its back in Ontario, hoping for new drone because this one is a lemon. three trys in Washington means your money back or a new drone. they sent me a questionare about the service I got. they should not have done that because they got an ear full but no reply so they probably tost it. sent back a week and a half ago no answer on the repair yet. they said it would go to the front of line because of all the problems. hoping like I said for new drone. my buddy has one and the right toggle does no work properly, no yaw off an on and it has been calibrated, so I will let you know thanks for the reply. oh and yes I did do hardware monitor with yuneec over the phone a couple of times.

That's where I'm getting these readings from. J1 100% up, J2 centered, J3 pegged 100 % down as well as J4 with no touching. Only stick that shows change when manipulated is J2, the 3 others show no change.

Posted telemetry from the flights since update here and also in my other thread.

Attachments

• problem.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
That's where I'm getting these readings from. J1 100% up, J2 centered, J3 pegged 100 % down as well as J4 with no touching. Only stick that shows change when manipulated is J2, the 3 others show no change. Posted telemetry from the flights since update here and also in my other thread.
Start with a factory reset of the ST16. Go to Pad, settings, then down to Reset. After it re-boots you will need to create and new model, give it a name, select the camera and then re-bind. After that go back to Hardware Monitor and check it again. If it still looks like there are problems then do the ST16 calibration.

I'll do that when I get in from today's shoot. Will post back my results. Thank you for the info Steve.

Talked to Yuneec CS and they walked me through a ST16 calibration and everything went well on my first flight tonight. They said no pilot error in my logs, but that I really only had partial control on my problem flights as my initial calibration wasn't there. Weird.

Hardware Monitor is your friend. If everyone used it just once a month, we would see more fixes before the crash.

Reactions: photomike72
So I have the same problem as the OP. I took the 4 screws off around the left gimbal but it still won't come out. Do I have to completely open up the ST16 by taking out all the screws on the back?

For those of you experiencing the following –

Tipping while landing
Difficulty shutting down motors
Slow or sluggish yaw (rudder) response
Drifting

Go into the ST16 System Settings -> Hardware Monitor and check the deflection of J1, J2, J3, and J4 feedback from the left and right sticks. Initially you should be centered on all 4 with no stick input.

Full left/right, and up/down stick movement should show 0 to either -100 or 100 on J1, J2, J3, and J4 and immediately return to 0 when the sticks are centered.

My yaw was slow to non-existent in turtle mode. In the ST16 System Settings -> Hardware Monitor, J2 for mode 2 yaw, my left stick, was showing slightly off center and would only go from -30 to 50. In addition centering wouldn’t return to center immediately, it slowly sort of returned to center depending on if the stick was moved positive or negative. Unless you’ve customized your ST16 settings, this isn’t a calibration issue it’s a dirty potentiometer in the stick gimbal.

I opened my ST16, carefully noted and unplugged the two wires going to my left gimbal and removed my gimbal by removing the 4 screws on the front of the ST16. I then used plastic safe electronic component cleaner on the pots in the gimbal. Once clean and dry I carefully replaced the gimbal, its two connectors, sealed up the ST16 and went into System Settings -> Hardware Monitor. J2 wasn’t centered but I was now getting full deflection and instant return to center. I then went into the secret menu and re-calibrated all of my controls. Now J2 was acting like J1, J3, and J4 and was immediately returning to center. Problem solved. I tested, the H and my rudder yaw was back for both turtle to rabbit mode.

This got me thinking, what if this had happened to the throttle, roll, or pitch input? Well, you might have tipping while landing, difficulty shutting down motors, slow, or sluggish to no rudder response, and drifting.

If you're having any of the above symptoms, I would look at the ST16 System Settings -> Hardware Monitor first and make sure full left/right, and up/down stick movement show 0 to either -100 or 100 on J1, J2, J3, and J4 and immediately return to 0 when the sticks are centered.

BTW – These must be cheap pots being used. Until after many years of use, I’ve never had a radio stick give me issues.

Thanks for this valuable information, Iwas readdy to purchase a second st16. j3 was totally shot A simple cleaning fixed it to perfection. thanks again

Reactions: Steve Carr

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesster0430