Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Jello video

rdonson

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
First, yes, I've searched the forum already. Not sure from the previous discussions there was a consensus of opinion on the cause of jello although there are lots of recommendations about the CG03+ dampers.

Background: new TH480 purchased in Dec 2017 - first flight today. The CGO3+ looks the way it should. Yes, gimbal calibration, compass calibration, accelerometer all completed ok. Even 13 minutes sitting in an open field to make the GPS happy. No wind during today's 4 flights.

Sometimes there is jello in the videos but not always.

Sometimes jello when flying at full speed, sometimes when hovering.

Sometimes I get jello sitting on the ground without the props rotating.

Thoughts? Is the answer still the dampers?

Yep, one or more has separated from the mount at either end. The H generates no jello when those are properly installed. It’s one of, if not the, best, consumer drone gimbals on the market

Ron, I have seen the same thing. Sometimes its there sometimes its not. One time I noticed that one of the dampeners had it's up lip or edge slip partially out of place. When I reinserted it that cleared it right up. Just the other day I was flying with AH-1G and when I got home one of the video (the one I wanted of course) had the wiggle.

Interesting you say that you've seen it happen without props on. I've had a few occasions when I boot up the aircraft and the gimbal has a hum like its fighting to hold in place. On those occasions when I hear it I normally shut down and re boot and it usually goes away. I am beginning to think it could be the gimbal. To make sure I am spending some time balancing the props and will report back.

Note: I did a quick check of my props with a balancer I've had for years (made by DuBro and has been very reliable) but I noticed that due to the very light weight of the Typhoon's props compared to even a small RC prop, I was not getting repeatable results. I've now ordered a simple prop balancer shaft that works magnetically. This set up is very precise in comparison and I have found about half of my props are out of balance significantly enough to cause vibration. Oddly enough; 4 of the 5 are all the "B" props.

due to the very light weight of the Typhoon's props compared to even a small RC prop, I was not getting repeatable results.
Same here. The props are too light for the DuBro and can't overcome the rolling friction of the wheels. I bought two different magnetic balancers but I didn't trust them either. If I rotated the prop 90 deg on the shaft I would get a different result. One day I got out my old Q500 balancing rod and found the H blades slip over the threads of the rod snugly. So that is what I've been using.

When in hover, I watch the landing gear to see how much vibration I can see and that tells me how well I've balanced the props. Other members have suggested using the dampers from the CGO3 which are slightly longer. Some have removed the dust cover on top of the gimbal.

I have noticed two kinds of jello. One from vibration which shows as a "jiggle" in the video. The other appears as wave distortion of the video. That type is cause by electrical interference. You may see it often from the helmet cam from a snowmobiler. The wave starts the moment they start the engine.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Thanks, Pat and Pat! I appreciate the responses.

I'm sure I'll figure something out tomorrow. I hope it's not the gimbal. Yuneec CS hasn't made a lot of friends of late with their speedy service. I wouldn't mind sending it off to Carolina Dronz if that's within the realm of possibilities. They're not that far away and I've had very good luck with them.

Anyway, the first couple of videos I looked at surprised me as this camera seemed a lot sharper than my other CG03+. I never heard a hum from the gimbal. Today was a shakedown day on this bird as I did a bunch of tests with run and gun and rolls at speed and full throttle ascents, hovering, slow movements, turns and such.

I've been considering a prop balancer looking at the DuBro and a Top Flite Power Point Precision Magnetic Balancer. Is the Top Flite what you've ordered? FWIW the new props were very quiet today. I do have other sets of props that I could try but we're looking at a couple of days of rain right now.

I'll post what I find out tomorrow. Its ice cream time right now. :)

Ron

Thanks, Pat and Pat! I appreciate the responses.

I'm sure I'll figure something out tomorrow. I hope it's not the gimbal. Yuneec CS hasn't made a lot of friends of late with their speedy service. I wouldn't mind sending it off to Carolina Dronz if that's within the realm of possibilities. They're not that far away and I've had very good luck with them.

Anyway, the first couple of videos I looked at surprised me as this camera seemed a lot sharper than my other CG03+. I never heard a hum from the gimbal. Today was a shakedown day on this bird as I did a bunch of tests with run and gun and rolls at speed and full throttle ascents, hovering, slow movements, turns and such.

I've been considering a prop balancer looking at the DuBro and a Top Flite Power Point Precision Magnetic Balancer. Is the Top Flite what you've ordered? FWIW the new props were very quiet today. I do have other sets of props that I could try but we're looking at a couple of days of rain right now.

I'll post what I find out tomorrow. Its ice cream time right now. :)

Ron

The one I got was the Great Planes Balancer

61Sp9BImmzL._SX522_.jpg

The one I got was the Great Planes Balancer
That appears to be a substantial shaft. Have you tried it with only the holders screwed on with no prop? On the two that I have, the shaft or the nuts were not balanced so with no prop it always had a heavy side.

Its actually fairly small and light. I did test just the shaft and holders and it seems to balance pretty well own its own. What balancer are you using?

Found this picture just to show scale.

0006501_gpmq5000_550.jpeg

Reactions: Steve Carr
seems to balance pretty well own its own. What balancer are you using?
Looks like you found a good one. I don't remember the brand name on mine. I just put them in a drawer after determining they wouldn't work properly.
Does this one have a magnetic stand?

try to lower the speed of the shutter manually and see if you have an improvement, that is also why we mount ND filters

@Steve Carr I saw several balancers on Amazon that had a tiny little stand but the reviews said basically the same as you mention that the shaft and bases were themselves out of balance.

The one I got is just the Shaft and collets and the reviews were very positive and said this one was good. As it turns out I would tend to agree.

I like the idea of having room for the prop to swing all the way thru so I made a simple stand out of a block of wood, some fiberglass strips and a few magnets. Haven't had a chance to sit down and balance yet though.

Balancer.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Carr
try to lower the speed of the shutter manually and see if you have an improvement, that is also why we mount ND filters

The viberation we're talking about is something more than the regestration movement caused by high shutter speeds. I'm shooting at 1/60th and its very pronounced. Also as mentioned above, one minute it is there and the next it is gone. And this is with the same setting in the same light.

The viberation we're talking about is something more than the regestration movement caused by high shutter speeds. I'm shooting at 1/60th and its very pronounced. Also as mentioned above, one minute it is there and the next it is gone. And this is with the same setting in the same light.
mechanical so

mechanical so

I think it is the most likely scenario. I am thinking it could be a harmonic vibration between multiple slight vibrations. If you ever been around multi-engined RC aircraft at times you can hear pulsing as the engines reach a point at which they set up a weird wah wah sound. I'm wondering if the same is not happening with the Typhoon possibly because we have six motors. The vibration I saw from the other day was very large but very slow, not like a normal jello from a Gopro on a motorcycle handlebar or something like that.

Oliver, I took a look today at my ST16 and I did screw up the 4K setting. I've now got it set to 4096 x 2160 @ 25 fps. I did go manual and had set shutter speed to /160. My next test flight will tell what else I overlooked.

Oliver, I took a look today at my ST16 and I did screw up the 4K setting. I've now got it set to 4096 x 2160 @ 25 fps. I did go manual and had set shutter speed to /160. My next test flight will tell what else I overlooked.
test and test, this is our motto. We spent a lot of time when we made the servo gimbals, then brushless

Based on comments I took a close look at the dampers today. They are the latest with the pin and a clip to hold in 2 of the 4 dampers. All the dampers looked as they should. The only thing that looked a bit wonky to me was the fit of the "CGO3+ RUBBER DAMPER PROTECTIVE COVER". It didn't seem to give the assembly below enough room for the dampers to completely "wiggle". So.... I replaced it with another cover I had on hand.

I did some bench testing after replacing the cover and saw no video jello but that's hardly a great test. The next day for me to test in flight will likely be Wednesday. I'll keep you posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval