Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Longer (6mm & 8mm) PixAero Lenses Now Available!

My observations have the PixAero 3.77 better than the Peau, but that's just me. There's a three lens comparison video for people to generate their own opinions. I haven't personally seen anything yet for the Carolina lens.

Ghost,

You won't notice any closer view with the 3,77 lens. It's there but in such small amount it's not worth mentioning. The two images below were shot with PixAero 3.77 and stock lens cameras from a table last winter just after receiving the PixAero.
I see.

However if anyvody has a spare after a crash.......

Yes , You are correct. I have just purchased and had delivered an 8mm Pixaero lens just before xmas and was supplied with the small mount. Within a few days the pixaero company contacted me about the mistake and wered mailing the correct one and should arrive this week. As the story goes ,I picked up a 2nd hand cgo3+ in Brisbane for $350 which had been fitted with the glass lens the Carolina Drones sells as a standard replacement but sharper images being Glass, it is a good picture. So I thought that the mount will not need chargeing as the lens had plumbers thread seal tape on it. After unscrewing the lens ready for the 8mm one I noticed that the mount had a crack or split on the side, from too much plumbers tape. SO A WARNING JUST 1 TURN AND A SMALL LAP OF TAPE, IF IT GETS HARD TO SCREW IN TO GET ON FOCUS YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TAPE ON IT AND YOU COULD CRACK THE MOUNT. I then thought aha I have the one provided by pixaero , but on examination before dismantling further saw that they were the same length. Tried to screw in and focus like Richard Gilmore and it was at the very beginning of the mount , actually further away that it was in focus, so now it is along wait for the mailman from Russia. I found that Pixaero are very good to deal with and would have no hesitation dealing with them again. With the little trial the image looks great and will suit our inspection company work just fine, we may even do more of our cameras, I am going to ask Pixaero if they do a 10 or 12 mm lens also and possibly try one of them for close inspection work. So now for the lonnnnng wait.
John Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
please let me know how you get on with the 10-12mm lens. Im looking for the best lens for inspection work

Yes , You are correct. I have just purchased and had delivered an 8mm Pixaero lens just before xmas and was supplied with the small mount. Within a few days the pixaero company contacted me about the mistake and wered mailing the correct one and should arrive this week. As the story goes ,I picked up a 2nd hand cgo3+ in Brisbane for $350 which had been fitted with the glass lens the Carolina Drones sells as a standard replacement but sharper images being Glass, it is a good picture. So I thought that the mount will not need chargeing as the lens had plumbers thread seal tape on it. After unscrewing the lens ready for the 8mm one I noticed that the mount had a crack or split on the side, from too much plumbers tape. SO A WARNING JUST 1 TURN AND A SMALL LAP OF TAPE, IF IT GETS HARD TO SCREW IN TO GET ON FOCUS YOU HAVE TOO MUCH TAPE ON IT AND YOU COULD CRACK THE MOUNT. I then thought aha I have the one provided by pixaero , but on examination before dismantling further saw that they were the same length. Tried to screw in and focus like Richard Gilmore and it was at the very beginning of the mount , actually further away that it was in focus, so now it is along wait for the mailman from Russia. I found that Pixaero are very good to deal with and would have no hesitation dealing with them again. With the little trial the image looks great and will suit our inspection company work just fine, we may even do more of our cameras, I am going to ask Pixaero if they do a 10 or 12 mm lens also and possibly try one of them for close inspection work. So now for the lonnnnng wait.
John Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

John, I missed the location or URL you purchased the PixAero 8mm. After the mixup on lens, is the one you later received the correct 8mm for the CGO3+ and is it listed? You mentioned 10-11mm, any word back on that one yet? Could you provide the URL for the 8mm?

Hi Dougcjohn,
HI all, I ordered my lens over ebay in Australia. Go to eBay site type in 8mm Pixaero lens for Yuneec Typhoon H CGO3+ and you should be there . Order and pay ( mine with PayPal) and then shortly you get confirmation of order . Now I have just gone onto the sit this morning and there appears that there are only 6mm lens. It appears to me that they must make a certain amount of lens then sell them off, I must have been lucky to have ordered when they had some in stock. When they emailed me about the mix up with the short mount for the lens ,the return was as follows [email protected] and that is where I sent the reply and maybe you can order through there or find out when they have more 8mm lens coming. I sent a request through ebay for the 10 to 12 mm lens if they make them no reply as of yet that is 3 days ago. When I finish here I will also try through this email address an d see what I get. The person at the bottom of my appology letter is Sergey Prikhodko . The lens came in the box that they show on ebay with foam packaging . So here is hoping. When looking for the lens there are a significant amount of plastic security camera ones for $20 but I thought that $109 usd for the Pixaero was a bit rich until I realized it was Glass no plastic , but there is a thread here that says that our original lens are plastic also. All that I can say is that for $20 I will buy a 12 or up to 18 mm focal length plastic just to see what quality is like , never know I could be quite surprised and would be fantastic for my inspection work. If you don't try you'll never know. I will keep you informed with the endeavors for the 10 to 12 mm PixAero lens for all and budwiser27 was also interested. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Glad that I may be able to help some one . Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

I have the long mount for my 8mm lens delivered yesterday 17/1/18 and am looking forward to putting it on the spare camera that I purchased. All ready to head off to my friends place and start the job and phone call " Hey Dad can you look after Roman today as he can't go to day care because he has a temperature " good old granddad yes of course I will. There goes the camera lens fix for a couple more days yet. But at least I now have all the parts to complete the job. Will keep you informed and my friend will post before and after shots of the results. Johnno Hennessy.

As the 8mm pixaero is getting back into production, I re-examined the selection at Peau Productions... they range from wide fisheye 1.2mm to 8.2mm and offer the long mount base. Something I didn’t realize, they offer filters (I think part of lens) from an artistic IR 650nm or 808nm for creative IR shots and a NDVI filter for Ag projects. Was their sharpness or quality not to the level of Pixaero? Yuneec Typhoon Q500 and H Lenses – Peau Productions

Hi Dougcjohn,
As to my post just before,I have just received my long mount for the lens and still have the job in front of me when I get time over the next few days. From what I have read on this forum the Pixaero is worth waiting for , the 6mm to 8mm is only in magnification capabilities. My business is roof and building inspections and PatR told me that the PixAero 8mm will look like you are 10 ft away when you are 30+ ft away and it is a very good quality lens. So if you don't have immediate work for it or your need is too great go with the Peau but I waited and will be able to post within the next week the results. Sorry that I have no affirmative information but 1 week should do it. Johnno Hennessy.

You'll be out a fair amount. It was a bit over $200.00 when mine was done. That was painful as I'd just trashed a camera, sent it to Yuneec for repair, bought another from Carolina to keep running for $549.00, only to be informed by Yuneec the one I trashed was not repairable, but they made me an offer for a new one I couldn't refuse. Suddenly I went from one to three cameras plus another H as a spare....:rolleyes:
Hi PatR! May I know what specifically have you done with your camera that made it irreparable by Yuneec techs? I'm just curious as what to avoid on doing if ever I decided to crack my cgo3 and do a little experimentation.hehe have you dropped anything or maybe accidentally touched the sony sensor? Or did you break any wires? I'm looking at some YouTube videos and it seems that the new version of cgo3 has now been fixed with a glue or epoxy? So it makes it much harder to replace the lens.

May I also ask this since I am running all stock THPro: I have my unit which is most likely manufactured on APRIL of 2017 based on telemetry data that was not erased when it was tested in Shanghai before being shipped to the US. So, some are saying that the newer stocks of CGO3 Pro comes with a properly (or perfectly as some say) focused stock lens. Is this true?

So, some are saying that the newer stocks of CGO3 Pro comes with a properly (or perfectly as some say) focused stock lens. Is this true?

There is definite variation in how well the stock lens is focused. In my case, the original camera with my primary H became bricked with a particularly messy firmware update in Oct 2017... many people on this board had issues with that firmware revision. But Yuneec did do the standup response and cross-shipped me a new OEM camera. That replacement camera was very well focused, and IMO probably gave as sharp an image as is possible from the stock CGO3+ lens.

About a month later I purchased a 2nd H from a member here who was dissatisfied with his bird. When I received this second Typhoon, I did some comparisons of both video and photos between the two Hs. I was at a minimum, going to replace one of the CGO3+ stock cameras with the Peau 8.25, as that was the primary reason for my purchase. (As it ended up I replaced both camera lenses... #1 with the PixAero 3.77 and #2 with the Peau 8.25)

This second camera was not nearly as well focused as my factory replaced camera. It was not of much concern to me at the time, as I was never intending to use that 2nd camera lens. Nonetheless it was surprising to see such a degree of variation between the two.

Primary OEM Yuneec Lens Test

Secondary OEM Yuneec Lens Test
View media item 409

Last edited:
Did you get the 6mm yet?
No, but I had an email a couple of days ago saying it had been dispatched.
Richard Gilmore made an excellent job of fitting a Peau 8.2mm to a CGO3+ that I have been using. It seems sharp across the frame and has a good depth of field, but camera movement needs to be slow and video shows occasional vibration from the H.YUN04674-PDedit.jpg
This is from a dng that has been processed using PhotoDirector.

Last edited:
Reactions: YuKay
Hi PatR! May I know what specifically have you done with your camera that made it irreparable by Yuneec techs? I'm just curious as what to avoid on doing if ever I decided to crack my cgo3 and do a little experimentation.hehe have you dropped anything or maybe accidentally touched the sony sensor? Or did you break any wires? I'm looking at some YouTube videos and it seems that the new version of cgo3 has now been fixed with a glue or epoxy? So it makes it much harder to replace the lens.

May I also ask this since I am running all stock THPro: I have my unit which is most likely manufactured on APRIL of 2017 based on telemetry data that was not erased when it was tested in Shanghai before being shipped to the US. So, some are saying that the newer stocks of CGO3 Pro comes with a properly (or perfectly as some say) focused stock lens. Is this true?

When I disassembled mine I used the FPV Guy method instead of the Mickeyboo method, which would have been safer. There's a very small flexible ribbon cable that connects the camera board to the sensor and another very small board. That ribbon cable does not tolerate being twisted in any amount. In moving things around I moved and twisted that cable enough to cause a partial separation at a secondary board that took out the WiFi function in the camera. Yuneec could not fix that cable connection.

No, but I had an email a couple of days ago saying it had been dispatched.
Richard Gilmore made an excellent job of fitting a Peau 8.2mm to a CGO3+ that I have been using. It seems sharp across the frame and has a good depth of field, but panning needs to be slow.View attachment 8379
This is from a dng that has been processed using PhotoDirector.

Nice photo Graham, and really shows the improvement in finished product the Peau lenses provide. Looks like an early morning light shot?

YuKay,
Enlarging the photo is the only place I see what might be described as a canvas effect. Graham will certainly comment about use of filters but the the canvas effect isn't discernible (for me) until enlarging the photo which causes me to think the effect is noise, or pixelation, caused by excessive enlargement.

Reactions: Graham and rdonson

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drakemerch33