Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

max speed on angle mode

When you select RTH does the H return to the spot that it took off from (GPS location) or does it return to where the ST 16 is?

ST16. Originally it may have been different.

It is OK to turn the GPS on and off during flight, but I suggest hovering when switching.

When you select RTH does the H return to the spot that it took off from (GPS location) or does it return to where the ST 16 is? Meaning that if you took off from one spot then walked about 200 feet to a different spot and then selected the RTH what spot would the h return to?

Using the Wizard the H had dynamic RTH, haven't tested the ST16.

When you select RTH does the H return to the spot that it took off from (GPS location) or does it return to where the ST 16 is? Meaning that if you took off from one spot then walked about 200 feet to a different spot and then selected the RTH what spot would the h return to?
I believe I've done that where I changed where I was and return to home brought it back to within about 25 feet of my new location. I believe it's linked to the gps vicintiy of the ST-16, not what it's original home was. Others may chime in with more knowledge than myself, but I believe that was my case, and is the case as far as it being a relation to the radio instead of original launch location. I hope I'm right or follow me mode just became a boring little circle feature. ;)

Thrill? Hmm...thrill to me is my Mustang zooming past ______MPH (fill in the blank).:)
To a friend, it's his Ducati right (behind?) me.:)
Diff strokes, huh.

To the topic, I've seen my standard TH, w/o cam attached, over 50 mph.
Behind you? Did one of his spark plug wires come lose?
Just kidding. Both nice rides for the adrenaline needs of any common man.
I got my ego put in check by an older, (mid 90's) beat up, but amazing sounding Mustang on the freeway in Vegas several years back. I was extremely impressed. In my defense, I was on a buddy's Honda 954 and his head bearing was worn, causing some serious head shake, bordering on a deadly tank slap, that caused me to have to quickly let off from the approximately 140+ I had gotten up to, but that car got there almost as quick, and may have caught and passed my anyways. What blew me away was, we were already doing about 60 when he challenged me, I dropped 2 gears and launched like lightning, thinking I would embarrass him, but he didn't shrink in my mirrors at all, as they usually did, and I knew I may be in trouble even if I had been able to stay buried in it.

Using the Wizard the H had dynamic RTH, haven't tested the ST16.
I noticed in your August video that the TH flew backwards in RTH mode. In later firmware releases, the TH turns around to fly forwards home, then turns again to land facing away from you.

You have to turn GPS off and fly manually for full speed. It's actually a safety feature. 30 MPH with GPS on is plenty fast for me.

The H is actually faster and more powerful than The Phantom and from what I read can carry a heavier payload.

You can improve on this with after market props too. But the only way to go Max Throttle is No GPS Angle Mode.

How much quicker would the after market props make it?

With the gps off, what would be most dangerous having it turned off? Will the H still hover by itself or would the pilot need to control every movement?

How do you turn the GPS OFF?

Thanks for your time n info

Just remember that 30 MPH speed is a safety feature, and plenty fast.

If you turn GPS off and want to fly at MAX Speed, you are flying SOLEY LINE OF SIGHT, and if you go max Speed, your drone can get out of SIGHT in a hurry.
There have been reported speeds of 50 MPH, and I saw one of 60 MPH with a tail wind.

That gets out of sight on you, and you have GPS off, you don't know where Longitude and Latitude is for your drone, and neither does your drone know where it is.
Not only that, I have never done this, and never feel the need to, so I do not know if you can recall your DRONE with The HOME button with GPS off if you lose sight of it.

Losing sight of your Drone is a scary experience too, and can cause you to panic.

So know how to use The Green Arrow to get it back to you without being able to see it. Make sure you have plenty of elevation too.
I lost sight of mine the other day. It was rather high and I was flying over a park and a tree blocked my view.

I panicked a bit, forgot about the Green Arrow, and increased elevation and still could not see it. That's because it was just a dot in the sky and about 390 feet in the air.
So I thought I hit the Home Key, but I actually flipped OBS on instead.

Then I saw what I did, hit The Home Button and it came right back to me.

This happened in a matter of seconds but seemed like an eternity.

First thing I did right was take my hands off the stick and try to visually locate it again, and then think.
I looked and saw that I flipped the wrong switch and just hit home, and as it was coming home, I said to myself, "DUMMY" you Panicked, and all you needed to do was to look at your screen and use the Green Arrow to manually fly it back to you."

I practice as much as I can. But imo, until you get like about 20-30 flights and repeatedly use all of it's features and buttons like the back of your hand don't be turning stuff off that is there to help you enjoy your drone safely and to make sure you don't lose it.

Very good points.

I have flown with GPS off to test the speed, and to practice flying maneuvers without GPS for potential emergencies should I lose GPS. Something each pilot should know how to do is fly his craft without electronic stabilization. Not as easy as many would think without practice.

Adding the GPS On/Off capability to the AUX switch has been suggested many times over the past year. Hopefully Yuneec will eventually do this for us.

However, one issue not mentioned in the above comments, is the delay to turn GPS back on when flying without it. You have to take your eyes off the TH, look at your ST16 screen, select the sub-menu, then select GPS ON. If your flying without GPS and an emergency occurs, those few seconds looking away from the TH (to turn the GPS ON) are more than enough time for a disaster to occur.

I am fortunate, I have hundreds of acres of clear open space to practice in. Most and I am sure those above looking for the thrill do not, and they are the ones who will most likely find themselves in a situation where the disaster WILL occur. A wrecked TH, someone else's property damaged, and hopefully not personal injury. All of which hurt the UAS community.

Get your thrill from flying, or should I say Flying WELL through practice. Make awesome videos/photos, etc. Post them on Youtube for your own notoriety. Don't fly dangerous and stupid.

The above thrill could also get you into a lot of hot water with the FAA as Reckless Flying is one of their top No No's.
Fly Safe and Fly Fun!

Reactions: PatR and THoff
The kids that want the H to be fast are the ones that will cry when they crash and wonder why.

The H has decent speed and its a camera/video drone not a racer like others said...the H is also a decent sized bird high speed and possibly losing control can suck major **** so be careful.

Reactions: THoff
You have to turn GPS off and fly manually for full speed. It's actually a safety feature. 30 MPH with GPS on is plenty fast for me.

The H is actually faster and more powerful than The Phantom and from what I read can carry a heavier payload.

You can improve on this with after market props too. But the only way to go Max Throttle is No GPS Angle Mode.
can you recommend some aftermarket props that do not require balancing? aka good to use out of the box?

im not a fan of aftermarket anything i stick with oem...cuz they can mimic the design of the H but not exact

I had what I believe is a flyaway yesterday . Uploaded my logs today. On the UAV toolbox it recorded 59.3 MPH. The app also recorded the coordinates until the transmission feed went dead. I was in angle mode but I tried RTH with no luck.

Started out with waiting for the sats to lock in had 14 on the bird and 12 on the ST-16. Took off to 30 feet checked her out and then ascended to 145 feet and took a look around doing a 360. I live on the edge of a forest and always try to make sure I'm clear.
At that point I got a compass warning and the bird did a 270 and held that heading for 1148 feet. Had a total of 10 compass warnings while on its death streak. Also had 4 voltage warnings while it was renegade which lasted maybe 40 seconds.

Great app Tuna hope I get to use it again. If they don't replace it I won't be flying anymore. This was my 71st flight in case you are wondering. Love this forum learned tons from you guys.

Wow! Terrifying. My condolences...
I may as well be the first to ask. Did you install the latest update? Did you do any calibrations immediately prior to this flight?

Reactions: Jester
I did install the latest firmware. I did my calibrations after the firmware install. I have five flights since the firmware update and all was normal. Great results from the firmware update never had any issues ever with the aircraft before the update. I also have a Phantom 4 Pro+ which has some videoing issues with the controller to the aircraft in 4k but, all in all this guy was my go to when I fly. I felt so much more confident with the TH until yesterday.

can you recommend some aftermarket props that do not require balancing? aka good to use out of the box?

IMO it's very rare to find balanced props in the consumer market. A decent balancer and 30 minutes is worth the investment.

Foxs1,

No proof but I think Yuneec's supplier of GPS/Compass units has a problem with product consistency. If you were not flying with GPS turned off when yours ran away, the only way it could achieve that 59mph speed was if the GPS failed. The GPS and compass are linked components. I noticed that when mine did something similar the H would not respond to any stick input. The up side is that Yuneec will likely take care of you. After that it will take a few flights to develop confidence in the aircraft again.

Roger that, in review of the logs that I downloaded from the .csv showed the max speed when I lost connection was 28.22 m ps or about 64 mph at an altitude of 111'. The aircraft also had 19 sats still locked on. It was also sliding sideways. I spent 3 hours hiking and searching in tall grass and steep terrain with the last known coordinates and couldn't find any signs of a wreckage. At that speed and angle it's probable that there isn't much left.

The most daunting issue is this could have happened over a populated area that could have resulted in a tragedy or loss of life. So I have asked myself: What did I do wrong ? What could I have done differently to avoid this? I always wait for the sats to load up (14 min.) and lift to make sure there are no issues with the aircraft to approx. 30' wait for warnings and stability issues and then take it to my altitude for filming. I am always aware of wind, sunspots, nfz's, batteries, etc., etc., which all pilots need to do or do prior to liftoff no matter what the platform.

This event has made me very conscientious of the potentiality of what we do as pilots no matter what platform we are using. My only hope is that all UAV pilots participate in a course that informs them of the airspaces, limitations, and general respect of the sport. I did this a while back through a respected aeronautical university.

Aloha

The most daunting issue is this could have happened over a populated area that could have resulted in a tragedy or loss of life...

The takeaway here in my opinion is that these things can (and do) fail at any time and any place. Just like any other technology. It's up to the operator to define his/her comfort (insurance) zone.

One of my favorite sayings regarding technology (having worked in computers since before the dawn of 11" floppy disks) is this: The amazing thing is that any of it works at all.

In this (Typhoon H, DJI, home-built, whatever) package we've got flight software developed by XXX, camera software by XXX, GPS software by XXX, power-management software by XXX, and then another XXX to put it all together and deliver it to your controller (developed and maintained by yet another XXX). Don't let me forget that the (ever-evolving) chips installed on these things come from XXX as well, and the software guys/gals need to keep up with all those changes. Did I mention that the 20-somethings that originally wrote all that code (a few months/weeks ago) now have real jobs and maybe a family to pay attention to?

When I boot up my (makes-my-living) PC after a re-start, I'm thankful that my desktop has the right icons on it.

When you all (me included) take your $1,000-plus toys into the air be mindful of the many failure modes involved, and that the 1 guy/gal who has a problem is generally the one with their hands on the sticks.

Dis-mounting soap-box....

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smyers