Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Moving off hover response vs. Typhoon H

Reaction score
The Typhoon H responds pretty poorly when hovering with the GPS on when applying any pitch or roll input. The Typhoon H is super smooth without GPS in the same situation, but I tend to fly with GPS on for fail-safe.

Does the Tornado behave the same? Is there a difference in the 920 vs. 920 plus?

Thank you (Pat in advance!)

Before trying to answer your questions it's probably a good idea to mention the 920+ is all about the camera. It's not nearly as fast as a Typhoon H. It cannot not fly like a hard driven sports car. More like a truck with a speed governor. It maneuvers best when turns are coordinated, using lots of yaw combined with the roll input when you want to "point the nose". It's designed to fly smoothly to obtain the best possible image captures. From my perspective it's greatest fault, if we wanted to call it that, is it's a little slower at top speed than it could be. Then again, most of the rigs I've flown in this size range have not been all that fast unless you were willing to use up the batteries in just a few minutes. Turning off GPS increases max speed a little bit but proportionally not as much as it does for the Typhoon H. If you have "a need for speed" the 920+ is not where you'll need to be. If you frequently fly in a lot of wind you'll find the 920+ can handle more wind than a Typhoon H, and that's a lot of wind.

The 920+ is not as aggressive as the Typhoon H. It's more stable in GPS hover, with positional variation generally a foot or less in any direction although once in a while it can drift up to a couple feet, usually laterally. GPS off it's also quite stable but perhaps because it's larger it seems to drift a little more with the wind in a "GPS off" hover. It may well be it just appears to because its larger size is a lot easier to see. How you handle the controls is everything to the start and stop process. If you're one that always uses "fast" full transmitter stick deflections to initiate movement you can experience a braking effect that generates up to about 15 to 20 degrees of airframe tilt from the level plane when achieving a full start and stop That does not telegraph to the image product. If you're one that smoothly eases into starts and stops with less than full stick deflection there is almost no airframe tilt. Maneuvering during directional flight is extremely smooth. If you're a full scale pilot you could easily compare it to a Piper Cub in handling qualities. The 920+ is not at all "twitchy" like the Typhoon H can be.

I cannot speak for the original 920 as I have never flown one. Perhaps someone that has will chime in with their experiences.

Last edited:
Thank you Pat.

Good, excellent. Probably exactly what I am looking for. I tend to go slow as I fly to explore and plan a shots. I am getting a lot better at coordinated turns to limit the video shearing as well. What prompted the question was flying my 3DR Solo again after a year; the slow speed control is perfection in that package.

I am planning the move to the 920 for just the camera.

Thank again!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hodgepodge