Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Near miss Niagara Falls.. Please do your due dilligence!

Reaction score
About 20 mins away from me. This pilot did apologize publicly. FAA is still investigating, Niagara Parks and Transport Canada looking into aswell

Supposedly last year but please do not depend on your drone to tell you that it is a No Fly Zone.. Be a good pilot, know the rules, look at a map, listen. Many have no clue that the flying over the falls is restricted airspace. Many many helicopters do tours over and around the falls you can see or hear a heli every 5 minutes. I live here, and I know it could pose a risk to the 1000's of daily visitors and thats all I need to know not to fly around there.

the attitude of I've read of some.. that I have read in the comments is so negligent "if the drone does not stop me from flying it in a location I will fly it"

Please set a good example! The lives of people arent worth the likes you want!

Last edited:
Another instance where responsible pilots get a bad rap. Clearly the drone pilot knew what they were doing was wrong, right from take off. They just got caught and could have killed innocent people. I’m not an expert but it also looks to me that the altitude is way over 400 ft as well

I believe this individual knew the helicopter was coming, you can see him already panning away.
I compared my 400' flights to this one, he is definitely way above 400'. I'd say 600'

Last edited:
I believe this individual new the helicopter was coming, you can see him already panning away.
I compared my 400' flights to this one, he is definitely way above 400'. I'd say 600'
I agree. At least 600 ft and most probably more.

On another forum it was "deducted" that he was around 1100' AGL.

Yes. And these idiots still post their video's on YouTube, just so they can get themselves caught and get the regulators looking at the law abiding drone pilots!

Reactions: biltno
I'm all for a class for those who want to purchase a drone. Once you finish and pass, you get a certification to purchase a drone.
Just as you do to get your drivers license.

Reactions: PatR and BigAl07
Holy crap man. You could almost make a case for attempted manslaughter, if there is such a thing. What an incredible self centered *** this guy is.

If we all lose our freedom to fly these, it'll be because of morons like this .

I'm all for a class for those who want to purchase a drone. Once you finish and pass, you get a certification to purchase a drone.
Just as you do to get your drivers license.
Still go out and speed,drink drive and kill, pointless. It's almost impossible to stop.

You're not going to stop everyone, but you will weed out many.
Does everyone who passes a driving test start as an idiot? People become lazy, take risks etc, they become bad drivers, I wish there was a way to stop them too, it's almost inherent in some it's a thrill, obviously some will learn and obey, Just as much as some don't need teaching, they learn their hobby and obey the rules. It's a complex issue sadly.

Laws only work for those that choose to obey the law. The reason they choose to obey is because a law is enforced and penalty for violation is more than they are willing to or want to pay.

Much like a lock, they only work to keep honest people honest. A dishonest person cares not a twit for the law and violates them as opportunity presents itself. It almost seems like some seeking a fleeting moment of fame or recognition will act similar to a dishonest or thoughtless person if the act appears to satisfy the need.

Backing off cliffs and killing themselves for a “selfie” are prime examples.

In this case the operator knew what had been done wrong and fessed up. Fortunately there was no collision. Had there been, fessing up and apologies would not change a thing.

From my perspective the FAA should treat this violation as a gross violation of careless and reckless operation of an aircraft and administer the maximum fine. Examples have to be made to get the message across. One message DJI flyers need to receive, if they are involved in a collision DJI will give them up in a heartbeat. They volunteer identities based on flight telemetry. If they agreed to DJI’s EULA, DJI knows who owns the aircraft and where it’s flying.

Laws only work for those that choose to obey the law. The reason they choose to obey is because a law is enforced and penalty for violation is more than they are willing to or want to pay.

Much like a lock, they only work to keep honest people honest. A dishonest person cares not a twit for the law and violates them as opportunity presents itself. It almost seems like some seeking a fleeting moment of fame or recognition will act similar to a dishonest or thoughtless person if the act appears to satisfy the need.

Backing off cliffs and killing themselves for a “selfie” are prime examples.

In this case the operator knew what had been done wrong and fessed up. Fortunately there was no collision. Had there been, fessing up and apologies would not change a thing.

From my perspective the FAA should treat this violation as a gross violation of careless and reckless operation of an aircraft and administer the maximum fine. Examples have to be made to get the message across. One message DJI flyers need to receive, if they are involved in a collision DJI will give them up in a heartbeat. They volunteer identities based on flight telemetry. If they agreed to DJI’s EULA, DJI knows who owns the aircraft and where it’s flying.
Perhaps they should follow driving penalties here, you have a choice, pay a fine and penalty points, or a course to make you aware of what you did, drum it into you, if you offend again you pay the fines, penalty points and the new offence fines too. I personally would think twice about where i flew.

There would first need to be some type of enforcement to catch violators. Making a law without a means to enforce it is pointless.

But the FAA has always been an agency that does not enact or enforce a law or regulation until after somebody has died. Our air traffic control system was founded only after two passenger flights collided in mid air over the Grand Canyon. Commercial regulations did not come into existence until it became well established some pilots would go to any length to “get the job done”, often killing themselves and others in the process.

Not to beat a horse, but getting a traffic light or stop sign installed at a busy intersection works the same way. It won’t happen until a prerequisite number of people have been killed at the intersection. Cost versus benefit...

Last edited:
There would first need to be some type of enforcement to catch violators. Making a law without a means to enforce it is pointless.

But the FAA has always been an agency that does bot enact or enforce a law or regulation until after somebody has died. Or air traffic control system was founded only after two passenger flights collided in mid air over the Grand Canyon. Commercial regulations did not come into existence until it became well established some pilots would go to any length to “get the job done”, often killing themselves and others in the process.

Not to beat a horse, but getting a traffic light or stop sign installed at a busy intersection works the same way. It won’t happen until a prerequisite number of people have been killed at the intersection. Cost versus benefit...

Unfortunately you're spot on.

Perhaps they should follow driving penalties here, you have a choice, pay a fine and penalty points, or a course to make you aware of what you did, drum it into you, if you offend again you pay the fines, penalty points and the new offence fines too. I personally would think twice about where i flew.

As well this would create a whole new cottage industry... and people will end up wasting Saturdays in Drone Traffic School... ?

But the FAA has always been an agency that does not enact or enforce a law or regulation until after somebody has died. Our air traffic control system was founded only after two passenger flights collided in mid air over the Grand Canyon. Commercial regulations did not come into existence until it became well established some pilots would go to any length to “get the job done”, often killing themselves and others in the process.

Well the police have been given extra powers to enforce the law, being able to search and confiscate your equipment, all still work in progress ,obviously you have to be caught like speeding, clearly since we live in different countries we have little experience of each others, local councils here have money to be able install traffic calming measures if identified an area of concern, there doesn't have to be a fatality, The suggestion of an awareness course for some driving offences seems to work here, with re- offending down,

It's never a waist to understand rules and regulations for the sake of safety!? Many are to lazy to investigate what is and should be when flying their drone.?

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis