Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need Help Deciding ! Typhoon 4k or DJI P3 Advance

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just signed up and this is my 1st post. I'm a amatuer automotive photographer and videographer. After 1 year of research, I'm ready to buy and pick up my new drone today! Both are on sale and I have to pull the trigger but can't decide.

I was hoping you guys can help me decide. I know I want a Yuneec and a DJI by the end of the year. I love both. I will be using this drone mainly for aerial shots of cars. I have Sony professional grade mirrorless cameras, sliders, crane rigs and a drone is the only missing gear. I have borrowed and used professional drones that carry DSLRs in the past. I live in beautiful San Diego but, have at least 3 major airports within 5 -10 miles of my home.

I know I will be operating the drone withing line of sight only. I know P3's lightbridge tech offers more range that I don't need for now. Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to my webpage to show the type of work I do.

Thanks!

number63

Depends on the amount of $ you want to speed, and if you want a pro grade camera, or a prosumer grade camera? pro grade you won't want either a Phantom or H, but rather a Inspire2 when available or a Yuneec 920?

I love my H so far and dislike DJI for many reasons but I am fair minded and I admit I like some things about DJI, mainly its software,
I have to admit that DJI allows you to bypass the airport restrictions easily from everything I have read.

Since you live so close to airports that might put you in the "no fly zone." If so the H software won't even allow you to start the motors. I am unsure how hard it has been for guys to get Yuneec to allow them to bypass that.

So you may want to consider the Phantom 4 because of that.

I do want to add that if you are doing professional filming and want to use your DSLR's don't even consider this level of drone. If you can afford it, go for a more professional drone like the Yuneec Tornado or DJI Inspire that can mount standard cameras.

Depends on the amount of $ you want to speed, and if you want a pro grade camera, or a prosumer grade camera? pro grade you won't want either a Phantom or H, but rather a Inspire2 when available or a Yuneec 920?

Thanks for our quick reply. Both cameras have 1080 dp which is what I shoot at with my Sony AR7 fullframe cameras, so as far as editing, I got that covered. (4K is not something I'm not shooting with presently) My concerns about the Yuneec are the hard to see screen even with the hood installed. Also, I will be flying in very remote areas in our mountain regions, about the only place it's legal to fly here. I'm worried about range (line of sight) and losing connection. Pro grade like an H 4K is something I will consider in a year if I'm sure I can benefit from having a drone for my hobby.

I love my H so far and dislike DJI for many reasons but I am fair minded and I admit I like some things about DJI, mainly its software,
I have to admit that DJI allows you to bypass the airport restrictions easily from everything I have read.

Since you live so close to airports that might put you in the "no fly zone." If so the H software won't even allow you to start the motors. I am unsure how hard it has been for guys to get Yuneec to allow them to bypass that.

So you may want to consider the Phantom 4 because of that.

I do want to add that if you are doing professional filming and want to use your DSLR's don't even consider this level of drone. If you can afford it, go for a more professional drone like the Yuneec Tornado or DJI Inspire that can mount standard cameras.

Thank you! I have no plans to fly anywhere near my home. The danger of colliding with a passenger plane and Medivac helicopters is a real possibility! There are two military bases with low flying aircraft too. I don't want to go to jail. I live between two hospitals! 90% of my shooting w/ my DSLR & mirrorless cams will always be with my crane rigs and tripods. The drone footage will be 10% or less, that is why I don't want to invest too much into a pro drone right now. Yes, I have heard the apps fro DJI are more reliable and user friendly. See why I'm torn?

Go with a Phantom 3 Professional if you just want 10% shooting! they are very reasonably priced now, can shoot in 1080 or 4K. have great distance and camera

Reactions: m5zealot
First, sorry I am posting about the H in a Q500 forum. I just noticed that. Oh well... i:)i
So my opinion is from an H owner, not a Q500 owner.

=============================================
So you are going to do "aerial shots of cars" in a remote area???

All I can tell you is I also have a crane, well jib actually, and got my H for Indy film making. Been slow going but, like you, I got it to complete my tool box for those very high shots.

I never even heard of Yuneec until last year when the Q500 got on my radar. Then at CES they announced the H and that caught my attention.
I was very open to that or a DJI platform as I have not owned either. I read and read about both and really hated what people said about DJI's customer service.
I also started disliking DJI fanboys as they are not always the most open minded people, to most of them it is DJI or junk. I did not want to become one of them.

I can only afford one drone so thought that if I got one I want it backed up by a company that would stand by it. I also like the idea of the hex over the quad. Hit a branch on a DJI and it goes to the ground, done. No company to help you so you are out the $1300 or whatever.

Hit a branch on the H and it can still come home and land. I also liked what I seen of RealSence if you wanted to use it through trees etc...

So we are in the very beginnings of the H and I am sure the software will come. As long as Yuneec backers me up if it crashes not due to me, I will be happy.

We return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
Thanks for the all the input you guys! Running to lunch real quick. I'm going to hold off on picking up the Yuneec for a few hours. Please click on my the number63 link on my 1st post and see the type of videos I make. Not trying to boost my site, just want to give you an idea of the ways I will be using the drone. The H is looking good now for few more $$$$.

First, sorry I am posting about the H in a Q500 forum. I just noticed that. Oh well... i:)i
So my opinion is from an H owner, not a Q500 owner.

=============================================
So you are going to do "aerial shots of cars" in a remote area???

All I can tell you is I also have a crane, well jib actually, and got my H for Indy film making. Been slow going but, like you, I got it to complete my tool box for those very high shots.

I never even heard of Yuneec until last year when the Q500 got on my radar. Then at CES they announced the H and that caught my attention.
I was very open to that or a DJI platform as I have not owned either. I read and read about both and really hated what people said about DJI's customer service.
I also started disliking DJI fanboys as they are not always the most open minded people, to most of them it is DJI or junk. I did not want to become on of them.

I can only afford one drone so thought that if I got one I want it backed up by a company that would stand by it. I also like the idea of the hex over the quad. Hit a branch on a DJI and it goes to the ground, done. No company to help you so you are out the $1300 or whatever.

Hit a branch on the H and it can still come home and land. I also liked what I seen of RealSence if you wanted to use it through trees etc...

So we are in the very beginnings of the H and I am sure the software will come. As long as Yuneec backers me up if it crashes not due to me, I will be happy.

We return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Thank you. Yes, from all my research DJi has horrendous customer service. I work in customer. Service and I know I don't got to work everyday to be an *** to my customer. Every story has another side right?

I appreciate everyone's input and thankful you guys have not behaved like crazy fanboys. I'm just looking for that little push to buy a drone today.

Reactions: DroneClone
Thank you. Yes, from all my research DJi has horrendous customer service. I work in customer. Service and I know I don't got to work everyday to be an *** to my customer. Every story has another side right?

I appreciate everyone's input and thankful you guys have not behaved like crazy fanboys. I'm just looking for that little push to buy a drone today.
DJI USA has really revamped their customer service and it is not like days of old ! Like Yuneec? Getting there!

He guys, I decided to get a Q500 4K. I couldn't resist because BestBuy matched the one day only price of $699.00! Thanks again for all your input. I do have one possible issue. The camera seems to hang tilted to the left when it's not on. Either on the drone or on steady grip it doesn't hang straight. It does straighten out when it comes on but was wondering if that is normal. Pics and vids are not crooked or show any issues. It bugs me for some reason. I only have six months to get it this resolved so I better hurry!
28214580312_7414637336_c.jpg
IMG_2012.jpg

I have something too that "hangs" crooked till it gets turned on ! LOL!:eek: It is perfectly normal!, I mean the camera to do that! LOL !

Yes when it is not powered all gimbals will just hang loose. No power to stableize them.
Turn the gimble on and it should self level and hold that level, that is what a gimbal does.

You made a good choice. I've used my Q500 4K on many pro shoots and have been accepted into a couple of Film Festivals so quality of the hardware is not an issue.

Tips:
Shoot everything at 4K and resample down to 1080P. The quality is way better than my old $3K Canon 5D MKIII. Better yet, ditch 1080P all together. (I have)
I manually set the white balance to "cloudy" to give the footage a warmer look and feel.
Don't be afraid to override the exposure setting.

I have something too that "hangs" crooked till it gets turned on ! LOL!:eek: It is perfectly normal!, I mean the camera to do that! LOL !
LOL, I really set myself up for that one! Thanks man, I needed a laugh this morning! :)

Reactions: DroneClone
You made a good choice. I've used my Q500 4K on many pro shoots and have been accepted into a couple of Film Festivals so quality of the hardware is not an issue.

Tips:
Shoot everything at 4K and resample down to 1080P. The quality is way better than my old $3K Canon 5D MKIII. Better yet, ditch 1080P all together. (I have)
I manually set the white balance to "cloudy" to give the footage a warmer look and feel.
Don't be afraid to override the exposure setting.

Thanks for the tip! I used Sony Mirrorless cameras, A6000 and AR7s. I ditched ancient DSLRs because my shooting usually involves attaching a camera to a car or motorcycle. Small compact but rivals the big DSLRs in almost every aspect. I had drones in mind too when I made the switch. I use Final Cut Pro with the most powerful Mac I could afford a few months ago. I know I'm going to make some epic vids to share with you guys soon.

Yes when it is not powered all gimbals will just hang loose. No power to stableize them.
Turn the gimble on and it should self level and hold that level, that is what a gimbal does.

Thanks! I guess I got used to seeing these babies on Youtube and online with no "sagging" cam.

Just a shot of me testing my new toy in the local mountains! My first successful landing in Angle mode. I drove 35 miles away from my city and not one home around me. GPS was warning me of a close by NO FLY ZONE! WTF? Turns out the local Fire Department was a mile away and of course having a helicopter landing pad, it registers on then FAA KNOWB4UFLY app on my cell phone! Jeez. Love this baby! So easy to fly and 5X more quiet than any Phantom for sure! 13730904_10206401690550996_6640672104293148250_o.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I used Sony Mirrorless cameras, A6000 and AR7s. I ditched ancient DSLRs because my shooting usually involves attaching a camera to a car or motorcycle. Small compact but rivals the big DSLRs in almost every aspect. I had drones in mind too when I made the switch. I use Final Cut Pro with the most powerful Mac I could afford a few months ago. I know I'm going to make some epic vids to share with you guys soon.
I foresee a huge flood of people switching to mirrorless. I switched over to Panasonic last year and I've never been happier. In fact I have to shoot a wedding tonight and I'm overjoyed I don't have to carry 10lbs of Canon gear around my neck!

I shoot nothing but 4K now. It's great that you have a fast Mac, you'll need the power. I built myself an 8-core AMD workstation using Premiere Pro for editing. I also use After Effects for my 2D animation and LIghtwave for my 3D work.

More tips...
1) The only time I've ever busted a prop has been high winds. The Q500 4K doesn't do well in anything over 10mph wind speeds. You can do it but it's sketchy.
2) Buy the Yuneec USB dongle Flight simulator. I got one on Ebay for $27. You can download the software for free. It let's you use your existing controller and fly around a 3D Q500 on your computer. It actually feels exactly like the real thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval