Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Need image editor recommendation for MacBook...

Reaction score
I think I may have asked this already, if so, my apologies. But I need something that will run on my Mac without being a major PITA. I'm looking for something cheap/free, just tried loading GIMP, I could get it working, ONCE, then it would go back to running me in circles, refusing to install because the developer was "unknown", Apple speak for they haven't paid us to be in the App Store :mad:. It isn't often that I miss my PC, but this is starting to be one of those times. Don't need fancy, just basic editing tools, although the ability to work with RAW files would be a plus. Thanks guys.

Dave

I think I may have asked this already, if so, my apologies. But I need something that will run on my Mac without being a major PITA. I'm looking for something cheap/free, just tried loading GIMP, I could get it working, ONCE, then it would go back to running me in circles, refusing to install because the developer was "unknown", Apple speak for they haven't paid us to be in the App Store :mad:. It isn't often that I miss my PC, but this is starting to be one of those times. Don't need fancy, just basic editing tools, although the ability to work with RAW files would be a plus. Thanks guys.

Dave
Just looked at GIMP's web site and it looks like you can get a version for MAC-OS. Just a thought...you haven't downloaded the Windows version by mistake, have you?

No, this is an issue with Apple and their security settings on the Mac. Unless the developer has paid off Apple, making their software available through the App Store, it's **** near impossible to run it on a Mac. You can, but the hoops you have to go through are just ridiculous. Apple support is NO help, they run you around in the same circles without actually solving your question. Guess it's time to get under the hood and force some changes, this is the kind of crap that had me hating on Microsoft so much. Sorry, just venting, but now I'm getting aggravated enough to make it work, despite Apple! Later.

Dave

Disregard, sometimes you just need to get stubborn :mad:. After a bit of a fight, I was finally able to get my Mac to do it my way, GIMP is now working like a champ, and looks like it'll do everything I'll need for the foreseeable future. Now I just need to figure out where everything is, the last program of this type I used was an older version of Photoshop Elements. Later.

Dave

Disregard, sometimes you just need to get stubborn :mad:. After a bit of a fight, I was finally able to get my Mac to do it my way, GIMP is now working like a champ, and looks like it'll do everything I'll need for the foreseeable future. Now I just need to figure out where everything is, the last program of this type I used was an older version of Photoshop Elements. Later.

Dave
I use GIMP all the time for my drone images. I first downloaded it to deal with fish-eye images from my Phantom 2 Vision Plus, but now I use it for all of my enhancement needs. Not the easiest bit of software to get to grips with but for a freeby you can't beat it.

Like you said, for a freeby, it's pretty hard to beat, from the little bit of poking around I've done so far, it seems even more capable than Elements. Still need a separate program for RAW images, but GIMP had a couple of recommendations when I tried to open one, both are also open source and free. Now I just need to decide which. One is called Darktable, the other is RawTherapee, if anyone is familiar with either, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. Later.

Dave

Like you said, for a freeby, it's pretty hard to beat, from the little bit of poking around I've done so far, it seems even more capable than Elements. Still need a separate program for RAW images, but GIMP had a couple of recommendations when I tried to open one, both are also open source and free. Now I just need to decide which. One is called Darktable, the other is RawTherapee, if anyone is familiar with either, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts. Later.

Dave
Yes, for RAW, I use Raw Therapee, but I admit that I haven't got my head completely around Raw Therapee anywhere near as much as GIMP. I mainly use it to do basic enhancements to RAW images and convert RAW to JPEG. Maybe someone with more experience with Raw Therapee would like to jump in?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval