Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Canadian Drone Regulation

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My name is Evan Jones, I am a recreational UAV operator that is interested in getting an advanced operations certificate for commercial operations. I own a Yuneec Q500 quadcopter and am interested in doing real estate photography. Does anyone know if my drone will meet the technical requirements set out by Transport Canada for advanced operations? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan Jones

Transport Canada has a list of UAV's that meet their criteria. None of the Yuneec, DJI, 3D Solo, or any other consumer drones meet their criteria. I think that sucks, they should at least allow the hex copters because they can loose a prop and still fly. With a quad, you loose a prop and you fall.

Choosing the right drone - Transport Canada

Last edited:
Reactions: RPASejones
Transport Canada has a list of UAV's that meet their criteria. None of the Yuneec, DJI, 3D Solo, or any other consumer drones meet their criteria. I think that sucks, they should at least allow the hex copters because they can loose a prop and still fly. With a quad, you loose a prop and you fall.

Choosing the right drone - Transport Canada
Thanks for the reply Chuck!

I am aware of this list. I am also not a fan of the list... I do not think there is one drone on that list that is under $6,000CAN. Manufacturers will have to submit their products to TC to get on that list. I have tried contacting Yuneec as well as DJI to see if they have a plan to get on the list. Customer support did not have a clue from Yuneec.

If there is anyone that is facing similar problems please communicate with me through this thread!

According to their site, advance operations are when you want to operate within 100 feet (linear?) of people not associated with the operation. That is, flying with public.

I don't think commercial real estate would require advanced operation.
I do not know if it counts as within that range if they are inside a building and you're not.

Am I mistaken?

Until June 1, we still have to follow the intermediate rules. Most houses are within 100 ft of each other. What if the kids play in the back yard. Or, until June 1, their dog? Anyone or any animals outside within that range would ground you. Or a jogger on the street? After June 1, we might have clearer rules. For myself, I think I will stick with basic. I am simply a recreational flyer so don't need the advanced. I wouldn't think that people inside would count, but don't quote me on it.

According to their site, advance operations are when you want to operate within 100 feet (linear?) of people not associated with the operation. That is, flying with public.

I don't think commercial real estate would require advanced operation.
I do not know if it counts as within that range if they are inside a building and you're not.

Am I mistaken?
The site also mentions that if I want to fly over bystanders I need an advanced operations certificate. Like John said, hopefully by June 1st we will have more clear rules.

The Advanced pilot certificate is required if:
1) You intend to fly in controlled airspace (a realty shoot could easily be within 3nm of an ATC airport)
2) OR you intend to fly less than 30m but not closer than 5m to individuals not part of the crew or operation,
3) OR you intend to fly closer than 3m to individuals not part of the crew or operation
An SFOC is required if you intend to fly over crowds of people eg. concert, sporting event.
Also, for all "Advanced" operations your aircraft must be on the approved list of compliant aircraft for the specific advanced operation. IE a manufacturer may declare one model safe to fly in controlled airspace (1), but not close to people (2 & 3). Or may declare a model safe for all 3 levels of advanced.
Since the "Standard 922 DRAFT regulations for manufacturers' were just released last week, there may be revisions to it based on feedback, and time before June 1, for companies like Yuneec and DJI to determine if they can meet the requirements. DJI has said they are looking at the regulations and I have been sending government documents to Yuneec as they are released, hoping they get to the right people.

Reactions: RPASejones

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ludwig