Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New FAA Rule for ALL Drones. READ THIS

It starts as $5. In a couple years, it's 10. Couple years after that, it's 15. Then 20. Then 25. And so on. There should have been nationwide noncompliance, but rolling over and letting them get away with this nonsense is just going to encourage them to continue it.

Said dipwads don't care about the registration. It doesn't affect them at all. They're going to continue to break all the rules and regulations no matter how much you pay the FAA to fly yours.

I’m sure that will get covered in time. They will find a way to have the retailers collect it at time of purchase. If you do not have a valid registration, they will have to collect it and register you just like car dealers do for automobiles.

What is disheartening, paying $150.00 to get my 107 certification, and I have yet been challenged when doing business.
If I don't renew this April and get caught, will I only get a slap on the wrist??‍♂️
Food for thought! ???????

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Irish
What is disheartening, paying $150.00 to get my 107 certification, and I have yet been challenged when doing business.
If I don't renew this April and get caught, will I only get a slap on the wrist??‍♂️

The weird thing is the $150 does not go to the FAA, it goes to the testing company. FAA has set a max rate of $150 for that test. The only money FAA gets is the $5/3-years for registration of the aircraft.

But you have a good point. Scofflaws are encouraged by the near zero enforcement by the FAA. If you don't enforce laws people will ignore them. The only enforcement comes if a client asks for it or you are in an accident and the FAA determines you were not licensed. Not unlike a license to drive. Nobody is stopping people looking for the proper license, but get caught doing something and it is another charge added on. Or worse, if you end up in a legal court case not being properly certified nearly guarantees a loss.

Reactions: Mike Irish

The FAA (fortunately) starts with Education and if there are repeat violations (or if the initial violation is intended and warrants more) then enforcement is the next step. I wouldn't be surprised to see some "Examples" made over the next year after the new Hobby rules go into effect. Once no one can claim, "Oh I didn't know that I was doing THAT flight as a hobbyist and didn't know" it's a lot clearer path to enforcement.

Reactions: Phaedrus
This is worth a read.

Commercial Drone Flying Without a Pilot’s License
The civil penalties for flying a commercial rig without first obtaining a remote pilot’s certificate from the FAA are up to $32,666 for each incidence.
This fine is charged per day for continual illegal use of a drone for commercial purposes, after receiving a warning letter from the FAA.
The FAA may also impose criminal sanctions, which include a fine of up to $250,000 and/or a prison sentence of up to three years upon conviction.

Reactions: BigAl07
Conclusion

Because drone flying is fairly new, the FAA currently has a policy of issuing warning letters and making public-education efforts to create more awareness about the rules.

As of March 2019, civil penalties have rarely been imposed and no criminal sanctions have been enforced by the FAA. Less than five cases so far (through February 2019), have been referred to the FAA’s enforcement division regarding violations involving drones.

There is no guarantee this FAA policy of leniency will continue. The potential fines and penalties for flying commercially without a license are substantial.

There is no guarantee this FAA policy of leniency will continue. The potential fines and penalties for flying commercially without a license are substantial.

The new law requires FAA to provide Congress with a summary of enforcement actions. Right now that would be a largely empty sheet of paper. So I suspect that moving forward we can expect some increased interest on the part of the FAA.

In fact, FAA just issued a new directive to FSDO staff that sets standards for documentation of incidents. So it seems like they are ramping up.

I’m sure that will get covered in time. They will find a way to have the retailers collect it at time of purchase. If you do not have a valid registration, they will have to collect it and register you just like car dealers do for automobiles.

That's more like a tax at the time of purchase than a separate license or registration that we have now. It's still annoying, but it would have made more sense.
What we have now really, truly only affects people that were going to abide by all the rules in the first place, and does absolutely zero to improve safety or accountability. It's literally a penalty for being honest and nothing else.

What we have now really, truly only affects people that were going to abide by all the rules in the first place, and does absolutely zero to improve safety or accountability. It's literally a penalty for being honest and nothing else.

I have to disagree with you there. Here in western North Carolina I have personally been involved with registration "benefits" on 2 separate occasions.

1) At a High-school Football game a sUAS was flying over a public parking lot and crashed into a light pole. The DJI Mavic tumbled to the ground in a empty side lot and the owner never came forward. LE collected the aircraft and utilized the FAA Registration # to identify and make contact with the Registered person. Come to find out it was a 15 y/o boy who was flying BLOS and "stated" he did not know he couldn't do that. We had an "educational moment" with him and his father and his aircraft was returned to him. Today he's an active sUAS operator and a HUGE advocate of safe and LEGAL sUAS flight. He's a pubilc ambassador for Safe and Legal sUAS flight to others in our community. I call that a WIN for the "system".

2) Back in November (I think it was that month) a local citizen located a sUAS landed in a public park and the only marking on it was a long cryptic #. Somehow they knew I owned/operated a sUAS business, looked me up, and wanted to know how to get the DJI Inspire 2 (I identified it as that not the lady who found it) back to the rightful owner. I instructed her to drop it off at our Sheriff's Office and I would assist in trying to get it back to the owner. We contacted the FAA, gave them the # and within 30 minutes had the registered person's name and contact information. We called and confirmed that he had indeed lost an Inspire 2 while on vacation here a few days earlier. He made a trip back a week later to pick up his completely undamaged I2 and was thrilled. Again I'l mark that up as a WIN for the system.

You won't hear about events like this on the news because it's not NEWS WORTHY but you can bet things just like this are happening quite often across the nation. None of the POSITIVE actions above could have taken place if it weren't for the FAA's Registration System being in place.

I've had mine labelled on the exterior of my H since the day I first registered.
I haven't had my drone (Typhoon H with IS) in the air since the rules have changed. How did you mark your drone? Stick on letters or what and where did you place the markings?

Don

What’s the minimum font size do you guys have? Mine are small, because my labeler can only print certain sizes.
I purposely use a small font... I don't see any worth to have it be larger, neither is visible from the air and both require ground inspection to obtain number. Regulation on size might be challenging when all sizes are registered... a MA or something smaller doesn't have the surface to attach a large number in comparison to a H520... although I could see a font size based on sUAV's size category eventually.

Last edited:
Reactions: RPR and BigAl07
Evidence indicates that is not a real concern. FAA charges manned aircraft, from a Cessna 150 to an Airbus 380 $5 for 3 years registration, and have for a long time. Wouldn't it seem more reasonable that if the FAA decided to use it as a money maker they might go after the bigger fish first?
Interesting, I assumed the commercial aircraft - airline companies paid hefty fees in some fashion.
I'd agree, I'd think the FAA would attempt to use registration to collect funds... and if so, they'd focus on the larger income source. Doesn't maritime collect fees on ships, which is one reason (other mainly insurance) why Cruise Ship Companies license their ships in other select countries. But I still believe they pay other commercial fees when entering USA harbors... but admittedly, this is all 3rd party grapevine, I'm naive on the maritime subject matter.

With sUAV's basically being a new category that has an extremely high public participation compared to any other aircraft category... I'd gander both in percentage & numbers. With the introduction of the new rules beginning to allow LEO and local St / City Govt to assist; I do see it as "writing on the wall" for local govt to apply their own layer of assessment to collect funds. The FAA may have it's viewpoints not to collect but any other govt entity only see's $$. Could include a State, Local or location (park, etc), commercial layer assessment add-on. I wouldn't dismiss the scenario: FAA Fees, St Fee, City Fee and some type of permit fee to perform commercial ops (roof inspections, realty, etc.).

The FAA may be attempting to rein in control of the sUAV with the focus on safety and management, the local govt and city councils, will see it as an opportunity of funds.

Business is business. All business are taxed to one degree or another, City, State and federal.

I have to disagree with you there. Here in western North Carolina I have personally been involved with registration "benefits" on 2 separate occasions.

2) Back in November (I think it was that month) a local citizen located a sUAS landed in a public park and the only marking on it was a long cryptic #. Somehow they knew I owned/operated a sUAS business, looked me up, and wanted to know how to get the DJI Inspire 2 (I identified it as that not the lady who found it) back to the rightful owner. I instructed her to drop it off at our Sheriff's Office and I would assist in trying to get it back to the owner. We contacted the FAA, gave them the # and within 30 minutes had the registered person's name and contact information. We called and confirmed that he had indeed lost an Inspire 2 while on vacation here a few days earlier. He made a trip back a week later to pick up his completely undamaged I2 and was thrilled. Again I'l mark that up as a WIN for the system.

On the honesty side... that's pretty impressive the guy getting his Inspire 2 back. You consider the platform and the attached camera... quite the package. That's great to hear and impressive!

From a statement by the AMA:

“.....and allowed the registration marking to be placed in an enclosed compartment, law enforcement officials and FAA partners have expressed concerns about the safety risks a concealed explosive device could pose to first responders when opening a compartment to find a registration number.”

Yeah, because bad guys and whack jobs who would place explosives on an sUAS will register and mark their drones. Another law/rule that only affect the Law Abiding Citizen. It’s such a simple concept and foundational to the term “criminal”: Criminals Do Not Obey The Law!
KRAZY,, None of these things have ever happened, KRAZY n PARANOID. The FAA is treating All
American Hobbyists as foreign Terrorists. More people have been injured playing "checkers" or "Dominos". I know ive been injured by my kids "Legos". There still is No confirmed reported case of even 1 serious injury from a multi rotor.
Did anyone see the ABC7 LA news chopper that allegedly had its 1/4 inch aluminum skids gouged and shreded by a small plastic quad? It looked as though someone had taken a very sharp hatchet or axe to it with 3 inch long 1/4 inch wide holes in it. Wow! what a whopper.

Does anybody know the air pressure or wind force made by the Prop-wash of a real
helicopter? Im pretty sure that no Hobby drone could get within 50 ft of the downward force of it. Even as big and powerful as a Typhoon H, It would be blown straight to the ground.

I wonder what ths pilot actually did to cause that damage. When I was a kid I told my mom some truck hit the back of her car and took off. But of course it was me backing into a pole at a gas station. This guy has something to hide so he doesnt lose his license

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval