Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

new firmware solves it - Wrong altitude on Exif Information of my H520E and E90X (with work around by h-elsner!)

I was just getting ready to post a comment about this very same issue before I saw your latest. I was told by Yuneec not to use the firmware on the website. Do you know if they've fixed that problem, or is the only way to get it resolved to send them the drone?
There is a completely new Datapilot app in the Appstore, you can get the right firmware from it. (Autopilot 2.0)

Since the new firmware the problem is gone.
But I myself could not install it, because the USB socket on the drone was defective and I could not update the drone.
That means I recommend you to try to update the drone first, before you update anything on the remote control (except autopilot because you need the new version).

That means you can try the update first and if it doesn't work, either reinstall the old autopilot (if you haven't updated anything on the remote, everything should still work), or contact Yuneec support and explain the problem.

I was just getting ready to post a comment about this very same issue before I saw your latest. I was told by Yuneec not to use the firmware on the website. Do you know if they've fixed that problem, or is the only way to get it resolved to send them the drone?

I was able to update the H520E successfully, but only after a little trial and error...thought I'd post some notes about my experience. I updated DataPilot to 2.0, but had to do it through the Play store, not from the current version installed on the ST16S. Still trying to figure out how to make it the default DataPilot version that launches when you boot the transceiver, but that's a minor thing. Once I started the current version manually, I checked for new updates. v2.0 allows you to check for updates and choose which ones to install and in any order you want. It also allows you to check for updates with the drone turned off, so you can do the transceiver first. Because the USB cable supplied with the device is so short, I get some serious interference between the drone OFDM and my internal network's WiFi signals when the cable is connected, so that's why I chose to do the first part with the drone turned off and USB cable disconnected. It's nice that they allow you to do it that way now . I guess I could have used a longer cable, but it turns out that this method made me update the ST16S fully before the drone was updated.

First, I updated the Android OS and rebooted, then the RC Driver and another reboot. Finally, AutoPilot and a third reboot. Next, I turned the drone on and, because of the interference between wireless signals, I turned on my phone's hotspot, set it down next to the transceiver, and connected to it. That solved the interference problem. Then, I turned on the drone and downloaded the remaining updates before installing them. Finally, I connected the USB cable from the transceiver to the back of the drone (the OFDM port) and installed the updates. The DataPilot software loses its connection during the OFDM link updates, so don't worry when it does that, and I had to reboot both devices a couple of times and re-initiate the downloads between installs for them to take. Like I said, a bit of trial and error, but got there eventually. If you have any issues, please feel free to message me.

when updating the h520e is it best to do the ofdm parts as the final step. and on the ofdm rc first then drone or drone first followed by the rc?

Reactions: Eggman
I was flying without a seatbelt, but I updated the drone ofdm first followed by the rc, and I did both of those before I updated the other hardware. It worked out fine that way for me, but I make no promises. If it fails, you should be ok to disconnect the cable, reboot and try again. That was my experience. No bricks were laid.

Last edited:
Not sure what the white box error is, but no USB errors in general. My biggest issue was solving the wireless interference issue and knowing when to leave the drone off/disconnected.

TBH, this is a work vehicle and I have to drive several miles to leave protected air space, so I haven't flown it yet. Given it was Friday and I would rather be home than at work, I decided to wait and fly it on Monday. However, everything else worked. I was able to calibrate the compass, accelerometer, and gimbal, and the gps, photo, and video capture also worked. I don't think a re-bind will be necessary, but I will report back on the performance Monday after I fly it. I will also check the before and after EXIF data.

Last edited:
Not trying to be pedantic, but make sure you're visiting the Play store from the ST16.
Is PlayStore even operational on the ST16e? It was never usable on any previous STxx controllers.

yes play store is functional in st16e. was able to install datapilot 2.0. however the end result is the same as last attempt. white box usb. constant disconnects and reconnects with ofdm. rebind failures. got a replacement controller after unfortunate accident from not watching were I laid the controller down at. This time I made sure the controller was put back in to it's packaging. I also logged error messages from the controller in three text files.

okay just tore down the broken st16e controller I am able to save quite a few parts from it. The part I really wanted was the ofdm module. I disassembled it and compared the boards to the ofdm boards on the h520e. only one board was possible for swap over had the same connectors same places. same labeling. So I swapped them out reassembled 520 ofdm. results were not as I expected got to white led link lights lit in the back but the blue led was flashing red and blue and the ofdm bind button was not working. so I swapped the parts back over to were they came from and h520e ofdm was blinking clear blue and the bind button came back to life. So the update partial bricked the board that as the antenna connection. which is in the controller. now got two parts to be replaced both ofdm modules. one with bad usb. the other st116e ofdm wifi board that went bad. Found what may be a coin battery in the middle of the bottom of the st16e

That kinda sucks. Were you able to flash the firmware in either or both before you swapped them? Have you tried since then? I haven't disassembled either device, but I'm assuming the watch battery is there for permanent firmware memory, date/time, etc. Did you see an empty slot on the ofdm boards or somewhere else in the ST16E?

recent firmware flash ended same as the last. no empty slot on either mainboards of the ofdm module. the secondary boards are different though. just one board and one cable needed to enable the rtk. that is one the airframe part clearly labeled. and smaller than the secondary board that is on the st16e.

eggman how where your test flights on the new firmware you did. have you tried the new telemetry function on data pilot 2.0?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval