Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New GPS TOWER keeping the H cool .

Hi All,
This is the link and hopefully it works and if it does you can thank my mate Bob for patiently guiding me through this and also Eagles Eye for the cheat sheet. The video will create more questions than answers, so don't be afraid to ask. If I can answer them I will if not there will more than likely be some one on here to give you the answer or send you in the right direction. Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
Johnno, very nice! You're on great direction! ;)

Johnno,

Regarding the post mentioning antennas and regulations, where U.S. is concerned he is correct. Once licensed by the FCC no changes to the system that deviates from the submitted design are permitted by the general public. Only those possessing a HAM radio license are legally permitted to make alterations with any alterations remaining in compliance with a bunch of other regulations that govern technician and higher level activities. Pretty much anything that alters RF power and RF radiation range is tightly controlled.

Our FCC regs are commonly violated by people involved in RC activity, with a large percentage of the violators involved with multirotor stuff looking for longer range through more powerful transmitters and antennas. Lacking a HAM radio license, anything they use is supposed to have been granted FCC certification, something most don’t have.

This is an area where for most ignorance is bliss as our FCC laws are not well enforced so people get away with it. Unless people in an area start complaining about interference suddenly showing up at their TV’s, radios, or phones the stuff goes unnoticed. Events occurring that induce a court case, personal injury, property damage, or a significant airspace violation for example, we can be assured the plaintiff’s legal investigative team would look for any violation that would bolster their evidence against the defendant. Should they find non compliant radio frequency transmission components a win would almost automatically go to the plaintiff as the aircraft should not have been in operation. The flight would have been illegal from the moment the system was powered on.

The rules regulating what we do are extremely complex and few understand all of them. I know I don’t. Something that adds to issues of compliance is that we can buy stuff from overseas that is totally non compliant, from manufacturers that don’t care about our regulations. We can buy 500-1000mW or higher video transmitters for just about any frequency band, which is blatantly illegal for anyone without a HAM license. Overseas manufacturers only care about selling their products and don’t care at all if the end use is legal, or not. They got what they wanted; money, and only rarely will they be prosecuted for it. I’m aware of only two that have, with one of them selling frequency jammers over here. Hobbyking got nailed for non compliant frequency transmission equipment. Technically, their products are supposed to be certified before they are imported to the U.S. but they usually are not. But who’s checking?

For most it’s not a big deal as they don’t put themselves in situations where problems might occur. Those participating in higher risk activities that would generate a lot of visibility should something happen might consider assuring their radio equipment remained in its certified state. Those operating professionally are in an even more tenuous position as their professional certification declares they are cognizant of all the regulations involving their activities. It’s all good...until we get caught.

The EMI and cooling stuff you are working on should not fall within the RF regulatory environment as neither activity propagates RF transmission. The GPS elevation/cooling tower does not alter signal strength.
PatR, not to detour from Johnno's great work & project.
If lengthy, a new thread can be started for FCC Antennas. Quick question on the FCC, the various segments you site on FCC and Antennas; is that toward the manufacture, the consumer whom installs, or the home-brew fabricator? I can understand the foreign manufactures you site over stepping FCC certification; but there are several USA companies making antenna & transmission hardware, obtaining FCC approval /cert, and installing or selling for use on RC devices well within the bounds of the FCC. The use of SAR teams using Ground Stations, many make amplified antenna transmission, several vertical markets of private sector & govt using: Security outfits, SAR, High Voltage Inspection companies and Cinema teams using amplified transmission and/or antennas.

From my understanding, if the 3rd party device has FCC approval and is within FCC transmission limitations it's legal to "install" onto devices that the hardware was designed to modify regardless of the device's original FCC specifications... such as RC flight control radios.

Hi All,
Just a short follow up now that I am back in the land of everyday work. First everything is still moving along and I expect my electronics man to call and say that all the extention cables for the H plus and 520 are finished and tested and ready to pickup. Next I did a short test with the fan and TOWER this evening after work and used a 500 mah 3.7 v charged lipo to 4.11 volts and Connected it for two ( 2 ) hours and took it off and it was down to 3.78 volts and still going strong. The fan I have now shifts 1.5 to 1.9 cfm of HOT AIR OUT OF THE H and the internals with such a small battery. I am now going g to do some heat tests as the temps over here are 30°C plus for the next week or so. I should be able to get you some figures by the end of the week, hopefully.
I have also got on to some paint for the top shells of the H and if you don't like it you can just peel it off, and there are heaps of colours available, young car enthusiasts are useing on there mag wheels and bonnet vents etc. It is Dupli▪Color custom wrap removable coating.
But now with the fan in the TOWER Colours may not be so critical as before relying on convection draw. I will try and send some pictures of the spray and a top shell with a coat on it. That's all at the present but am pushing forward with everything and some other ideas out of CES 2019 with the RTK on the 520 it definitely will need my TOWER to keep it cool and working efficiently.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Hi All Members
I have also posted this on the thread of 'Relocation of the GPS and COMPASS MODULE' which incorporates the TOWER .Not only does the TOWER get the Module out into clean space and away from ELECTRICAL INTERFERENCE but also helps ventilate the insides of the H under the top shell.
The photos below will show a test that I did tonight with heat generated by the GPS and COMPASS MODULE and also heat that is generated by the ELECTRONICS of the control board and MAIN BOARD. This test was very basic but has set me on a path to find out how much Static heat is generated by the electronics by just having it sit there turned and not even idling or starting the motors.
Ambient temperature was 24.8 °C, module 24.7 °C, inside the shell 24.6 °C .
The end result is amazing considering not one of these components were fixed back in place as in a complete H that is ready to fly, just guessing that it would be alot higher.
Keep tuned as I will be posting a video of this test and others either on this thread or the one up on the first line. So here goes, I am still not on my computers or videos, xmas card list.
Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Attachments

• 20190327_183353.jpg
    20190327_183353.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190327_183129.jpg
    20190327_183129.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190327_182957.jpg
    20190327_182957.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190327_182921.jpg
    20190327_182921.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 20190327_180918.jpg
    20190327_180918.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 17
It appears you have created a home grown course in engineering with a focus on problem resolution. Well done[emoji106]

If you have not already discovered it, the effects of excess heat are accumulative, causing component failures over time after repeated exposures.

Reactions: John Hennessy
Hi All,
I have just posted a big piece on the heat involved with our H's on the moving the GPS and Compass Module, It has a lot of explanations and this is a video for you to watch about HEAT. There is something coming up for you AH-1G also.

Thanks, FENWICK,
Have you looked at the thread of Moving the GPS and COMPASS MODULE as that has all the notes and results of the tests? It is long but worth the read.
Thanks, Heaps
Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the GRASS.

Reactions: Fenwick
AH-1G,
Yes, it can be shorter, I am looking at bringing it down 15 mm. The first few that I made were shorter but did not work as well, i printed many with differing heights by 5 mm ( or 1/4 inch) and used them as a tuning system for best all-around results ( over many months ) and have arrived at this approx ht. the lower you go I think gets interference from the CARBON FIBER impregnated in our standard props.
Props are made of carbon fiber? Are you sure?

Props are made of carbon fiber? Are you sure?
Hi Moodman,
Yes, they are a carbon fibre impregnated moulded plastic, I have been told by Esteves the person in charge of the first design and build of the Typhoon H 480. It is only about 20% to 30% but you can tell when you burn them compared to standard plastics like ABS, PETG or the cheap eBay ones that flex like a piece of paper and they were designed to break near the hub so as not to overload the motors if they became a problem they would snap, which they do. That was to stop putting too much torque back on the motor and wrecking them. Johnno Hennessy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Digitix