Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

new peau 8.25 lens received

Reaction score
I have received my brand new peau 8.25 fl (2x zoom) lens. Mounted in place of my refocused yuneec lens, the results are quite good. I have a drag issue on the gimbal and it skips while flying, reassembled it appears to be fixed.
The focal distance for focus (new mount) is 14.25 feet.
I'll retake some short video tomorrow. Takes long time on my slow expensive broadband to upload. I'm almost out of usage with 3 weeks to go!!!!.
I would go for it if you want the 2x zoom and the excellent focus. Really shows up on my vertical runway (straight up though the trees), Everything is closer!!!
Regards Dick

Reactions: zandoli
Interesting, what is causing the "jerkyness"? Is it a form of "jello"? I'm wondering just like any "zoomed in" through a lens, like a standard camera telephoto lens, amplifies any movement and why large or longer telephoto shots are done on a tripod for example.

Don't think I would be to happy with all that jello\jerking around.

Interesting, what is causing the "jerkyness"? Is it a form of "jello"? I'm wondering just like any "zoomed in" through a lens, like a standard camera telephoto lens, amplifies any movement and why large or longer telephoto shots are done on a tripod for example.
I would expect that a longer focal length might amplify movement. Another possibility is that the lens is heavier and/or mounts farther away from the center of mass of the gimbal and camera. You might neen to add some weight to the back of the camera to balance it.

Reactions: QuadBart
the weight coupled with a dragging of the camera shell caused the jerkyness. Will update today with new vids and pix comparing the refocused yuneec lens and the new peau 2x.
I removed the old mount because it was a 13mm smooth bore!. The old mount was easy to remove (screws too), by scratching off the epoxy bond.
I ordered the new mount a month ago and then altered the 12.25mm thread on the yuneec lens to fit the 12mm thread.
I was able to then focus the yuneec lens at about 6 feet and the overall performance was excellent, not unlike the original 4k lens on my typhoon 500 4k. Please ensure the sensor is blown to remove dust prior to mounting the lens.I used the small rubber ring to mount the lens ans glued the rubber ring to the mount and the lens barrel.
I replaced the old lens with the new and focused at 14.25 feet.
I missed the cover boss and caused the drag on the gimbal and subsequent jerky movment. If you stop the video through the run ov the video, you can see the good focus and the larger zoom effect.. I will post comparitive pix of same locations between the two lenses.. My flight runway is the small circle that is about 100 feet high to get through the tree cover. Overall it is not a trivial job, you must be careful and clean.

drag on reassembled camera housing. fixed now.

snapshot is from the video before lens changeover.
yun00067 is with the 2x lens. This gives you a comparison of optical changes.. I may still adjust focus a little. I may have missed the 14.25 feet requirement by a foot or two. Some edge fuzziness not sure entirely what that is. crop may remove that as it is a 4k file??

Attachments

• snapshot_001.jpg
    snapshot_001.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 96
  • YUN00067.jpg
    YUN00067.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 99
Reactions: Haydn
just for reference, both pictures were taken at 150 feet high in same vertical position of my property, so the view of the house is based on the lens difference.
Traveled up from same start position to 150 feet and video or picture was taken in 4k.
Yun00067 was video, with the still jpeg from the video.

Reactions: Haydn and DkDrone
Richard,

How exactly did you get that jello reduced? what do you mean by drag on housing?

Also, I think especially with this lens it would be beneficial to slow the pitch of the camera down a bit as the original is tuned way too fast I think for smooth shots. i don't have an st16 in front of me but if anyone needs to know how to do that I'll post it up when I get to the office.

Richard,

How exactly did you get that jello reduced? what do you mean by drag on housing?

Also, I think especially with this lens it would be beneficial to slow the pitch of the camera down a bit as the original is tuned way too fast I think for smooth shots. i don't have an st16 in front of me but if anyone needs to know how to do that I'll post it up when I get to the office.

Yes, please post that at your convenience... Thank you!

Having a spare CGO-3+ camera and gimbal, the addition of the Peau lens looks like something I should do with one of them.

Yes, please post that at your convenience... Thank you!

To slow pitch:
1. channel settings
2. Click A03
3. Click K2 (should be highlighted) + Edit
4. Adjust Speed (i set mine at 7s)
5. Save

Here's a quick video I shot as well showing how to do it:

Thank you! I have done some minor tweaking... tomorrow, I'll be able to see how the changes affect my flight.
Still new at this, so anything that can help me be steadier will be a benefit. I have already seen that too much
yaw speed will ruin video, so I'm trying to get a better handle on simultaneous pan and yaw. (...among other
things, like not running my battery down too far, not crashing, remembering to start video recording... :( )

Thank you! I have done some minor tweaking... tomorrow, I'll be able to see how the changes affect my flight.
Still new at this, so anything that can help me be steadier will be a benefit. I have already seen that too much
yaw speed will ruin video, so I'm trying to get a better handle on simultaneous pan and yaw. (...among other
things, like not running my battery down too far, not crashing, remembering to start video recording... :( )
Instead of yawing the aircraft, set the gimbal pan switch to global and use the knob to set a slow gimbal pan. Don't forget to raise the landing gears.

Last edited:
Don't forget to raise the landing gears.

Done that too! Better at catching it now, as I make it a point to raise gear when doing my preliminary hover check at about 15 feet off the ground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval