Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Peau 3.97 lens install.

Jcomm,

Over in the Off Topic forum there’s a thread named So You Want a Commercial Drone. A video was posted that contains some lens flare imagery you may be interested in seeing. In the video a Mavic and a Red camera is used with both shooting into the sun. The Mavic generated a blue flare in one of the scenes but the Red also generated lens flare.

It’s a really good video for illustrating/demonstrating lens flare.

Getting rid of lens flare is very simple, just don’t shoot into the sun. Most photographers understand that. Many also understand that lenses can have multiple layers of chemical coatings that will affect the appearance of a flare. You can be using Zeiss glass, but shooting directly into the sun can generate flare even with that. It happens with the best rifle scopes too, which is why they make barrel extensions.

If you just have to shoot into the sun, invest in and learn to use filters.

The deep purple flare and temperature offset look particularily unnatural. I've never had a rifle scope do anything even near that, especially the Nightforce ones I've had the pleasure of trying lately...even the much cheaper Osprey scopes don't do that. I'm having to do a lot of work in post to even make a video, taken in lower light look, somewhat natural.

The best camera lenses have multiple lenses in the design. Unfortunately they typically cost more than our drones
.View attachment 14085
I think you mean elements.There are very good performing 50mm from Nikon and Canon etc which are great value for money and superior to any consumer drone as you say,

Hi all, here's a question. Has any one who has done the lens upgrade then tried to use the double lay panoramic photo option and then created the aerial 360 images. Do you still get enough overlap?
Cheers

Chris

Reactions: robport
Well this post has certainly taken all kinds of twists and turns. Here is a sample I shot yesterday with sunny skies and a bit of haze. If you don't like this you don't like Ice Cream... lol You can check the settings I used on the description of the video. I think I'll keep my other H480 stock as it looks pretty good as is. You might want to click through to Youtube and watch at 1080p30.

Nice to see you didn’t color grade it. Also nice was no obvious distortion at the edges during movement as items with straight lines moved onto the edges. There is a very slight horizon arc but that’s to be expected with wide angle lenses.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Jcomm,

Over in the Off Topic forum there’s a thread named So You Want a Commercial Drone. A video was posted that contains some lens flare imagery you may be interested in seeing. In the video a Mavic and a Red camera is used with both shooting into the sun. The Mavic generated a blue flare in one of the scenes but the Red also generated lens flare.

It’s a really good video for illustrating/demonstrating lens flare.
@PatR I shoot a couple of 4K cameras one a Sony and another Lumix G4. ( and about 20 others during my career) All cameras will produce lens flare due to proximity to the sun / light source. The sun is your back light however the flare can be used to add cinematic elements when used properly. I have had scenes that had no flare and have added them in post! lol

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
@PatR I shoot a couple of 4K cameras one a Sony and another Lumix G4. ( and about 20 others during my career) All cameras will produce lens flare due to proximity to the sun / light source. The sun is your back light however the flare can be used to add cinematic elements when used properly. I have had scenes that had no flare and have added them in post! lol
Flare has been used in many western films to add suspense, the bad meeting the good before a gunfight in the swelting sun.

I’m with you all the way. I think I mistook you for another guy complaining about a colored lens flare when shooting into the sun.

As we both know there aren’t many lenses that won’t flare with some angles into the sun. The trick is recognizing that it can and will happen, and how to make effective use of flare to enhance the image when it can occur.

I’m with you all the way. I think I mistook you for another guy complaining about a colored lens flare when shooting into the sun.

As we both know there aren’t many lenses that won’t flare with some angles into the sun. The trick is recognizing that it can and will happen, and how to make effective use of flare to enhance the image when it can occur.
I'm that guy and the complaint isn't that there is lens flare, but the deep unnatural color of it

After my unsatisfying experience with the PixAero 6mm lens conversion, I reinstalled the stock lens back into my oldest CGO3+. After seeing these impressive images with the Peau 3.97mm lens, I might give that a try. I like the closer view, flat horizon, negligible lens distortion, uniformity of image brightness and focus from corner to corner and good color rendition. Is the best place to buy the lens directly from Peau?

Reactions: jcommstudios
After my unsatisfying experience with the PixAero 6mm lens conversion, I reinstalled the stock lens back into my oldest CGO3+. After seeing these impressive images with the Peau 3.97mm lens, I might give that a try. I like the closer view, flat horizon, negligible lens distortion, uniformity of image brightness and focus from corner to corner and good color rendition. Is the best place to buy the lens directly from Peau?
@Rubik Yes I bought them direct from Peau. They are located in San Diego so you should receive them pretty quickly being on the West Coast.

Reactions: Rubik
I was just wondering what the issues with the 6mm lens?

I was just wondering what the issues with the 6mm lens?
First, I was disappointed in the variation in focus across the image. I struggled with the smallest adjustments, taking a 4000x3000 photo at each adjustment and keeping track with marks on the lens barrel and housing so that I could return to that setting after viewing the image on my 4k monitor. I finally had to settle for having the center in focus and edges not so much.

Second, the most noticeable thing was the variation in brightness from center to edge. I could fix some of that in post with vignette correction but not all. These issues were not awful but I really noticed them and that was what mattered to me.

Third, since the lens magnified the scene, any slight jitter or wiggle in the drone or gimbal was much more noticeable.

On the flip side, I liked the image magnification available compared to the stock lens.

Here's a sample of my experience with the lens (after post production attempts to correct issues):

Here's a screen grab of a 4k scene from the unedited video:
Image1.jpgImage1.jpg

Reactions: cbphoto2006
First, I was disappointed in the variation in focus across the image. I struggled with the smallest adjustments, taking a 4000x3000 photo at each adjustment and keeping track with marks on the lens barrel and housing so that I could return to that setting after viewing the image on my 4k monitor. I finally had to settle for having the center in focus and edges not so much.

Second, the most noticeable thing was the variation in brightness from center to edge. I could fix some of that in post with vignette correction but not all. These issues were not awful but I really noticed them and that was what mattered to me.

Third, since the lens magnified the scene, any slight jitter or wiggle in the drone or gimbal was much more noticeable.

On the flip side, I liked the image magnification available compared to the stock lens.

Here's a sample of my experience with the lens (after post production attempts to correct issues):

Here's a screen grab of a 4k scene from the unedited video:
View attachment 14245View attachment 14245
@Rubik I can see that the lens is soft on the left side. I chose the Peau 3.97 and was considering the 8.25. After researching it (8.25) everything I read stated that the increased zoom made it necessary to stabilize the running video. Did not want to do that! The 3.97 has a bit of zoom but not enough to amplify the movement of the H. The gimbal seems to do a good job and the color profile of the CGO3+ matches the lens perfectly. Locking white balance and setting EV is different but after doing it a few times it is a cakewalk!

I made a mistake. I bought one of these lenses and tried to install it. The camera I had apparently had a mount with no threads for the lens. The lens came off easily, looking like it had been glued on. I tried to re-glue it, got a good mating surface, but now the camera is completely unfocused.

Apparently, some of the Yuneec camera mounts are not threaded. I went back to the Peau page and they said I needed to buy another mount...so I am holding my breath until it gets here, hoping that I don't now just have a crappy expensive and very large paperweight. More later, hopefully......

I made a mistake. I bought one of these lenses and tried to install it. The camera I had apparently had a mount with no threads for the lens. The lens came off easily, looking like it had been glued on. I tried to re-glue it, got a good mating surface, but now the camera is completely unfocused.

Apparently, some of the Yuneec camera mounts are not threaded. I went back to the Peau page and they said I needed to buy another mount...so I am holding my breath until it gets here, hoping that I don't now just have a crappy expensive and very large paperweight. More later, hopefully......
I had to buy a Peau mount for my PixAero lens swap.
Is your lens mount glued down to the circuit board? If so, you may as well get started removing it. Be EXTREMELY careful about damaging the circuit board. Some of the trace circuits are right at/near the surface. Some people have reported that alcohol will soften the adhesive. Of course, the surface for mounting the new lens mount must be perfectly flat if you want a good result with uniform focus. Also, make sure the sensor surface and lens are spotlessly clean when reassembling.
Keep us posted.

@ robport both of the H's we converted needed the lens mount. Some do... some don't. There are videos on how to do the install properly on YouTube. You need to focus the camera manually. Good luck and stick with it you will get it! Regards, Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DHYradio