Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New to Drones and seeking best way forward

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the drone pilot world having been doing quite a bit of reading and research before committing. But now I have I'd like to get some real life advice on the best way forward. Found this forum and signed up thinking it's a solid move to learn and get its and advice, but some steers would be great. Looking forward to getting involved

Put away the booklets that came with your Typhoon H. Go immediately to Yuneec's website and download the ONLINE version of the Typhoon manual. You NEED to read it, if not print it out and save it, cover to cover. At the very least, keep the download readily available on your computer. Most of the answers you will seek are there.

Watch EVERY YouTube video on the Typhoon H you can land your eyes on before you even power it up, from unboxing it to using its more advanced features. Search out specific questions you have using this Forum's post- search function for detailed answers to everything you will face. (It's the small magnifying glass at the upper right hand of the Forum page. Type your question and up pops your answers.)

Turn to people here on this Forum for specific questions you cannot find an answer to. They will ALWAYS help you.

Be patient, always follow ALL FAA regs, be smart, and go slow learning. You WILL crash or lose your Typhoon H if you try rushing your learning about it, I'd guarantee it. Roughly at least 90% of all crashes and accidents are pilot errors.So, reduce your errors and you reduce your chances of running into one of them.

Good luck, safe flying, and take it slow and easy. Always ask for help, after you've looked for the answer yourself, the best way to learn. Best to you, buddy, and welcome aboard!

Reactions: Ronzo
Get yourself a cheap toy drone and learn not to crash it. When you think you can fly it, get a better one ($200.00 or so) when you get proficient with that one, then you should think about something like the Typhoon H. The H is not a toy, if you do not understand it and have some flying experience you are going to have a bad day.

Very kind of you to take the time for lengthy reply. Thank you for the welcome. Pdf download done

My pleasure. Each of us started exactly where you are. Just remember that when the time comes - a little bit down the road from where you are now - just be happy to give the next guy or girl a hand, too, my friend. That's what we human beings are supposed to do for one another, right?

Read that PDF closely and well. LOTS of good information in there. Don't hesitate to ask whenever you need a hand!

A cheap toy drone is definitely a good idea. The best cheap drone IMHO which makes for a great learner is the Syma X5C. It's only around $30, very light, stable and you can play around with orientation and not get into much trouble. It's pretty indestructible as well as being repairable.

Start by hovering nose out to get a handle of coordinating pitch, yaw, and roll, then progress to simple flying. Once you're comfortable try nose in, when pitch, yaw, and roll are reversed. Eventually your brain will sort out the change almost as if by instinct. At some point during flight you will experience 'dumb thumbs'. It's sort of a squirrel in headlights experience which will more than likely end in a crash. Just keep practicing, pretty soon you won't be as conscious of what your doing, it will just seem natural. At that point, go to the expensive drone and practice with that, minus the crashing part.

Reactions: NorWiscPilot
Welcome. You have ordered a Breeze I believe.
Hi yes. From the reading I've done it all pointed towards getting some experience before getting the more expensive and more functional drones. I also thought I'd make sure it was something I would want to do before shelling out a lot of money. So I'm hoping the breeze as an introduction will help me get the buzz, so to speak.

Lol
Daggone it! I always assume "Typhoon H" whenever I see a post in this forum!

Well, Ronzo, if I was mistaken that you have a Typhoon H, my message still holds true, just substitute Yuneec models!
Lol. Your comments are appreciated and as a beginner I've taken the more cautious steps into the drone brotherhood.

Reactions: CC Rider
Welcome to the family!

As many here have said in other threads, make sure you learn to fly in "Angle" mode. Don't rely on "Smart" mode flying. It is completely different than "Angle" mode.

In Angle mode, the controls operate as though you are inside the drone as a pilot. That means, if the drone is pointed towards you, moving the sticks to the right will cause the drone to rotate or slew to it's right, which is YOUR left. Pushing the right stick away from you will cause the drone to fly forwards, TOWARDS you.

In smart mode, the drone controls behave relative to the pilot on the ground. Sticks to the right cause rotation or slewing to YOUR right. Moving the right stick away from you causes the drone to move away from you. While that sounds great on the surface, with Smart mode, you never learn how to really FLY the drone.

The toy drones that I have flown only use Angle mode. I'm not sure if the Breeze has Smart and Angle modes. Learning to fly in Angle mode is important for maintaining control in all situations. I recommend that you first learn to fly with a cheap "toy" drone like the Blade Nano.

Hi Rubik. Many thanks for your time and advice. I'm still waiting on delivery and to my knowledge although the breeze is set up as a selfie drone, you can reverse the controls in pilot mode to respond as per facing forward. Looking forward to many hours of learning lol

Hi Rubik. Many thanks for your time and advice. I'm still waiting on delivery and to my knowledge although the breeze is set up as a selfie drone, you can reverse the controls in pilot mode to respond as per facing forward. Looking forward to many hours of learning lol

Hey Ronzo
I started with a UDI 818A Amazon $45.00. On kitchen floor barely off the ground kind of dragging it around to get used to the controls.....then a little higher....and a little higher...then circles....then figure 8s. Flys slow and stable.Rubbery plastic propeller guards. Not too small....not to large. After you get more confident you can remove the guards and cover(all one piece) and camera and the little bugger flies very fast(outside now) and is more challenging. Battery also lasts longer. Don't fly with noticeable wind(tree tops swaying) as with any small drone. You will be hooked forever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wccannabis