Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

NEW UPDATE - STALLED! Drone updated but won't read card to update ST16

As I understand it, the St16 prefers 32GB or less and it must be the correct format. The original card that came with the H is best to use for this. According to the video, you should update the ST16 and then the H and camera.

Go back to page 1 of this thread and read posts 10 and 11. BTW, the original card's capacity is 16g.

Why would you do that? get a 64 gig and use it in the camera and when you need one in the st16 use the one that came with it. The st16 does not need high speed cards, to my knowledge anyway

The ST-16 only saves the previous few videos and stills. Videos are stored in 720p so there's no benefit in using a high speed card in the ST-16 for pretty much anything. Telemetry is stored directly to the ST-16, never to a card, and has to be later transferred to a card.

I do not think you can format the card in the camera -- I format them in the st16 and they work fine for me..

Went out bought a SD 32gb U3 class 10 -- ARRRGH! STILL DOES NOT FIND THE UPDATE!!

So to correct a previous post --after talking with YUNEEC tech support directly the ST16 controller WILL NOT UPDATE USING ANYTHING BUT A 16 GB (32 GB WILL NOT WORK!)

Also If the ST16 is not recognizing a card for an update then it's not going to recognize it to format it either.

RESOLUTION:!
Anyways for the people that find this thread after -- You can update the ST16 directly via PC by plugging the ST16 into the PC. Once plugged in you open the ST16 directory and slide the firmware update into the ST16 ROOT (not into any folder). Open 'System Settings' on the ST26 and select 'About Controller' and tap 'Update' under ST16.

Went out bought a SD 32gb U3 class 10 -- ARRRGH! STILL DOES NOT FIND THE UPDATE!!

So to correct a previous post --after talking with YUNEEC tech support directly the ST16 controller WILL NOT UPDATE USING ANYTHING BUT A 16 GB (32 GB WILL NOT WORK!)

Also If the ST16 is not recognizing a card for an update then it's not going to recognize it to format it either.

RESOLUTION:!
Anyways for the people that find this thread after -- You can update the ST16 directly via PC by plugging the ST16 into the PC. Once plugged in you open the ST16 directory and slide the firmware update into the ST16 ROOT (not into any folder). Open 'System Settings' on the ST26 and select 'About Controller' and tap 'Update' under ST16.

Well I hate to be "that guy" But I have a sandisk 32gb in the st 16 and a sandisk 64 in the H - No update issues-- But its an easy fix for sure if it works with their card use it :)

You will have Over the Air updating once you get this one done! :)

Well I hate to be "that guy" But I have a sandisk 32gb in the st 16 and a sandisk 64 in the H - No update issues-- But its an easy fix for sure if it works with their card use it :)

You will have Over the Air updating once you get this one done! :)

I got the information about "ONLY 16gb" directly from the Yuneec tech support 30 min. ago who adamantly said "only a 16 GB will work." When I told HIM that I was told by their own tech support in a previous call that 32 gb would work --he went so far as stating he would send out a company wide bulletion to the entire TS crew to STOP telling people a 32gb would work! So there you have it --I'm only repeating what i was told.

Last edited:
I have only ever formatted the card in my PC. So I can't even find how to format in the camera either... sorry. This is all very new to me.
Marco... No worries. You can format the card in the camera via the st-16. It is an option from the circular symbol on the main screen... Lower right hand side. Sorry I did not reply sooner, had to take the xyl out for dinner!

Before you format a card, save the last picture or video you shot to your computer. After formatting the card put it back in the camera and boot up the system. When the system boots up it creates a new media folder. Shut down the system and pull the card and install the last file you shot into the DCIM folder. Alternately, take one snapshot with the newly formatted card and rename that file to be sequenced numerically with your last shot prior to formatting. Failing to do that starts your video/picture file sequence over from YUN00000.

I got the information about "ONLY 16gb" directly from the Yuneec tech support 30 min. ago who adamantly said "only a 16 GB will work." When I told HIM that I was told by their own tech support in a previous call that 32 gb would work --he went so far as stating he would send out a company wide bulletion to the entire TS crew to STOP telling people a 32gb would work! So there you have it --I'm only repeating what i was told.

I personally have used two different 32GB cards in my ST-16, one is in it now, and I just copied and pasted a telemetry file to it and transferred to my computer. If 16's are all that works for you, by all means stay with them.

I'm sure you keep records of who you talk to and when. Please send me the Yuneec Tech's name in a Conversation.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
I had the same problem where the ST16 could not find the update.

I had to go to:
Pad
Settings
Storage

There you have to select "Mount"
Sometimes the Android software requires you to manually mount the SD card, especially if it is a new card.

Reactions: Brian Mackey
The SD card can be formatted in the camera. It's in the tools menu. The camera needs to be connected to the 16. Press the gear icon in lower right corner. That brings up the camer menu. Scroll down to Format SD Card. It's important to note that when putting firmware onto cards, there can only be the update package and no other folders or anything the camera creates once any record button is hit. The controller firmware updated won't see the package to unzip if there are any other folders or packages on the card. I do them one at a time. I put the 16 update on the card then into the controller and let it update. Then I pull the card, clear it out, copy over the camera updates and proceed.
With the ST update it now can query their server through the camera connection over your wifi. My H did not see the camera update at first on the card and prompted me to choose my network and proceed. In the middle of the update, everything timed out and my H went itnto a frozen state where nothing worked - not even the power switch.
I called Yuneec and they sent me a firmware file that would put its brain back in. I had to use the GUI and USB direct to H to fix. I reloaded the camera from the SD card after that and all seems well but today my gimbal is not straight and has been not calibrating to face forward properly. I'll see what happens soon but could be on the phone again Monday.
On the bright side... I've made new friends at Yuneec.

The SD card can be formatted in the camera. It's in the tools menu. The camera needs to be connected to the 16. Press the gear icon in lower right corner. That brings up the camer menu. Scroll down to Format SD Card. It's important to note that when putting firmware onto cards, there can only be the update package and no other folders or anything the camera creates once any record button is hit. The controller firmware updated won't see the package to unzip if there are any other folders or packages on the card. I do them one at a time. I put the 16 update on the card then into the controller and let it update. Then I pull the card, clear it out, copy over the camera updates and proceed.
With the ST update it now can query their server through the camera connection over your wifi. My H did not see the camera update at first on the card and prompted me to choose my network and proceed. In the middle of the update, everything timed out and my H went itnto a frozen state where nothing worked - not even the power switch.
I called Yuneec and they sent me a firmware file that would put its brain back in. I had to use the GUI and USB direct to H to fix. I reloaded the camera from the SD card after that and all seems well but today my gimbal is not straight and has been not calibrating to face forward properly. I'll see what happens soon but could be on the phone again Monday.
On the bright side... I've made new friends at Yuneec.

try calibrating it with the Pan Mode stick full up on F mine some times hangs to the left after calibration but then turning off the H and turning it back on it lines up where its supposed to be.. :) Hope it helps

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval