Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

NEW UPDATE - STALLED! Drone updated but won't read card to update ST16

As mentioned the drone updated fine using a 64gb micro card -the ST16 controller refuses to recognize the same card to update itself! I tried another 128gb micro card I used to record videos onto (so I know it works in the camera) --same thing! Now I can't fly the thing HALF dated!! GRRRRR.

I unfortunately misplaced the original 2gb card that came with the drone. Does anyone know the exact specs on that micro card so I can go buy one today and see if the ST16 recognizes with that?

The thing is I've done previous updates to the ST16 controller using the same **** card before!!

I put the update on the camera SD card and it would not take, but then I put the update on the SD card that came out of the ST16 controller, then it worked. So, maybe something is on the card that it identifies as legit.

Oh. i guess I have a bit to learn. I did not know I could format the card IN the controller. Moreover I didn't know I could connect the controller directly to the PC. (I knew I could the drone). Thanks for your reply.
Think of the controller as a Android cell phone.

Reactions: abinder
A cell phone with limited memory. Don't load it up with a bunch of Apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have figured it out... try this:
1- Format the card in windows (or possibly the ST16)
2- move the file to the freshly formated card
3- turn on st16 and go to pad mode / file browser
4- insert the card (make sure you can see the external card at the bottom of the screen)
5- go to flight mode / about controler / update

If I just insert the card without doing steps 3 and 4 it would give me an error message.

I got the information about "ONLY 16gb" directly from the Yuneec tech support 30 min. ago who adamantly said "only a 16 GB will work." When I told HIM that I was told by their own tech support in a previous call that 32 gb would work --he went so far as stating he would send out a company wide bulletion to the entire TS crew to STOP telling people a 32gb would work! So there you have it --I'm only repeating what i was told.

I need to make a correction here. After I saw this post, I asked the member if he would send me the Tech's name he mentioned above in a private conversation. To this moment he has not done so, has not been back on the forum yet.

So today I made a direct communication with Yuneec at their California HQ. I have it in Yuneec official email that the ST-16 will accept cards up to and including 32GB, any class 10 is OK. Some of you tried to point that out.

When we have problems, updating, flyaways, it is easy to get flustered and off-track, misunderstand what we are told, what we read, or what we think the problem is. We need to be careful and not risk passing wrong info off to our fellow members. Remember that doing nothing is also a choice...

Here is a link to Yuneec regarding the firmware up date - watch the video - it worked for me!
Firmware
You can format your SD card using both the ST16 and also in the CG03 +. I also found that it was very important to update the ST16 first by making sure that the card with the ST16 update is actually inserted into the ST16 before powering it on. Good Luck.

I need to make a correction here. After I saw this post, I asked the member if he would send me the Tech's name he mentioned above in a private conversation. To this moment he has not done so, has not been back on the forum yet.

So today I made a direct communication with Yuneec at their California HQ. I have it in Yuneec official email that the ST-16 will accept cards up to and including 32GB, any class 10 is OK. Some of you tried to point that out.

When we have problems, updating, flyaways, it is easy to get flustered and off-track, misunderstand what we are told, what we read, or what we think the problem is. We need to be careful and not risk passing wrong info off to our fellow members. Remember that doing nothing is also a choice...

Yuneec uses a Android operating system. Android systems only read up to 32 GIG. Hence the reason not to use anything larger for updates.

Yuneec uses a Android operating system. Android systems only read up to 32 GIG. Hence the reason not to use anything larger for updates.

Depends on the Android version and the device itself. My Android phone and one Android tablet I have will take up to 64GB micro cards. The ST16 Android appears to be KitKat, an older Android system.

Depends on the Android version and the device itself. My Android phone and one Android tablet I have will take up to 64GB micro cards. The ST16 Android appears to be KitKat, an older Android system.

Yes you are correct but we were talking about Yuneec android systems so the 32 Gig is all it can handle.

What request? Check your email. I never got a request from you asking for the guy's name. If I recall correctly it was Steven H. And I did not get flustered nor mistaken what I was told. Furthermore I'm not in the habit of making up some fantastical story about how the Tech said he 'needed to send a email to his fellow tech support staff stating such.' The fact you insinuate it is a tad lame.

Last edited:
Did last 2 updates on typhoon h pro everything went smooth on install took it out calibrated and flew it in 25 mph winds today flew flawlessly

I had a similar problem updating the ST16 and my H. The only way was to use an SD card that has no data whatsoever except the firmware file.
Format an SD card, load the update file, put it into the ST16 and it will update no problem. Do the same with the H and that will also update no problem. Once competed you must rebind the ST16 to the H otherwise you will unable to recalibrate the accelerometers and compass. I had many problems with the update, but eventually got it sorted thanks very much to Yuneec technical people.

just wondering why everyone says format sd card i havent had to do that .i downloaded updates in google chrome popped in a card dragged update over to card and done .put it in st16 flawlesly then h with no hicups. fis formating card because of some people have different operating systems.

I got the information about "ONLY 16gb" directly from the Yuneec tech support 30 min. ago who adamantly said "only a 16 GB will work." When I told HIM that I was told by their own tech support in a previous call that 32 gb would work --he went so far as stating he would send out a company wide bulletion to the entire TS crew to STOP telling people a 32gb would work! So there you have it --I'm only repeating what i was told.

I use 2 32 gb cards no issues and don't do anything special to load them .I do remove last update from card before I put new on but that's it no formatting just stick it in download and install.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariarussii11