Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

NEW UPDATE - STALLED! Drone updated but won't read card to update ST16

Reaction score
As mentioned the drone updated fine using a 64gb micro card -the ST16 controller refuses to recognize the same card to update itself! I tried another 128gb micro card I used to record videos onto (so I know it works in the camera) --same thing! Now I can't fly the thing HALF dated!! GRRRRR.

I unfortunately misplaced the original 2gb card that came with the drone. Does anyone know the exact specs on that micro card so I can go buy one today and see if the ST16 recognizes with that?

The thing is I've done previous updates to the ST16 controller using the same **** card before!!

Last edited:
As mentioned the drone updated fine using a 64gb micro card -the ST16 controller refuses to recognize the same card to update itself! I tried another 128gb micro card I used to record videos onto (so I know it works in the camera) --same thing! Now I can't fly the thing HALF dated!! GRRRRR.

I unfortunately misplaced the original 2gb card that came with the drone. Does anyone know the exact specs on that micro card so I can go buy one today and see if the ST16 recognizes with that?

The thing is I've done previous updates to the ST16 controller using the same **** card before!!

Most people use a 16 or 32gb card max to avoid problems.

Reactions: abinder
Easy fix.

Obtain a card with a maximum capacity of 32gigs. 8 to 16 would be better and both are usually available at local drug stores. Save that card for future updates. The system does not read large capacity cards very well for firmware codes. It may read the code for the camera or the ST-16 but often won't see both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: abinder
You have to format the card in the controller for it to recognise it. I usually do that, then connect the st-16 to the pc and upload the file to the sd card. That works OK then. Hope that helps a bit.

You have to format the card in the controller for it to recognise it. I usually do that, then connect the st-16 to the pc and upload the file to the sd card. That works OK then. Hope that helps a bit.

Oh. i guess I have a bit to learn. I did not know I could format the card IN the controller. Moreover I didn't know I could connect the controller directly to the PC. (I knew I could the drone). Thanks for your reply.

Actually.. may I ask.. how DO I format the card in the controoller? I went into the pad settings and I see a file manager --but not how to format the card

Actually.. may I ask.. how DO I format the card in the controoller? I went into the pad settings and I see a file manager --but not how to format the card
Easiest way for you then if not familiar with it, put the card in the camera again and format it in there. Then pop it back into the controller. When you plug into the pc, you'll see the st-16 pop up as a drive in computer. You can drag the file to the sd card directory then. Hope this helps.

Easiest way for you then if not familiar with it, put the card in the camera again and format it in there. Then pop it back into the controller. When you plug into the pc, you'll see the st-16 pop up as a drive in computer. You can drag the file to the sd card directory then. Hope this helps.

I have only ever formatted the card in my PC. So I can't even find how to format in the camera either... sorry. This is all very new to me.

The card should be a U3 class 10 16or 32 GB , that will give it a 95 Mb pass right not an 80

Go down on the right-hand side of the ST 16 to the task mode go all the way to the bottom and it will show you format SD card. That will be done in your Typhoon H.

Power up both the H and the ST-16. Once the boot process is complete press the tools icon (looks like a gear) to the left of the task/camera icon at the bottom right corner of the ST-16 screen. That will generate a drop down menu. Scroll to the bottom of the menu to locate "format SD card".

Before you do all that save the last picture or video on the card to your computer. You can put that file back on the card after formatting. Failing to do that will have the file sequencing start over from zero.

Reactions: Christoph
You will find that the more you use the ST 16 and fly your typhoon H the more you will learn. Unfortunately none of this or most of this is not even on the instructions my friends.The reason for this is because the firmware is coming too fast. The new additions to the abilities of the ST 16 and the Typhoon H are increasing almost exponentially.

So I plugged the drone using the USB cord directly into my PC. Nothing. No drive pops up for me to format the the card in the camera.... And I see no way how to format the card in the camera using the ST16. Please help. What am I missing? how can I format the card IN the camera? Or IN the controller for that matter.

The card should be a U3 class 10 16or 32 GB , that will give it a 95 Mb pass right not an 80

Ok. I'll order one of the U3 class 10 16or 32 GB and jsut shelve it until then. What a pita --You'd THINK they could make their dumb software keep up the hardware that's been AROUND AWHILE!!

So I plugged the drone using the USB cord directly into my PC. Nothing. No drive pops up for me to format the the card in the camera.... And I see no way how to format the card in the camera using the ST16. Please help. What am I missing? how can I format the card IN the camera? Or IN the controller for that matter.

I do not think you can format the card in the camera -- I format them in the st16 and they work fine for me..

Any 32 GB card, new ones will already be formatted, FAT32, will work in the ST-16 just fine.

The thing about ALL of this is that I used the same dang 128gb card (AND having formatted it on my PC) to update the controller before with a previous update and it WORKED just fine!

(Update: WRONGLY THOUGHT! -- I did not use the 128 gb card to update the ST16)

Last edited:
Ok. I'll order one of the U3 class 10 16or 32 GB and jsut shelve it until then. What a pita --You'd THINK they could make their dumb software keep up the hardware that's been AROUND AWHILE!!

Why would you do that? get a 64 gig and use it in the camera and when you need one in the st16 use the one that came with it. The st16 does not need high speed cards, to my knowledge anyway

Reactions: PatR
The RETARDED thing about ALL of this is that I have used the same dang 128gb card (AND having formatted it on my PC) to update the controller before with a previous update and it WORKED just fine! And now it just decides not to play --WTH is that all about....?

Maybe give Yuneec a call -- you'll get it done faster

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval