Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New User

Reaction score
I'm about ready to purchase a new h520. Are there any tips or suggestions that would be pertinent prior to my purchase as this will be my first drone?

Here is a manual for the 520

Attachments

• Yuneec_H520_Manual_v1.6_EN.pdf
    37.4 MB · Views: 3
Reactions: Eornom
Welcome to the Forum.

DO NOT upgrade firmware unless you have a specific need to do so. Most common "first time" mistake is updating firmware that does not need to be updated. The resulting mess often requires extended downtime for resolution.

Do your first flights without the camera.

Do your first flights in a large open field. Avoid areas with nearby trees, cars, buildings, etc.

Ensure you are at least 30 ft away from the drone before you start motors.

Impatience is your worst enemy. Read the manual. Understand as much as you can before flight, and ensure you have a plan if things do not behave the way you expect.

If this is your first drone, I have a radical suggestion for you. Leave it in the box for a bit. Purchase a cheap starter drone, even one without GPS assistance. Learn to fly it in an open area, like a field. Ensure the controls are in Mode 2, but most already are. Get yourself confident with this drone. You will crash, this is why you want to make mistakes on an inexpensive drone. After a bit, when you feel comfortable, get out your 520 and follow WTFDproject's advise. A 520 is an expensive drone and crashing will hurt. Learning to fly without GPS will give you the skills to control your drone if things go south, which they will eventually. This is just my two cents, but from experience. Have fun flying!

Welcome!

I'm guessing you're not getting a H520 for recreational purposes. What are your plans for the drone?

The H520 was my first drone purchase too just a couple months ago for aerial real estate photography, but I have had a lifetime of flight simulation, video games, and other RC devices so I am very comfortable around a controller and aircraft. If you don't have much experience in flying or controllers then definitely consider learning the basics on a less expensive platform. There is also a PC based flight simulator you can attach your ST16S controller to with a USB Simu-connector which is nice.

Reactions: BigAl07
I bought a Typhoon H. Crash landed it first time out, broke the camera off it's rail. Cost me £15 and a couple of hours time to fix it, including watching YouTube tutorials. Since found out a camera break can be a lot worse problem.
Went out and bought a £50 drone, practiced in the park with it till confident. Then back to flying the 'H', but without camera for a while, just in case.
Now appropriately qualified and flying commercial missions.
The previous replies to your question are spot-on.

A diligent Pre flight check every time. Battery, arms and camera firmly locked in place. Solid GPS lock with RTH site confirmed. Then check the battery again.

Reactions: WTFDproject
get an other Drohne..i had a H 520 too...after half a year problems.. got 3 times fixt...stilldoesent work..software is absolutly f.. sh...
Get a DJI...they all work just perfekt
Bla-bla-bla, you just talking bull****! DJI had several problems with crashes of drones falling from the sky.
Spark for example where the battery pops out under flight because the small lockers can’t hold the battery in place.
There are examples where flyaways with Mavic’s results in crashes, so don’t come here and throw **** at Yuneec when DJI have their own problems.?

Reactions: AH-1G
I look at it this way. Anything electronic is going to give you grief. I'm picking the 520 for some very specific reasons that pertain to what I want to use it for. I have used high end electrical equipment for most of my career. Therefore, I looking forward to seeing this added to my repertoire of equipment. I presented my question, a rather broad question, to get some generalized input from advanced regular users. So thank you for the responses. Now to add to my question. Is there any specific parts, tools, or extra equipment that I need to look into purchasing. Regarding tools, assume that I have a normal selection of tools for repairing equipment or access.

Allen wrenches, needle nose, ohm meter and beer.
I've not needed to work on my H520, but some have replaced the dampers on the E90. Some spare dampers might be useful, if your E90 doesn't come with them. I did buy some spare props and batteries. Also, a quality battery charger and adapter leads copter.eu - The YUNEEC Experts copter.eu - The YUNEEC Experts copter.eu - The YUNEEC Experts. Gobe filters fit and come in a range of ND values https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gobe-ND8-4...=gobe+40.5+ND&qid=1560757145&s=gateway&sr=8-9
If you buy the polarising filter, the camera can be balanced with a small coin on the back.
Favourite beer ATM Guinness West Indies Porter Beer, 8 x 500 ml: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery

Reactions: Eornom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval