Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

New Yuneec Model Coming

Reaction score
I don't think anyone has talked about this teaser on this forum yet. I'm in the market to get a quad so I'll be interested in what this will bring. I suspect it will be with Qualcomms new chip that they are advertising to bring down cost, increase battery life, and permit features such as obstacle avoidance.

WOW!!!

I WILL BE THERE IN FIVE DAYS!! I can't wait to see it. I will try to post up what I find if you guys want...

I'm really looking forward to what will be announced at CES. I probably will be getting a quad in the March - June timeframe and am debating between Yuneec, DJI, and the new GoPro Karma that may have some information released at CES. Why did everyone decide Yuneec?

I chose yuneec because of the value to tech ratio.

Dji is nice but you need a tablet to use the camera option. The costs are higher for a dji kit. The customer service for dji is poorer. Perk: DJI seems to be like belly buttons... Everyone has one. Everyone makes "stuff" for them - both OEM and aftermarket. A good case is extra. Included cables and doo-dads are not as good.

Yuneec offers a great case with the 4k. The transmitter has a built in screen. The service seems to be better. The bird seems better built. The included gimble and camera seems to be better at 4k. The interface in how it all speaks to itself seems to work better. The included steady grip extends the usability.

Having flown both, my previous DJI and my buddies 4k (mine is still in the box as it has not been FW updated yet - just got it Wednesday) I can say the Yuneec seems easier to fly. You can focus on getting the shot more than you need to focus on piloting the bird.

Lastly, when Yuneec finally launches the simulator dongle, it should make it the easiest bird to master and log lots of safe and FREE flight times with zero penalty crash lands.

Dji is nice but you need a tablet to use the camera option. The costs are higher for a dji kit. The customer service for dji is poorer. Perk: DJI seems to be like belly buttons... Everyone has one. Everyone makes "stuff" for them - both OEM and aftermarket. A good case is extra. Included cables and doo-dads are not as good.

Yuneec offers a great case with the 4k. The transmitter has a built in screen. The service seems to be better. The bird seems better built. The included gimble and camera seems to be better at 4k. The interface in how it all speaks to itself seems to work better. The included steady grip extends the usability.

Having flown both, my previous DJI and my buddies 4k (mine is still in the box as it has not been FW updated yet - just got it Wednesday) I can say the Yuneec seems easier to fly. You can focus on getting the shot more than you need to focus on piloting the bird.

Lastly, when Yuneec finally launches the simulator dongle, it should make it the easiest bird to master and log lots of safe and FREE flight times with zero penalty crash lands.
I have the iPads and iPhones so that isn't relevant. I was caught by the fact that the case and an extra battery are included. I'll see what the new model has to offer but my three concerns are as follows: 1) the range is shorter with different tech. I don't plan on flying that far but I am afraid of disconnects and potential fly aways (not sure how wide spread it is). 2) speed. I don't care that it goes slower but I wonder if more speed would be nicer if you misjudged the winds. 3) gps. It's nice that the phantom has two different systems. I'm just trying to learn at the moment. This would be my first nice quad. I've bought s couple toy grade ones to learn on and feel that these nicer birds would be easier to fly.

Theres always gonna be something coming out soon thats maybe better or not, than what you have or intend to have so if now is your time for the Q4K then heres some facts for ya....
1) Range isnt as good as the phantom .. stock ..However my q500 4k hasnt lost video signal so far and ive been out till i almost cant see it anymore !!!
Their are range extenders for the q500 that triple the range and only about 125 bucks..if need be ..as far as disconnecting...the q500 WILL RTH if lost control signal and video feed usually reconnects when back in range. You can also re take control while in RTH at any time !!!
2)If your an experienced pilot then disabling the gps will make the q500 FAST....However , you must land and restart the Q500 for the GPS to be active again.
3)This Q500 is ,IMHO ,VERY easy to fly AND land
Out of the box,no update to do,charge batterys,install props,calibrate compass and accelerometer in the field (very easy),turn on st10+,turn on q500,fly, enjoy !! wont be sorry !!
Price wise, the bigger value is Yuneec by far....

I think this hits the nail on the head. Period.

Theres always gonna be something coming out soon thats maybe better or not, than what you have or intend to have so if now is your time for the Q4K then heres some facts for ya....
1) Range isnt as good as the phantom .. stock ..However my q500 4k hasnt lost video signal so far and ive been out till i almost cant see it anymore !!!
Their are range extenders for the q500 that triple the range and only about 125 bucks..if need be ..as far as disconnecting...the q500 WILL RTH if lost control signal and video feed usually reconnects when back in range. You can also re take control while in RTH at any time !!!
2)If your an experienced pilot then disabling the gps will make the q500 FAST....However , you must land and restart the Q500 for the GPS to be active again.
3)This Q500 is ,IMHO ,VERY easy to fly AND land
Out of the box,no update to do,charge batterys,install props,calibrate compass and accelerometer in the field (very easy),turn on st10+,turn on q500,fly, enjoy !! wont be sorry !!
Price wise, the bigger value is Yuneec by far....
I couldn't agree more either with this post... I have a hard time understanding the "speed" aspect
of people's concerns. If you want to fly fast, buy one that is built for that purpose. If you are capturing video, it's all about the ease of doing both, piloting and capturing your video subject. The Q500 does both excellent. The range has been more than plenty for me. Seeing it as a spec on the horizon gives me enough of a concern as it is. I can't imagine wanting to get out further with the reputations the DJI's have had with fly-aways. Just my thoughts.

Basically, I'm just concerned with fly aways and want to enjoy the quad. I really want to get a Yuneec because I like the design better and it is better value. I'm waiting a little bit as I'll be too busy with work to enjoy it. Additionally, that new model coming might be very nice and that will be revealed next week.

Just read on another forum that this new model will likely be $2k+. Puts it out of what I'm willing to spend at this point.

I havent heard of or even read about a fly away with this Q4k !!!
and i have done alot of research before upgrading to this quad...
Now on the other hand, IMHO , I think DJI invented the fly away....only because the net is filled with video proof....another reason i stayed away from DJI.
YUNEEC has the best CS out there so far !!
Plenty of stories of the yuneec having issues that may have or my not have caused a crash. and i think every one of them , YUNEEC has stepped up and did the right thing !!!
P.S. If you leave a micro sd card in the st10, then if there ever is a true malfuction, it will be able to be verified by the recorded data and easy for yuneec to warranty !!

I havent heard of or even read about a fly away with this Q4k !!!
and i have done alot of research before upgrading to this quad...
Now on the other hand, IMHO , I think DJI invented the fly away....only because the net is filled with video proof....another reason i stayed away from DJI.
YUNEEC has the best CS out there so far !!
Plenty of stories of the yuneec having issues that may have or my not have caused a crash. and i think every one of them , YUNEEC has stepped up and did the right thing !!!
P.S. If you leave a micro sd card in the st10, then if there ever is a true malfuction, it will be able to be verified by the recorded data and easy for yuneec to warranty !!
I'm really considering everything. Granted, the comments here will be pretty skewed but on the sister site of phantom forums, it seems there are people saying good things about the Q500. I like the value of it ($350 cheaper for the comparable P3P and 3 total battieries).

I'm still learning everything though. I've lost two toy drones already (one of those really really tiny micro drones and a Hubsan X4), but 100% my fault and I honestly was just messing around (high winds, water, and being careless but in a deserted setting, I'm was not being irresponsible just having fun with low risk). I bought a Sygma X8W as my learning quad to take seriously. I think it is a good progression. I'll probably mount a knock off GoPro to it (I surf but I wouldn't be caught dead with one in the water) to get some better shots and enjoy the learning process more. Once I'm done with that, I will really need to decide between the two, circa March-April I'm thinking.

I've purchased the q500 for christmas.With no experience but a little quadcopter.I'm very happy with my decision over the phantom.But i wouldn't dare turn off the gps at the time with my experience with quadcopters.

I have the iPads and iPhones so that isn't relevant. I was caught by the fact that the case and an extra battery are included. I'll see what the new model has to offer but my three concerns are as follows: 1) the range is shorter with different tech. I don't plan on flying that far but I am afraid of disconnects and potential fly aways (not sure how wide spread it is). 2) speed. I don't care that it goes slower but I wonder if more speed would be nicer if you misjudged the winds. 3) gps. It's nice that the phantom has two different systems. I'm just trying to learn at the moment. This would be my first nice quad. I've bought s couple toy grade ones to learn on and feel that these nicer birds would be easier to fly.

I am a three week owner myself. From experience, when I first launched the typhoon 4k, my gonads were literally in my throat. Upon airborne, wow the quad held altitude regardless of height. That immediately boosted my confidence. The maiden flight was so exhilarating that I did not wanted it to end. Now I am confident flying this bird. I replaced the blades to FCs and they are more stable as well. I also purchased 4 extra lipo batteries 6000 mh compared to the three included batteries at 5400 mh. More filght time. I never reach the specified flight time on these batteries though. I always keep a timer upon starting the bird and I RTH with extra 5 minutes to spare. Better safe than sorry.
1) The firmware on the Q500 4K limits the altitude to 375 feet and the distance as well. I tried the altitude and it will not ascend above 375 feet. The distance however, I have not tried because i will not fly my bird beyond my LOS
2) Speed is just right for my preference. For speed junkies, this is not for them.
3) Any high end quad will have 2 GPS systems. One for the quad and one for the X-meter
I have no regrets putting down $1,400 on this bird. Watch a lot of Q500 4K clips on Youtube and you will learn a lot. That's what I did.
Hope that helps out.

Some of us made the decision and the choice without knowing about "fly aways", "speed", "video drop outs", and assortment of other concerns that pop up in here daily. We simply didn't know any better,

As a novice buying his first drone, one thing most of us knew and continue to know is customer Support,
I read enough to understand the wide gap in support between Yuneec and DJI, To this date that alone dominates my decision and choice, For a new guy nothing is more important than THAT,

I don't care that it flies slower, or it won't let you plot GPS way points, I am a ways from needing or appreciating those features, The feature that is hard to come by was, will there be someone on the other end who WILL answer their phones, and provide the support if I need help or if I screwed up,

That was my basis for the selection of Yuneec over others. I don't know which flies better or faster. I don't care. I know who answers their phones faster,

Last edited:
I am a three week owner myself. From experience, when I first launched the typhoon 4k, my gonads were literally in my throat. Upon airborne, wow the quad held altitude regardless of height. That immediately boosted my confidence. The maiden flight was so exhilarating that I did not wanted it to end. Now I am confident flying this bird. I replaced the blades to FCs and they are more stable as well. I also purchased 4 extra lipo batteries 6000 mh compared to the three included batteries at 5400 mh. More filght time. I never reach the specified flight time on these batteries though. I always keep a timer upon starting the bird and I RTH with extra 5 minutes to spare. Better safe than sorry.
1) The firmware on the Q500 4K limits the altitude to 375 feet and the distance as well. I tried the altitude and it will not ascend above 375 feet. The distance however, I have not tried because i will not fly my bird beyond my LOS
2) Speed is just right for my preference. For speed junkies, this is not for them.
3) Any high end quad will have 2 GPS systems. One for the quad and one for the X-meter
I have no regrets putting down $1,400 on this bird. Watch a lot of Q500 4K clips on Youtube and you will learn a lot. That's what I did.
Hope that helps out.
The 375' barrier would be a hinderence imo as to distance. Isn't that the geofencing setting where it stays within those confines? From all the research I have done, altitude should be limited to 400' and range will carry but seems 1,000' is pretty usual. What I'm referring to in regards to the Speed is just in a situation where the wind picks up. My practice quad will struggle with wind (well, it was a $100 practice quad so can't expect much) so I would just want to have the power to get home if need be. It sounds like the Typhoon is a lot better built. That and the customer service has me leaning towards it. I just need to see if my concern over range with the potential video drop offs will be calmed (along with the potential new Typhoon H and GoPro Karma).

If you looking to set speed, altitude and distance records then certainly consider a Phantom..BUT.....if you looking to capture smooth HD, 2K, 4K video/stills with ease of operation and stability then consider the Q4k..I have both Phantoms P2+ and the Q4k. All I do is capture video and stills for a variety of clients. Both of my Phantoms have been on the shelf since my first Q4K flight last July. Now in 2016 with well over 200 fights on the Q4K I can assure you of it's stability and reliability. Two of the original props are still on the air craft (though I do balance them regularly) I have never had less than 15 sats on the Quad and 11 on the controller...I was excited if I got 9 on my Phantom. Now I have never flown my Q4K out of site and I think the highest I've flown was around 375ft in order to capture the entire image of a corn maze last October. Way points, maps, and preset photo options, i.e orbit, cable, etc. as the 3DRSolo, is my only wish for the Q4K.

I am looking forward to the reveal. :)

If you looking to set speed, altitude and distance records then certainly consider a Phantom..BUT.....if you looking to capture smooth HD, 2K, 4K video/stills with ease of operation and stability then consider the Q4k..I have both Phantoms P2+ and the Q4k. All I do is capture video and stills for a variety of clients. Both of my Phantoms have been on the shelf since my first Q4K flight last July. Now in 2016 with well over 200 fights on the Q4K I can assure you of it's stability and reliability. Two of the original props are still on the air craft (though I do balance them regularly) I have never had less than 15 sats on the Quad and 11 on the controller...I was excited if I got 9 on my Phantom. Now I have never flown my Q4K out of site and I think the highest I've flown was around 375ft in order to capture the entire image of a corn maze last October. Way points, maps, and preset photo options, i.e orbit, cable, etc. as the 3DRSolo, is my only wish for the Q4K.
Altitude isn't my main concern, more so is distance. 1,000' is fine for me for the moment but I like the idea of a buffer. From what I have read, the P2 vs. P3 are different animals with the P3 being a nice upgrade. Those intelligent flight modes would be nice. I am really torn for what to get. I was looking at a 3DR (especially since I met some of the guys at my alma mater) but the fiance but the stop to that. Guess I have to stay reasonable (which is why I like the Q500 4K).

My main qualms besides the range is the system controlling it. I am a tech lover and I like more complicated things with more settings and abilities and from what I've seen, the Q500 is behind in that regard? I have to look deeper but I haven't seen any detailed walkthroughs of the android system.

I'm really looking forward to what is coming next week though, I hope it comes earlier in the week than the end! I thought the Q500 was released early 2015 which would make me think a replacement is viable. I just would be bummed if it came in at $2k and had the extra features that I was looking for. Luckily, I am not going to buy for quite a while so I can see what materializes from the brands and GoPro (I'm in public accounting i.e. busy season is coming and I won't have time for anything else over the next two months)...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval