Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Peau Productions Typhoon H 8.25mm Zoom Lens [Example Media, Official Thread]

This is great news. I did some projects as surveyer and overall results and images are not best for photogrammetry due to wide lens in CGO3+.
I have 2 questions:
1. Will this new lens have any affect on image sharpness since it is double zoom and normally images are taken during movement of drone through prepared path?
2. What will be image resolution, now it is 4000x3000 px, you are writing 16MP, images on your examples are 7000-9000px?

This 8.25mm lens is far sharper than the stock original lens. I believe what you're asking about is pixel blur, which relates to making sure your shutter speed is fast enough so that the pixels are sharp and not blurred. For photos this is not typically an issue since the shutter speeds are much higher than video. Just watch your shutter speeds and adjust as needed if you are noticing any pixel blur.

Same pixel resolution (4000x3000) as the sensor is not changing. The reason some of the images shared above are higher resolution is that they are stitched from multiple photos, forming a panorama image.

This 8.25mm lens is far sharper than the stock original lens. I believe what you're asking about is pixel blur, which relates to making sure your shutter speed is fast enough so that the pixels are sharp and not blurred. For photos this is not typically an issue since the shutter speeds are much higher than video. Just watch your shutter speeds and adjust as needed if you are noticing any pixel blur.

Same pixel resolution (4000x3000) as the sensor is not changing. The reason some of the images shared above are higher resolution is that they are stitched from multiple photos, forming a panorama image.

OK, thanks for explaining. What software are you using for stiching?

Above link to images zip file doesn't work. I would like to see then some unedited images from camera if possible. Thanks

The 8.25mm is over a 2x zoom compared to the stock CGO3+/CGO3 lens, and was designed to be exactly a 2x compared to our 3.97mm (82 degree HFOV vs 41 degrees HFOV). It has improved overall sharpness, reduced chromatic abberation and very little lens flare. If you can even get it to flare, it will be a very faint rainbow flare, and never a concentrated pink/blue point.

The 2x zoom has a few great benefits:

-Able to capture the same scene but be 2x the distance. This is good to not disturb your subjects. We'll have a video of some surfers coming out next week where the zoom makes you feel like you're right on top of them but we're much further away. One angle that does really well with a zoom lens like the 8.25mm is the straight down shot, like the basketball one above. You'll see some examples of this also in the surfing video.
-The 47mm equivalent focal length is a very common focal length for cinematic shots, most commonly used on larger aircraft rigs and setups like the Inspire X5. So it's a focal length people are used to seeing.
-You can get some really great parallax and tracking shots with objects centered in the frame. See the Parallax video with the balloons above to see what I mean. Basically you can pan around and keep an object the main point your eye looks at and then the background blurs slightly behind.

There are though some things you have to keep in mind when using a zoom lens:

-You will almost always need to use various ND filters to stop the light down and allow you to use lower shutter speeds. That's why we worked with Freewell to come out with a kit that has ND4-ND64. In bright sunlight you'll need at least a ND16, and with overly white scenes such as snow or concrete you'll need a ND32-ND64. We typically shoot for a shutter speed around 1/250s, as this will remove the rolling shutter jello issues. It's also important to lock your white balance when using ND filters.
-Fast pans will often show the effects of the rolling shutter, so you have to slow your pans down, especially if you're at a lower shutter speed. You'll see an example of this in a shot from the surfer video.
-Something that is highly recommended as well is to balance your props, as you want to reduce any easily corrected vibrations that may exist.

Other than that, we think having a narrow FOV camera for your aerial drone platform is a great option for any pilot, and the professionals will likely find they rarely will go back to the wide-angle setup for most shots. After all, it's a flying camera rig, so it's very easy to move further back for that same wider angle shot if you need it.

Ok I own a Typhoon H obviously being that I'm on this forum that is. So currently have the stock lens installed on it but I also have on order a new lens for it, I got the new lens idea from this forum so what my new lens is, is as follows: 4k Lens 3.65mm Lens 1/2.3" 16MP 94 Degree. The thing that did not even cross my mind nor the minds of the others because they made no mention to the fact of some CGO3+ Cams had thread mounted lens and others did not. So I'll definitely be going to check on that right away, but my question is this, if I find that my H does NOT have a thread lens mount would I be able to purchase the above mentioned Threaded Lens Mount to Install onto my CGO3+ cam & have it be able to work with/accept not Only the 8.25mm 41 Degree lens but also would it work with the Threaded lens that I have bought and still waiting on delivery for because it is threaded and YES it is indeed made for the m12 size as well as it says that it is made for the Typhoon H & like I said earlier the reason I was so apt to buy into it was because many others with the H on this forum were also doing it. It wasn't long ago maybe about 1 month or less that all the others & me were talking about it and bought it?

Also if I find that my H came with a CGO3+ that was not threaded and then I install your above mentioned new mount being that it is threaded, is that going to mean that I will not be able to change out the stock lens with either this 42 Degree lens or my mentioned 94 Degree lens because they are both threaded??? Or on the stock CGO3+ lenses that are Not threaded, How thick are their plastic surrounding walls where you'd normally see the threads, Is this something you'd know or could approximate or that I may possibly be able to find out somewhere? Because my thought would be this, If my stock lens turns out to be the NON-Threaded type I'm curious to see if it'd be at all possible to thread it to the same threads as the other 2?? I do realize after reading above statements that the stock lens without threads measures 13mm circumference vs if it is threaded it will be 12mm with threaded so if I were to thread a nonthreaded lens I'd basically have to remove 1mm so that it would end up measuring 12mm including the threads!!! Thank you so very much for your assistance in this matter!!!!!!!
Thank You
Tom C.

Ok I own a Typhoon H obviously being that I'm on this forum that is. So currently have the stock lens installed on it but I also have on order a new lens for it, I got the new lens idea from this forum so what my new lens is, is as follows: 4k Lens 3.65mm Lens 1/2.3" 16MP 94 Degree. The thing that did not even cross my mind nor the minds of the others because they made no mention to the fact of some CGO3+ Cams had thread mounted lens and others did not. So I'll definitely be going to check on that right away, but my question is this, if I find that my H does NOT have a thread lens mount would I be able to purchase the above mentioned Threaded Lens Mount to Install onto my CGO3+ cam & have it be able to work with/accept not Only the 8.25mm 41 Degree lens but also would it work with the Threaded lens that I have bought and still waiting on delivery for because it is threaded and YES it is indeed made for the m12 size as well as it says that it is made for the Typhoon H & like I said earlier the reason I was so apt to buy into it was because many others with the H on this forum were also doing it. It wasn't long ago maybe about 1 month or less that all the others & me were talking about it and bought it?

Also if I find that my H came with a CGO3+ that was not threaded and then I install your above mentioned new mount being that it is threaded, is that going to mean that I will not be able to change out the stock lens with either this 42 Degree lens or my mentioned 94 Degree lens because they are both threaded??? Or on the stock CGO3+ lenses that are Not threaded, How thick are their plastic surrounding walls where you'd normally see the threads, Is this something you'd know or could approximate or that I may possibly be able to find out somewhere? Because my thought would be this, If my stock lens turns out to be the NON-Threaded type I'm curious to see if it'd be at all possible to thread it to the same threads as the other 2?? I do realize after reading above statements that the stock lens without threads measures 13mm circumference vs if it is threaded it will be 12mm with threaded so if I were to thread a nonthreaded lens I'd basically have to remove 1mm so that it would end up measuring 12mm including the threads!!! Thank you so very much for your assistance in this matter!!!!!!!
Thank You
Tom C.

Yes you can use the threaded mount we sell to install other m12x0.5 lenses. The stock lens is still threaded as far as we know even if the new black lens mounts are not, so you should be able to break the glue and thread it into the new mount.

I have great confidence in my ability to be able to successfully remove the old lens mount along with all of the remains (ie glue etc.) & then install the new one but I do have just a few question regarding that. After removing everything that I need to when removing the stock lens mount including the old glue. What type of glue should be used to install the new lens mount?

Also being that in any of my past experiences with removing glue or other adhesives I've always have had the best luck by applying a bit of heat to it and it made it so much easier and cleaner to remove all leftover adhesives. Although I obviously know that I wouldn't want to use things such as a heat gun because it may do more damage than good because it is not a very focused heat source. But I was thinking about using maybe my HotKnife that has an Exacto Knife for the tip of it. What do you think about doing that or what would you recommend that may be better, easier or safer??? Thank you so much Tom. C

I have great confidence in my ability to be able to successfully remove the old lens mount along with all of the remains (ie glue etc.) & then install the new one but I do have just a few question regarding that. After removing everything that I need to when removing the stock lens mount including the old glue. What type of glue should be used to install the new lens mount?

Also being that in any of my past experiences with removing glue or other adhesives I've always have had the best luck by applying a bit of heat to it and it made it so much easier and cleaner to remove all leftover adhesives. Although I obviously know that I wouldn't want to use things such as a heat gun because it may do more damage than good because it is not a very focused heat source. But I was thinking about using maybe my HotKnife that has an Exacto Knife for the tip of it. What do you think about doing that or what would you recommend that may be better, easier or safer??? Thank you so much Tom. C

No glue is needed, just use some Teflon thread tape, one layer is usually enough to provide a secure fit.

We use a chiseled soldering iron to make notches in the corners of the lens mount so we can get a flat blade under to pop the lens mount off. That's the best method we've found with the highest success rate to not damage the sensor board. There's still the chance to damage them though so be very careful.. we damaged one today.

Let me see if I have this right. If I send my CGO3+ camera in to you folks to change out my crappy, unfocused lens for your "better than sliced bread" $140 lens, you will charge an additional $150 to do this? And because I'm in Europe, I suppose I can expect hefty shipping charges as well? Do I have this correct? So that's 140+150 plus shipping. Right Sparky?

8.25mm Lens Purchasing ($140)
Labor Service to Send CGO3+/CGO3 Cameras In to be Modified ($150)
*Peau Productions ships worldwide

Reactions: GRH
Let me see if I have this right. If I send my CGO3+ camera in to you folks to change out my crappy, unfocused lens for your "better than sliced bread" $140 lens, you will charge an additional $150 to do this? And because I'm in Europe, I suppose I can expect hefty shipping charges as well? Do I have this correct? So that's 140+150 plus shipping. Right Sparky?

8.25mm Lens Purchasing ($140)
Labor Service to Send CGO3+/CGO3 Cameras In to be Modified ($150)
*Peau Productions ships worldwide

Yes, $290 for lens+labor. You can buy the lens and mount ($140+$10) and do the install yourself if you don't want to send the camera to us. We also sell new modified cameras for $800.
As far as hefty shipping charges, shipping is free for all orders over $100, and it will be delivered via DHL in 3-4 business days if you do choose to pay for the expedite shipping option (often very low cost, ~$20). You'll only need to pay for the shipping to get it to our office in the USA. If you would like a lesser customs value included on the return package you can request that value during checkout with the understanding that the package will only be insured up to the claimed value.

Yes, $290 for lens+labor. You can buy the lens and mount ($140+$10) and do the install yourself if you don't want to send the camera to us.
I choose not to install it myself because that just adds insult to injury. My time is valuable and who the **** has time for that??
We also sell new modified cameras for $800.
LOL! I pass on that. Are you folks for real?
As far as hefty shipping charges, shipping is free for all orders over $100, and it will be delivered via DHL in 3-4 business days if you do choose to pay for the expedite shipping option (often very low cost, ~$20). You'll only need to pay for the shipping to get it to our office in the USA. If you would like a lesser customs value included on the return package you can request that value during checkout with the understanding that the package will only be insured up to the claimed value.
I may consider this, although the sheer thought of sending in a camera that SHOULD have been up-to-par out of the box really pisses me off. If I don't get this technological POS sold on Ebay within the next few days, who knows?

I ordered one of these lenses a while back complete with CG03+ and was told shipping would be in October. Well it will soon be November, can you advise me when I can expect delivery?

We've gone through many revisions of the lens to make sure it's the best it can be, so we appreciate the patience of those that pre-ordered it. Know that the example media you've seen thus far has been from pre-production lenses and the final design is further improved. We are doing are best to receive them by the end of next week. The factory has told us they'd ship by November 2nd or sooner, so we're pushing them to make it sooner.

We've gone through many revisions of the lens to make sure it's the best it can be, so we appreciate the patience of those that pre-ordered it. Know that the example media you've seen thus far has been from pre-production lenses and the final design is further improved. We are doing are best to receive them by the end of next week. The factory has told us they'd ship by November 2nd or sooner, so we're pushing them to make it sooner.
OK thanks for the reply, just needed an update. I am looking forward to the results :)

While the price is too steep for me, I'd just like to say I'm impressed with Peau Productions interactivity here.

Has anyone got this lens, looking to read and see some feedback.
I'm thinking to use this lens for photogrammetry work.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval