Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Plastic Vibration Noise

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the plastic to plastic vibration noise with the H while hovering or descending? It was irritating to me -- sounded horrible. No issues with flight, but just bothered me that there was enough vibration to be heard over the props. I often wondered what that vibration was doing to the components and wished it wasn't there.

I don't recommend anyone doing this, but I've found a solution that I applied to what I'm now calling my test H. My test H was completely totaled with 3 broken arms, broken air frame (the hex part that all the arms and controller board connect to), broken legs, upper and lower shells, camera connection wires, etc etc. It was a mess. I rebuilt it completely and it's fine now.

Here is what I learned as the cause of that irritating vibration. It's the upper and lower shell assembly and how they "mate" to one other. You got it -- plastic to plastic on the posts and around the outer shell casing. Some posts mate upper and lower shells alone and some posts include the air-frame sandwiched between them. Since I didn't know if the H would ever fly again and if it did, it would only be for test purposes, I decided to apply a remedy. And it worked.

Using only my finger, I applied a very thin film of black silicone on all plastic to plastic mating points and perimeter edges during my final re-assembly. Let it dry overnight, then re-assembled. I think the perimeter edges -- do to their "fit" - were the worst areas of potential vibration. The film had to be very thin as to not prevent the mating of these edges.

Amazingly, all I hear now are the props and motors in any direction (up down sideways etc). What an amazing difference. And yes by the way, complete success with the re-build.

Thought I'd share.

Reactions: eric bee and PatR
Sounds like a good solution. I have not heard any vibration on my "H" but this would be good to keep in mind if, over time, the vibration develops due to normal wear and tear. Hey, maybe you can take it a step further and develop a "gasket" that you can market to "H" owners?

You discovered the secret a lot of DIY builders use when they assemble larger frames for custom camera rigs. Applying a thin film of silicone at locations where booms and clamps contact each other and/or the frame plates during assembly makes them markedly less noisy by eliminating any dead space between components that can vibrate. It also helps the frame be a little more rigid and extends the life of frame and electrical components by minimizing vibration induced component wear, something long the bane of gas engine RC aircraft. I use the method extensively on Tarot frames.

Well done.

You discovered the secret a lot of DIY builders use when they assemble larger frames for custom camera rigs. Applying a thin film of silicone at locations where booms and clamps contact each other and/or the frame plates during assembly makes them markedly less noisy by eliminating any dead space between components that can vibrate. It also helps the frame be a little more rigid and extends the life of frame and electrical components by minimizing vibration induced component wear, something long the bane of gas engine RC aircraft. I use the method extensively on Tarot frames.

Well done.
Thank you -- and as noted in the other response, you'd think Yuneec would have created a gasket of sorts to prevent this vibration. Now, I'm tempted to do it to my new H pro and my Phantoms.

Sounds like a good solution. I have not heard any vibration on my "H" but this would be good to keep in mind if, over time, the vibration develops due to normal wear and tear. Hey, maybe you can take it a step further and develop a "gasket" that you can market to "H" owners?

Thanks -- and there's a thought -- a gasket. Unfortunately, the space between the upper and lower shell is very small and uses interlocking "edges" and clips. Would take some creative engineering to "manufacture" a gasket of sorts. Yuneec -- if monitoring these threads - should consider this as I've noticed my Phantoms also have this vibration and if Yuneec integrates such a 'quiet' solution -- it would be another feather in their "wings". Happy new year.

Interesting. I've had my H apart a few times now and I have noticed a vibration sound whilst flying. Guess I'll get the silicone out tomorrow and try this out. Thanks for the tip.

Interesting. I've had my H apart a few times now and I have noticed a vibration sound whilst flying. Guess I'll get the silicone out tomorrow and try this out. Thanks for the tip.

It's worth it -- you'll be amazed at the "quality" tight sound of motors and props only. Just be careful not to put on too much that will prevent proper closure -- especially on the "clips" near the arms. I waited until the silicone was dry -- but to ensure closure -- perhaps it might be better to assemble while still wet to ensure proper closure. I did struggle in a few places where the silicone was a bit too thick. Don't know. Something to consider. Happy Pioneering.

It's worth it -- you'll be amazed at the "quality" tight sound of motors and props only. Just be careful not to put on too much that will prevent proper closure -- especially on the "clips" near the arms. I waited until the silicone was dry -- but to ensure closure -- perhaps it might be better to assemble while still wet to ensure proper closure. I did struggle in a few places where the silicone was a bit too thick. Don't know. Something to consider. Happy Pioneering.

Mine is already assembled. I'm thinking of just running a small bead of silicone around the two halves of the shell so that the gap is sealed. If I need to re-open it again for anything, then I can just cut the silicone seal if need be.

Mine is already assembled. I'm thinking of just running a small bead of silicone around the two halves of the shell so that the gap is sealed. If I need to re-open it again for anything, then I can just cut the silicone seal if need be.
OOOOOHHHHH -- that's a good idea as well. You won't be able to reach the posts inside, but if this works -- it'll be a great tip. Let us know!

I wouldn't be taking an H apart just to add some silicone, especially if it was still under warranty. I would check for loose screws if it seemed to be rattling though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be taking an H apart just to add some silicone, especially if it was still under warranty. I would check for loose screws if it seemed to be rattling though.

Agreed. However, I have had mine apart already as I have done the antenna upgrade. All screws are tightened down, yet there still is an 'annoying' vibration every now and then - has been even before I pulled it apart. I'm going to give the silicone idea a try as I think it just may work.

Just following up on this. After many flights since i have put a bead of silicone around the outside join between the top and bottom shell, the 'vibration' noise in my H has disappeared. It may not look aesthetic, but it sure as heck sounds a lot better in the air, particularly at speed.

Just following up on this. After many flights since i have put a bead of silicone around the outside join between the top and bottom shell, the 'vibration' noise in my H has disappeared. It may not look aesthetic, but it sure as heck sounds a lot better in the air, particularly at speed.
Wonderful -- the shells are rather easy to separate and coat. For my next trick -- I've learned how to keep that darned ST-16 Handle to stay in place when opened. Don't know if you've been annoyed by this when propping up using what I think they call the handle / stand -- it always falls down. I cut the end of a black tie-wrap about 1 inch including the locking head. Then slipped the tie wrap end first into the slots where the handle is mounted to the ST16. The right size tie wrap with the tie wrap head facing the top -- is perfect. No more sloppy handle/stand. See pic.
upload_2017-2-15_16-46-49.png
upload_2017-2-15_16-46-14.png

Nice - I know EXACTLY what you are referring to with the handle. I've made the mistake a few times as it does fold back down pretty easily. I'll give your idea a try - thanks for sharing.

Agreed. However, I have had mine apart already as I have done the antenna upgrade. All screws are tightened down, yet there still is an 'annoying' vibration every now and then - has been even before I pulled it apart. I'm going to give the silicone idea a try as I think it just may work.
The newer H's have a bit better antenna setup housed in two plastic tubes underneath the H, where you see people putting on aftermarket antennas.

Does anyone know if The After Market Antenna upgrade is actually better than what the H has now. Is Range & Signal quality better with The After Market so called upgrade?

Not sure if anyone has actually done a comparison on that, and to be honest, it would be pretty hard to split them. For people with the H Pro, the existing antenna would be fine, for those, like me, with the H, then the upgrade certainly makes a big improvement.

Not sure if anyone has actually done a comparison on that, and to be honest, it would be pretty hard to split them. For people with the H Pro, the existing antenna would be fine, for those, like me, with the H, then the upgrade certainly makes a big improvement.

Well, I was talking on The H which now instead of having the antenna wires hidden in the body, have them now pointing out of the body on both sides at 45 degrees.

Here this image here shows the new stock antennas that are on this year's Typhoon H.
This is the version I have.

So what I was asking, obviously these antennas are more exposed than on earlier models hidden in the body.

So does the Antenna upgrade I have seen on YouTube which puts what amounts to two rubber ducky antennas on the body give you any more range?

I installed The Real Sense Module ON The H, so the only thing I really need to do to turn mine in to a Pro is do the antenna upgrade on the ST 16 (take the internal antenna wire and add the third external antenna), which is an easy project to do, and the instructions are easy to find on YouTube.

It will void your warranty, so I am waiting for a year before I do it. Besides, I don't fly much further than half a mile right now. We'll see when the weather breaks how adventurous I want to be to see if I need to extend the range yet.

But when I decide to do any mods, it will most likely be after my 1 year is up, and then I might do upgrades on both systems beyond what is considered a Pro H, and ST 16 +

520533-yuneec-typhoon-h.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sierrarhodesss