Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

PLEASE help lost in lake !

Reaction score
So I was flying my typhoon late afternoon (sunset) and I was flying it over the lake about 1/8 to 1/4 mile away. I lost response and it would not go up when I hit up. When I hit up it went right. I hit home and nothing. So it fell into the lake. GONE.....

Just got this thing. $1,925.....will yuneec sell me just the drone at cost or send me another. I read that these had a 1 Mile range.

How to get flight log ?

Any help, stories or insights would be great. Almost thinging about giving up.

Thanks Scott

The flight logs are stored in the ST-16. Don't change anything in the -16. Call Yuneec Monday morning and explain the situation. They will want the log files from the -16. Ask them to help you download them at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, that's not good.

The Typhoon, if it is too far away may lose the signal. Mine has done it many times.... When this happens it will turn around to the right and face home, then fly back. However, if you lose the video signal and touch the left joystick to go up (as you said), or right to move in any direction, it will respond because it's still receiving input from the ST16 although you see nothing on the screen. What then happens is that you think it's not responding but in fact you're still flying it.... into a tree, into a hill, into a lake. Not saying this is what happened in your case, but it does happen.

The Telementry logs on the ST16 will let you know what happened and if you were still connected. Yuneec will ask you to send them the FLIGHT LOG folder. If all is good, they may replace your drone free of charge.

My camera was was not working. So know camera. Just lost all control of drone and flipped to home and nothing.

Scott, sorry that you lost your drone. If you just got it I can't help but wonder why you would be flying it over a lake?

Reactions: Mickeyboo
+1

I couldn't agree with this more. From a photography perspective, their arial angles and views you couldn't possibly get of or from a body of water unless you were actually in a heli or plane... IMO, its worth the risk for some beautiful imagery...

Because you can make beautiful pictures and movies over a lake.......

Last edited:
Scott, sorry that you lost your drone. If you just got it I can't help but wonder why you would be flying it over a lake?
I agree. I'm sorry for Scott and I can see the temptation of getting a good shot over a lake. But I gotta say that I went for a month of testing before I took mine over water and even now I only fly it over water for the briefest of time I can get away with for the shot. I always extensively test any new aircraft before putting it into general use.

Again, I'm sorry for Scott. It's a bummer and I hope Yuneec sorts him out.

I agree. I'm sorry for Scott and I can see the temptation of getting a good shot over a lake. But I gotta say that I went for a month of testing before I took mine over water and even now I only fly it over water for the briefest of time I can get away with for the shot. I always extensively test any new aircraft before putting it into general use.

Again, I'm sorry for Scott. It's a bummer and I hope Yuneec sorts him out.
I agree pictures over water can be great but not until your drone is well tested.

Flying over water always carries risk of irretrievable loss. If you lose one when you are prepared for it because the system has been well tested and you have developed your flight skills to match the system capabilities it's still bad, but your understanding of the risk and acceptance of it helps balance things out.

I'm pretty sure the OP now recognizes that risk when flying over water, especially at long distances, is inherently much higher, and more difficult to bear, when flying a new aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: D See Ker
Flying over water always carries risk of irretrievable loss. If you lose one when you are prepared for it because the system has been well tested and you have developed your flight skills to match the system capabilities it's still bad, but your understanding of the risk and acceptance of it helps balance things out.

I'm pretty sure the OP now recognizes that risk when flying over water, especially at long distances, is inherently much higher, and more difficult to bear, when flying a new aircraft. None of that makes the situation any better. The call to Yuneec and their review of the telemetry might though.

Flying over the river and filming the big freighters WAS a favorite thing for me. Just had my 5th flight since back from Yuneec, latest firmware, my trust is building again. Hoping to do more in the winter when the river and lake Huron freeze over.

I agree that one should be very familiar with their drone before trying anything that could put their drone at greater risk.

How I finally convinced myself to fly over water was asking myself; "How many times have I had to set my "H" down, or any drone I own in an area other than my starting point or where my current position is/was? How many times has my drone(s) initiated any type of "self-landing" on its own? The answer for me was NONE, ZERO. And to that point it had been over 100 flights. Sure "stuff" happens thats beyond our control.

I know its the thought of the drone being unrecoverable even if it needs a complete over-haul and is basically trashed. Don't get me wrong. I still get very anxious/nervous when I fly over water where I know if it goes down its lost forever...

Sorry for your loss but anytime you go over an area where you can't get your drone and it might be impossible is not a good place to fly hope Yuneec does something for you

If the H decides to crash it doesn't really matter if you are over land or water. Just that in one case you get to take home a pile of plastic, if you can find it. At least the other way you don't have to waste you tome looking for it. (I'm having a cynical day). Fly aways shouldn't happen.

Reactions: QuadBart
I live in South West Florida. The development I live in isn't called Island Walk for nothing. Each street is like an island. There are water retention lakes everywhere here in Florida. There are miles and miles of beaches minutes from my house. Even if I try and stay over land I end up over water at some point. I have quite a bit of experience on both my Q-500 and my H. I don't do anything high risk and have never had an issue or emergency with either drone. I figure if it goes down in the water it is gone. It will save me any thoughts of trying to fix a land crashed drone that will probably never be the same again anyway. I just enjoy flying them a whole lot more than repairing them. If I were honest I would have to say I have already got my monies worth out of both of them. Wish me continued luck.

Thanks for the reply's....I have read each of them. I live on the lake and have a patio on the 3rd floor. Is it possible that if the drone is below my controller it will lose signal at 1/8 mile away ?

How many times does your drone self land ? on land this is great it lands.....Over water its total failure. I'm sad if I can't fly over water anymore.

Thanks Scott

Reactions: Thrasht
Thanks for the reply's....I have read each of them. I live on the lake and have a patio on the 3rd floor. Is it possible that if the drone is below my controller it will lose signal at 1/8 mile away ?

How many times does your drone self land ? on land this is great it lands.....Over water its total failure. I'm sad if I can't fly over water anymore.

Thanks Scott
I fly over water all the time. After several flyaways (all recovered) with DJI products, I chose the Typhoon H. I have much more confidence in the H. I have never had an unplanned landing or loss of control. I know that it can survive one rotor loss and still come home.
What have you heard from Yuneec? If flight logs show that you did nothing wrong, they will likely replace it.

I have a call into the manufacturer with not a call back yet. I found my flight logs but I'm having trouble finding the right one because everything is in Chinese.

I know I lost all signal because when I put it in home it didn't rise up and fly home it kept falling like it was trying to land

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval