Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Please test Wizard follow me with changing elevation.

I filmed today a mountainbike trail ride with very small elevation change, maybe 30-40m overall. It was maybe 700-800m long. The trail is really flat in the beginning, and towards the end it descends more.

I had the H setup really low at the beginning, and at the end-point it was substantially higher. And even after stopping it didn't make any attempt of lowering its position.

Even more annoying is that the Watch-Me mode doesn't seem to keep track of the Wizard as it descends. Difficult to explain, but from this video you see how the rider is going outside of the frame becasue the drone is not descending and the camera tilt is neither point more downwards. I reason this is becaue it films the relative position assuming constant elevation.

SEE VIDEO:

Well just another disappointment, lots of props in the video also.

I filmed today a mountainbike trail ride with very small elevation change, maybe 30-40m overall. It was maybe 700-800m long. The trail is really flat in the beginning, and towards the end it descends more.

I had the H setup really low at the beginning, and at the end-point it was substantially higher. And even after stopping it didn't make any attempt of lowering its position.

Even more annoying is that the Watch-Me mode doesn't seem to keep track of the Wizard as it descends. Difficult to explain, but from this video you see how the rider is going outside of the frame becasue the drone is not descending and the camera tilt is neither point more downwards. I reason this is becaue it films the relative position assuming constant elevation.

SEE VIDEO:

I'm a mountain biker so the subject is right up my street. I've noticed with a lot of the follow me videos the H can't maintain a constant distance from the wizard. It slows down then speeds up away from it then does the same again. I guess there must be a huge delay

SEE VIDEO:
Actually it did track your altitude very well. Remember this is using a barometer which isn't extremely accurate. If you lined up your shot to be following you would have stayed in frame much better or if you had more distance out in front. I would suggest being very careful regarding low altitude when going uphill in follow me since it could easily hit the ground. Again it's because the altitude adjustment is very coarse.

Reactions: Gyro108
I noticed H change altitude just by raising the wizard from ground level to reaching above your head.

Yes it has nice sensitivity mine does the same with forward back motions. Unfortunately now that I have mine I can concur with the inaccuracies of the altitude following. I climbed 2 smaller hills in separate flights with my mtn bike. 1st time the H lost maybe 75 feet of relative altitude. The 2nd hill it gained a good 150 feet. These were small 2-300 foot climbs. It would have hit the ground on the first run had I not been monitoring it. Follow me is kind of besides the point now because I need to be watching what my bicycle is doing, not the H. Disappointing but not really so unexpected, Yuneec promises a lot for a relatively small amount of money so there are bound to be compromises.

Yes it has nice sensitivity mine does the same with forward back motions. Unfortunately now that I have mine I can concur with the inaccuracies of the altitude following. I climbed 2 smaller hills in separate flights with my mtn bike. 1st time the H lost maybe 75 feet of relative altitude. The 2nd hill it gained a good 150 feet. These were small 2-300 foot climbs. It would have hit the ground on the first run had I not been monitoring it. Follow me is kind of besides the point now because I need to be watching what my bicycle is doing, not the H. Disappointing but not really so unexpected, Yuneec promises a lot for a relatively small amount of money so there are bound to be compromises.

I always allow the barometer(s) to acclimate for a good 5 minutes, then reboot. Why reboot? Habit from other FC I guess. I had very bad AGL estimate errors after landing when first flying the H. Restarting the motors I noticed the baro resets to 0 and then is pretty darn accurate. I'm wondering if the Wizard baro is the problem.

Dynamic altitude does work with the H. It just doesn't work well yet IMO. The altitude corrections seemed stepped rather than smooth, the faster you go the more apparent it is. I think the fundamentals are in place for dynamic altitude to be a great addition but we will have to wait for firmware updates.

Look how well Solo uses the barometer in the Mini 4 for dynamic altitude. If it means anything my Phantom's do not have dji supported DA and SDK DA is poor at best IMO.

Do barometers even have the required accuracy for controlling altitude? What is the resolution? With GPS, while the altitude may be a dozen feet off from actual, it is easy to detect altitude changes.

I'm a mountain biker so the subject is right up my street. I've noticed with a lot of the follow me videos the H can't maintain a constant distance from the wizard. It slows down then speeds up away from it then does the same again. I guess there must be a huge delay

I have the H setup pretty close to me in this video. If it would be further away, it would be much more stable. For me it's pretty understandable that distance cannot be constant, because especially in mountainbiking you change your travelling direction/speed rapidly. I was riding a berm track the other day, it was all over the place... But it did follow.

Actually it did track your altitude very well. Remember this is using a barometer which isn't extremely accurate. If you lined up your shot to be following you would have stayed in frame much better or if you had more distance out in front. I would suggest being very careful regarding low altitude when going uphill in follow me since it could easily hit the ground. Again it's because the altitude adjustment is very coarse.

Thanks for the filming tips. Both options would definitely improve.

As for the altitude tracking, which was the topic here, I don't see what you mean with it tracking my altitude very well as it didn't track my altitude at all. This can clearly be seen in the video. The H flying height remains constant, and it's not tracking the altitude. You can see how much higher it is from the ground than it was in the beginning!

Thanks for the filming tips. Both options would definitely improve.

As for the altitude tracking, which was the topic here, I don't see what you mean with it tracking my altitude very well as it didn't track my altitude at all. This can clearly be seen in the video. The H flying height remains constant, and it's not tracking the altitude. You can see how much higher it is from the ground than it was in the beginning!

Was the wizard in the waterproof case when this was done? I'm just curious because when I looked at the case I did wonder how well the barometer would work in a sealed case.

Was the wizard in the waterproof case when this was done? I'm just curious because when I looked at the case I did wonder how well the barometer would work in a sealed case.

No, it was not. In my pocket without the case.

One additional note. The descending speed of the H seems to be really slow when in Smart-mode (follow-me/watch-me). When manualy controlling it with the Wizard, that is. Yesterday I was testing the Journey-task with the ST16, and when returning/desending from the Journey (peak point), it came back down with SIGNIFICANTLY faster speed.

The barometer in my iPhone is surprisingly accurate at tracking number of flights of stairs climbed so the wizard barometer should be even better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelNiece