Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Point-Of-Interest (POI) malfunction

Hi Omarcito,
I am feeling you anguish and disappointment.
1) First thing I noted was , why were you flying the H from inside your RV.
2) The interference from all the metal and surrounding electrical gear ,it is a wonder that the ST16 even was able to connect and fly your H .
3) In the manual provided with the H there are clear instructions on using all of the features of the H safely . Please read them over and over many times so that it becomes second nature. When you practice flying do it without the CAMERA attached as it works out cheaper.
Post a picture of the broken H and see what we come up with for you to repair it .
Please make sure you down load and read the manual provided to you by Doom mister in lthread 16 and read the printing off the paper. If you stick with this forum and ask questions that you can not get an answer to, someone from here will help get you on the correct path.
It is a great potty that you joined the forum only after your accident, things may have been different if it was earlier. Regards John Hennessy ( Johnno)
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
Also to your statement about the obstacle avoidance switch, it has to be at the bottom of the 3 place switching to be operational, this is also in the manual. I cannot stress enough to read the manual and practice and get familiar with your H before you venture into the added features.

Last edited:
I keep getting an invalid dataset in the Q500log2kml program. This is usually a result of the csv files being opened in another program that tags the file (such as Excel).
You are right, better to have the original files. Nobody reads more than 1000 datasets as text file, always tools are used. It needs additional effort to recover the data. In this case you have to search and replace TAB with comma and rename the file to CSV. Then q500log2kml will read this.

I still believe that the crash was caused by vortex ring state, provoked by the excessive yaw movement due to too short distance from POI.
But I agree with @Omarcito that this case should be covered by the flight app. Start of POI task should be denied.
Unfortunately we will never see an update for the "old" Typhoon H anymore (my opinion).

br HE

Reactions: DoomMeister
Here are the zipped files.
And also a photo of the broken parts (Retract Module and the Folding Arm "A" Bracket Component w/Motor).

Broken parts.jpeg

Attachments

• Telemetry and Remote CSV.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 3
Hi Omarcito,
I am feeling you anguish and disappointment.
1) First thing I noted was , why were you flying the H from inside your RV.
2) The interference from all the metal and surrounding electrical gear ,it is a wonder that the ST16 even was able to connect and fly your H .
3) In the manual provided with the H there are clear instructions on using all of the features of the H safely . Please read them over and over many times so that it becomes second nature. When you practice flying do it without the CAMERA attached as it works out cheaper.
Post a picture of the broken H and see what we come up with for you to repair it .
Please make sure you down load and read the manual provided to you by Doom mister in lthread 16 and read the printing off the paper. If you stick with this forum and ask questions that you can not get an answer to, someone from here will help get you on the correct path.
It is a great potty that you joined the forum only after your accident, things may have been different if it was earlier. Regards John Hennessy ( Johnno)
Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
Also to your statement about the obstacle avoidance switch, it has to be at the bottom of the 3 place switching to be operational, this is also in the manual. I cannot stress enough to read the manual and practice and get familiar with your H before you venture into the added features.

John, thanks for the advice.
You're right but remember we are human and we always make mistakes... I'm disappointed because it couldn't happen if the flight app covered the error: Start of POI task should be denied.
About reading and learning the manual: yes that's true too, but I didn't have enough time as I wish to study it, that's human also.
Sorry about joined the forum after the accident but better later than never, what you think?
:)

Reactions: h-elsner
I see you uploaded the files again @Omarcito. I will take a look again tomorrow and report my findings. I’m sure it will be the same conclusion as @h-elsner . He wrote the program that I use (Q500log2kml.exe) to analyze telemetry and he is very talented at reading the files and coming to logical conclusions from them. I consider him my mentor as I have learned a lot from him.

It is a shame that many only find this forum after a mishap with their Yuneec drone. The Yuneec supplied documentation is just adequate and the user enhanced manuals here on the forum are far more complete. Hopefully you will be able to get your TH repaired and airborne again soon. We hope you will hang around and actively participate in the forum.

You are right, better to have the original files. Nobody reads more than 1000 datasets as text file, always tools are used. It needs additional effort to recover the data. In this case you have to search and replace TAB with comma and rename the file to CSV. Then q500log2kml will read this.

I still believe that the crash was caused by vortex ring state, provoked by the excessive yaw movement due to too short distance from POI.
But I agree with @Omarcito that this case should be covered by the flight app. Start of POI task should be denied.
Unfortunately we will never see an update for the "old" Typhoon H anymore (my opinion).

br HE
VRS with a hexecopter is difficult to get in to but not impossible. It's more common with quadcopters but even in quadcopters it's harder to get in to than it was a few years ago...improments with firmware have seen to that.

However, I've taken a look at the posted video and I agree with you that what I see looks very much like VRS...it shows all the hallmarks.

John, thanks for the advice.
You're right but remember we are human and we always make mistakes... I'm disappointed because it couldn't happen if the flight app covered the error: Start of POI task should be denied.
About reading and learning the manual: yes that's true too, but I didn't have enough time as I wish to study it, that's human also.
Sorry about joined the forum after the accident but better later than never, what you think?
:)
Omarcito,
I hope that I did not sound too school headmaster type, it was not intended. I agree with the idea that the St16 should deny the start of a mode untill all of the parameters is locked in. I feel for you and you are correct in that "it is better late than never".
The photo shows that you will need a new inside main chassis and a bottom shell, and you did not have the camera mounted at the time of the meeting with MOTHER EARTH.
I hope that you get it flying again soon and have some fun with it as they are great MACHINES. Johnno Hennessy.
Keep flying on the GREEN SIDE of the GRASS.

I took a quick look and am in agreement with @h-elsner, but I would like to look at it more in depth to see if I can come up with the rotation rate. I know it started out not being too bad, but got progressively faster as the seconds passed. Just before you exited the POI mode it was acting like an inverted top winding down.

When I was going to try out the POI mode I had read that after marking the Center Point you need to back up 4 meters (13 ft) before starting the orbit. I am not sure where I read that and can’t seem to find it now. I do have to agree that it is something that should be taken into account in the software. Maybe we can get @ogrench to update his excellent manual to warn about this very thing when using POI.

I trimmed the telemetry to encompass the start of POI mode to impact with the ground.

The orbit is initiated with left roll input on the right stick at 09:24:14.
The aircraft completes two orbits and revolutions over the next 18 seconds, then starts a rapid yaw motion making 4 revolutions in 4 seconds over about 1/4th of an orbit.
At 09:24:36 Right roll is applied and orbital direction is reversed and 2 full revolutions are made in the next 2 seconds.
At 09:24:38 thru 44 revolutions slow to 0.5 rev/sec as aircraft orbit travels to the right.
From 09:24:44 thru 49 there are 9 full revolutions made in that 5 seconds.
At 09:24:48 POI is exited but aircraft is unstable and descends rapidly.
During the rapid rotations you can also see excessive aircraft pitch and roll.

The error flags value of 32 is compass calibration and appeared right at the end. It was not a factor in the mishap.

Omarcito POI.jpg
Flight path in Google Earth

Aircraft pitch_roll_yaw.png
Aircraft pitch/roll/yaw

ST16 pitch_roll_yaw.png
ST-16 pitch/roll/yaw inputs

altitude_tas_error flags.png
altitude/tas/error flags

Reactions: h-elsner

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads