Hello Fellow Yuneec Pilot!
Join our free Yuneec community and remove this annoying banner!

Police handcuff, detain and ticket Part 107 Pilot under aircraft ordinance that does not apply

If I remember, Julius Caesar also had a comb-over... ;)

Reactions: thetrecker
Empire... not sure the clock started when empire was obtained, or the years developing. Tick-tock!

I think it was years developing.

Those that are history buffs might be hard pressed to determine who has been responsible for the greatest number of human deaths. Organized religion, communicable diseases, or politicians/heads of state. My perspective has the first and last fighting for the first position.

Over 60 million aborted babies here in United States. My perspective it's called murder! I don't think God takes this very lightly either!

I think it was years developing.

Those that are history buffs might be hard pressed to determine who has been responsible for the greatest number of human deaths. Organized religion, communicable diseases, or politicians/heads of state. My perspective has the first and last fighting for the first position.
I'd agree... over the historical timeline, I'd easily state it was the 1st, Religion if you consider all religions & associated wars.

On @AH-1G point of abortions... that is a large number, but sadly that's on the the lighter side in comparison to global. Many countries have no public discouragement, and often encouraged.

Reactions: AH-1G
When you hit 100, you're contemplating why am I still alive?o_O
All you do is make up stories, and talk about how many drugs you're taking to stay alive?o_O:eek:

An example of how knowning the law works to your benefit;
Hood River, OR has a water and event park located next to the Port of Hood River. The water park is managed by the Hood River Port Authority and uses the local police and Sheriff's departments for patrol and legal enforcement. The water park is heavily used by the public for sunbathing, paddle boarding, wind surfing, and kite boarding events. Between the harbor and the water park there is a long, wide sand spit that becomes exposed at certain times of the year based on the water level of the Columbia River. This sand spit area has its own parking lot and the parking lot is administered by the port authority.

Both locations are wonderful places to participate in aerial imagery activities but you have to demonstrate some restraint. When the areas become crowded with people you don't want to be a moron and fly over, through, or around the people but if you fly early in the mornings there will be no people. If you keep you aircraft over the water you can obtain some great shots of event activities when the beaches are crowded. Point being to avoid flying over people.

Researching the rules and visiting with port officials prior to flying there I found it was completely legal to fly at the water park, and that the port authority had no control of the sand spit area at all as it fell under federal waterway regulations. They even provided me with a copy of the port's legal team position covering the subject of drone activities, which supported legal flight operations. After kind words of thanks and receiving their permission to fly whenever it was safe to do so I set out to begin flights the following day.

Arriving at the water park and setting up early in the morning with almost nobody at the beach I was approached by one of the grounds keepers employed by the port. This individual was quite vocal in telling me that drones were not permitted in the port or park areas, that flight was illegal, and to leave immediately. I was polite but questioned his positon on the subject so he immediately stated he would call the police and have me removed. At that point I asked that he delay that action for just a moment in order to review the positions and documents provided by his employer the day before. After showing the documents and throwing the names of the people I had spoken to around a bit he admitted he just didn't like drones and would run them out every chance he got. He was not happy about it but admitted drone flight was legal there and walked away. I visited another location several weeks later, again early in the morning, and was setting up when I heard a shout from behind me stating that "you can't fly those things in the park, you need to take that somewhere else". Turning around I saw the same guy previously encountered. He did a quick double take and said, "Oh, it's you." then turned around and walked away. About a month or so later the same thing with the same guy happened at the sand spit area. He really wasn't happy when he was shown the port had no authority over that land mass at all.

As I haven't been up there is a couple years things may have changed since then so anyone visiting that area should check in with the port authority to check on current regulations before flying anything
For my hobby flights I sometimes like to fly near to reservoirs...capture a few shots of dams and the water that they are holding back. But sometimes I have to actually go onto land that is owned by the water authority. Now, although this land has public access (there are public footpaths that go over the land), the official stance of the water authority is that taking off with a drone from their land is prohibited. However, I have found that the water authority employees that I have run into (or they have run into me) generally have quite a relaxed attitude about me flying from their property. Indeed, many a time I've had a positive conversation with them and they have sometimes even suggested better places to fly from on their property. All but one.

I was flying a Phantom over Scammonden Water in west Yorkshire a couple of years ago and was about half way through a second battery when a water authority employee approached me and told me I wasn't supposed to fly there. I didn't argue with him and landed immediately. He hung around until I had packed up and only after I left the site did he go. I left to go to another reservoir (Dowry Reservoir) and flew another battery there. The point is that if you are asked to land and go away, then do so. There are always other places and more relaxed attitudes to be had elsewhere. Technically the guy was within his rights to send me on my way. Arguing with him would have been pointless and may have even got me into trouble...no skin of my nose to go to another reservoir where I knew the employees didn't have a problem with me.

Pretty much the same land use rules here but being California the officials don't become very relaxed. Interestingly, those areas where employees will run you off or cite you for flying often end up where the employees are flying their own stuff with the full knowledge of their employers. They don't have permission but they are not inhibited in any way. It's pretty much the way our legal system has ended up, where a single law has multiple levels of enforcement (or non enforcement) depending on whom it's being applied to.

For my hobby flights I sometimes like to fly near to reservoirs...capture a few shots of dams and the water that they are holding back. But sometimes I have to actually go onto land that is owned by the water authority. Now, although this land has public access (there are public footpaths that go over the land), the official stance of the water authority is that taking off with a drone from their land is prohibited. However, I have found that the water authority employees that I have run into (or they have run into me) generally have quite a relaxed attitude about me flying from their property. Indeed, many a time I've had a positive conversation with them and they have sometimes even suggested better places to fly from on their property. All but one.

I was flying a Phantom over Scammonden Water in west Yorkshire a couple of years ago and was about half way through a second battery when a water authority employee approached me and told me I wasn't supposed to fly there. I didn't argue with him and landed immediately. He hung around until I had packed up and only after I left the site did he go. I left to go to another reservoir (Dowry Reservoir) and flew another battery there. The point is that if you are asked to land and go away, then do so. There are always other places and more relaxed attitudes to be had elsewhere. Technically the guy was within his rights to send me on my way. Arguing with him would have been pointless and may have even got me into trouble...no skin of my nose to go to another reservoir where I knew the employees didn't have a problem with me.
you have mentioned the fact that you are on private land ( with a right of way but still private owned ) so without permission you are not aloud to take off from there ( but if you find somewhere to take off on public land you can fly over it ) the main post is that he was legally flying his drone

you have mentioned the fact that you are on private land ( with a right of way but still private owned ) so without permission you are not aloud to take off from there ( but if you find somewhere to take off on public land you can fly over it ) the main post is that he was legally flying his drone
Yes. The official stance of the water authority is that drone flights taking off from their land is prohibited. The point is that, generally, the water authority employees who are technically supposed to enforce that prohibition do not, and in my experience couldn't really care less, so long as I'm flying safely.

Reactions: PatR and thetrecker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csandoval